Emma Raducanu | Page 4 | Vital Football

Emma Raducanu

The quality of the defence and brutality of the ground strokes (both women) was astonishing for teenagers.

Their serves weren't the greatest and when they get that aspect tightened up they will be monsters. It's one of the strengths of the ladies' game though. Often in the men's game matches can be ruined by a serve fest, whereas the ladies often deliver more intriguing contrasts in style with their ground strokes and footwork patterns.

Most importantly, congratulations to Raducanu for rewriting the history books.

I am watching this in the Mailbox with Jules and although I would prefer Radnacanu to win, I ain't going to be heartbroken if Fenerndez does. Both are a total credit to their sport and their youth. Good luck to both of them tonight and onwards.

Agree totally Ady, the 6-4 6-3 victory was much closer than the scoreline suggests, and it was unfortunate for Fernandez that the medical time out occurred when it did.

That said, an incredible tennis match and historic result, that’s SPOTY deservedly in the bag for Emma. :clap:

Two Extremely talented teenagers whose parents should and no doubt be very proud , No arrogance just like it should be lets hope they stay that way , Really wanted Emma to win Long time since Virginia wade days,

I'm not a big tennis fan, but that was fantastic viewing. Both were superb. Well done her.
Sweet effing Caroline FFS, ruined it!
Neither am I and when I posted it on FB that I was watching it, my brother posted surprise and I said "sometimes you just have to". Glad I did though as two really nice youngsters and a great game.

Sort of related...

Did anyone else watch the Darts tonight?
Fallon Sherrock reached the final and led Michael van Gerwen 6-3 at one stage and then 7-5.
Michael did eventually beat her but it was really close.

Fantastic for her and she seems a really nice (polite) kid . Hope she can stay grounded

Parted ways with her Lincolnshire based coach.. part of me thinks it’s a bit big time, but then I suppose you have to be ruthless if you want to be the best, hopefully it works for her!

Parted ways with her Lincolnshire based coach.. part of me thinks it’s a bit big time, but then I suppose you have to be ruthless if you want to be the best, hopefully it works for her!
Very, very common in tennis. For every Nadal that sticks with an Uncle Tony (well he is family when all is said and done) there are many others that regularly change coaches, either as they progress or to gain a fresh perspective.

It's sometimes quite amicable or at least often not as acrimonious as you may expect. Essentially it's an accepted treadmill on the tennis circuit.

The breed that tend to cling on like lichen are the tennis Dads, usually where daughters rather than sons are concerned.

Very, very common in tennis. For every Nadal that sticks with an Uncle Tony (well he is family when all is said and done) there are many others that regularly change coaches, either as they progress or to gain a fresh perspective.

It's sometimes quite amicable or at least often not as acrimonious as you may expect. Essentially it's an accepted treadmill on the tennis circuit.

The breed that tend to cling on like lichen are the tennis Dads, usually where daughters rather than sons are concerned.

Didn’t realise it was such common practice (not a huge tennis follower), I would imagine he’s been quite handsomely rewarded. Superb talent and will be watching more in the future!

Apparently he was selected on a short term basis so that she had someone familiar with her on her first tournament abroad (He had coached her between 11 and 13)

No-one expected her to go and win it...

He has almost no big tournament experience and she feels that she now needs that to develop her game and fitness

Didn’t realise it was such common practice (not a huge tennis follower), I would imagine he’s been quite handsomely rewarded. Superb talent and will be watching more in the future!
I don't know what percentage cut of the winnings the coaches get but I daresay he wasn't disappointed. I think her 'purse' for winning the competition was about £1.5M so even if he got 5% it wouldn't have been a bad fortnights work.

Apparently he was selected on a short term basis so that she had someone familiar with her on her first tournament abroad (He had coached her between 11 and 13)

No-one expected her to go and win it...

He has almost no big tournament experience and she feels that she now needs that to develop her game and fitness

Brilliant story for both then!