Emerson Royal - Player Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Emerson Royal - Player Thread

He wasn't great... Tough opponent on his debut but overall I didn't see much to get excited about. He didn't cover himself 8n glory for their third goal especially.

If I got skinned once in a game I would be livid with myself. I saw 3 skins some poor passing and poor positional awareness.

He might not be match fit or sharp yet though so fingers crossed we see an improvement next game.

Cristian Stellini insists it is ‘compulsory’ Emerson Royal is rewarded for Tottenham form with Brazil call-up

VIEW COMMENTS

By
Dan Kilpatrick
@Dan_KP
23 hours ago

Tottenham assistant manager Cristian Stellini has said Brazil must recall Emerson Royal if the wing-back keeps up his fine form for the club.
Emerson appeared to be the weak link in Antonio Conte’s side in the first half of the season - prompting Spurs to spend £40million on a new right wing-back, Pedro Porro, in January - but the Brazilian has been excellent in the last few games.

He opened the scoring in a standout display in last weekend’s 2-0 win over West Ham and is expected to keep Porro out of the side again for Sunday’s home derby against Chelsea.

The 24-year-old has seven caps for his country but not been included in the squad since he was sent off after 20 minutes against Ecuador in January 2022, and sat out the World Cup as the Selecao reached the quarter-finals.

Managerless Brazil return to action with a friendly against semi-finalists Morocco next month and Stellini believes they may have little choice but to name Emerson in the squad.

“If he continues to play like this, I think it’s compulsory for Brazil to recall him,” said Stellini, who will deputise for Conte again on Sunday as the head coach continues to recovery from gallbladder surgery in Italy. “I hope for him that that can happen.”

Emerson earned a standing ovation from the home fans when he was replaced in the second half against West Ham, having faced jeers in the final game before the World Cup break, Spurs’ 4-3 win over Leeds.

Stellini believes the defender, who joined Spurs from Barcelona in summer 2020, can lose confidence if not supported but says he has adapted to the culture of English football.

“We have different cultures in Europe and South America,” Stellini said. “Emerson needed time to understand the difference in the culture of football.

“But at the same time, he has to be himself. He has to show who he is. Sometimes this type of player loses confidence if he doesn’t feel love around him.

“We don’t have to stop to give him this, but let him understand the difference in the type of football. When his pace and his intensity is really high, he can enjoy. When he thinks too much, he’s not the same player. So we have to follow this aspect, to feel Emerson every time being involved in the game.”

Stellini also believes Emerson lost momentum during the World Cup break and during a three match ban in October after he was sent off in the defeat at Arsenal.

“Also, not to give him an excuse [but] he lost the pace after the three-match ban and the World Cup,” Stellini added.

“This season is completely different if you compare with the other seasons - the World Cup changed the pace for many players and many teams.”

It just goes to show how we can write a player off too quickly. Football fans aren’t the most patient and expect players to hit the ground running.

It speaks volumes about this lad’s character, the way he’s bounced back. As fans we gets pissed off when players don’t show loyalty but surely it works both ways and we as fans need to back our players (especially when they are going through a rough time)

I saw a unity amongst the players yesterday that I haven’t seen in a while. They seem like a group pulling in the same direction, working for one another. Long may it continue.

The minute I heard how much money and free time he was personally spending on training his game to be more like Hakimi's, I knew he would eventually come good. Ever since he arrived I have felt he gave 110% every game and that always impressed me. I'm not saying I was always confident he would turn into the player we needed, because there were definitely times when I thought adapting his game from LB to LWB may be beyond him.

I'm chuffed for the lad. He is one of our best performers at the moment.

He always had the physicality to deal with the PL & as a defensive minded RB he looked a very good option. Converting him into a WB was always going to prove to be difficult. Thankfully he looks to have finally made the transition & is looking all the better for it.

Once again, we must credit Paraticci and his scouting team for getting him in; it must have taken some balls to pay £30 mill for him, yet, once again, Paraticci has been validated.

Has he made a bad buy yet?!

Once again, we must credit Paraticci and his scouting team for getting him in; it must have taken some balls to pay £30 mill for him, yet, once again, Paraticci has been validated.

Has he made a bad buy yet?!
I dunno about that. As happy as i was that we signed Yves the jury's still out as to whether he's an improvement or not.

The last 4 out of 5 games where he's been nowhere near the team and Stellini and mason have applied their own thoughts, proves that.
He was in charge for the Fulham game though (as well as Leicester) and I remember you complimenting him afterwards on tweaking the system.

It's hard to believe he's having no input on this or that Stellini/Mason are acting independently of him.

Not gonna get carried away as he remains work in progress, but heading in the right direction. Having scored a beautiful goal v Spammers, his effort v Chelsea was very poor as well as couple of meh passess/crosses. He remains a bit of a hit/miss in the final 3rd. But I enjoyed his movement and ball carrying advances. Some more refinements and I too may start ramping his credentials!

Not gonna get carried away as he remains work in progress, but heading in the right direction. Having scored a beautiful goal v Spammers, his effort v Chelsea was very poor as well as couple of meh passess/crosses. He remains a bit of a hit/miss in the final 3rd. But I enjoyed his movement and ball carrying advances. Some more refinements and I too may start ramping his credentials!

The interesting thing is all the players are now looking for him to pass to where as a few weeks ago they were avoiding him as much as possible.

The interesting thing is all the players are now looking for him to pass to where as a few weeks ago they were avoiding him as much as possible.
Can't disagree. There's no doubt he poses a threat. He can be all over the place and I've lost count the number of times he's in the opposition's box (ditto Romero). He can be a nightmare to mark. Still, if he can polish up the final 3rd contribution I'd stop whining about never having replaced Walker!

...and ironic that seeing Romero and Emerson's forays in to the opposition box makes you question......what grid system?!

He was in charge for the Fulham game though (as well as Leicester) and I remember you complimenting him afterwards on tweaking the system.

It's hard to believe he's having no input on this or that Stellini/Mason are acting independently of him.

I was more complimentary about the players taking matters into their own hands after the meeting with him. I really am not impressed by him at all now, but I accept he might yet redeem himself. We shall see.