Emerson Royal - Player Thread | Vital Football

Emerson Royal - Player Thread

Gary Onedaysoon

*Prediction Champion 20/21 & 21/22*
A positive review to kick off with -

Versatile, skilful, strong – Emerson Royal is modern right back who could thrill Spurs by Tomas Hill Lopez-Menchero

Emerson Royal would have hoped to stay at Barcelona for longer. It was only earlier this month that he gave an interview to Diario Sport, the Catalan sports newspaper, in which he expressed how excited he was to be at the Nou Camp. “It’s difficult to put these emotions into words,” he said. “[When] you have a dream and it comes true, it’s incredible.”

That dream now looks to be a short-lived one. Emerson signed for Barça from Atlético Mineiro in January 2019, but the Brazilian right back spent his first two-and-a-half seasons in Spanish football at Real Betis as part of a deal between the three clubs. The Catalan giants exercised their right to buy Emerson outright this summer, meaning the 22-year-old only made his first start on Sunday in their 2-1 win against Getafe. He has played three times for them — with all appearances coming this season.

Now, in another twist in Barcelona’s strange transfer window, he has joined Tottenham Hotspur for £25.8 million. And yet, the Brazilian’s departure is no reflection of his quality. Nicknamed “Royal” by his aunt after the jelly brand of the same name’s cartoon mascot, the right back was outstanding last season as Manuel Pellegrini’s Betis side secured Europa League football.

Emerson’s attacking strengths were never in doubt at Betis. The Brazilian enjoys getting forward, scoring five goals and laying on ten in all competitions during his time in Seville. He showed Barça what he was capable of in a narrow 3-2 defeat last season, using his pace to hold off Jordi Alba before turning in a fine low cross for striker Borja Iglesias to finish. According to Opta, he created the sixth most chances including assists (33) and completed the joint-fifth most successful crosses (22) of any La Liga defender last season.

But it is in defence where Emerson has improved the most since arriving in Spain. The right back’s strong physique and tireless work-rate make him a difficult one-on-one opponent as well as an attacking threat. He made 91 tackles and 61 interceptions last season, the second and fourth-most of any La Liga defender and a significant increase on figures of 74 and 31 from his first full campaign at Betis.

Comparisons with Dani Alves were inevitable at Barça — Emerson made his full Brazil debut in 2019 and featured for his national side at the Copa América this summer. But the 22-year-old is not as technically gifted as his more illustrious compatriot. That is perhaps partly why the Catalans decided to offload him this summer, with the US international Sergiño Dest and academy graduate Sergi Roberto both in their ranks. Barça’s woeful financial situation also dictates that they were likely to sell Emerson if presented with a reasonable offer.

Still, Spurs are signing a hugely promising defender and a modern full back who showed his capacity to learn at Betis. While Emerson has tended to play as a right back in a back four, he can also play as a right wing back in a back five.

“I became very confident,” he said of his adaptation to life at Betis in that interview with Diario Sport. “I came from Brazil, from a completely different style of football, and needed to adapt quickly [to La Liga] because the team were in desperate need of a right back. I needed to learn Spanish quickly in order to understand my team-mates and the coach. It was difficult at first, but the experience forced me to grow as a person and as an athlete.”

Emerson will need all of that confidence to make the transition from Catalonia to north London, having barely arrived in Barcelona. Given how he has coped with the changes in his career, one expects he will be up to the challenge.

Comparisons with Dani Alves were inevitable at Barça — Emerson made his full Brazil debut in 2019 and featured for his national side at the Copa América this summer. But the 22-year-old is not as technically gifted as his more illustrious compatriot. That is perhaps partly why the Catalans decided to offload him this summer.

We have enough players who are not technically gifted, it looks as though we have purchased another.

I have never seen him play. Only seen video clips.

He literally reminds me of Sissoko at RB. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but I'm not convinced.

Would rather we signed KWP back. He is looking good these days.

Tanganga is number 1 RB for me. He has had Mane, Salah, Grealish and Fodden in his pocket over the years. That is enough for me to know he has what it takes.

Not as technically gifted as Dani Alves. Well eff me, most of our current squad could be described as that. I wont hold anything against the lad until he has had a good chance.

I would suggest Tanganga isnt the most technically gifted because he relies heavily on physical attributes in his game for both defence and attack. He still seems to be the one defender we have who can give and go and get telling balls into oppo box without having to be technically gifted.

Lets not go looking for issues until they show up

I think it also depends on your role as a RB. A lot of the time Walker's role was to own the entire right hand side, push the opposition back and keep 2 men concerned about his pace.

Eriksen had a field day because of it.

Pep transformed into the player he is today i.e. far more selective in his runs forward and not cramping Mahrez's style.

Emerson and Tanganga will have to figure out exactly what Nuno wants from them.

FIFA .
Technically Gifted – Decent pace, balance, agility, ball control, dribbling and high passing stats. Awful stamina and strength. Rare to be over 5'10. Acceleration grows faster than Sprint Speed naturally.

13 Mar 2021

there you go .

seems awful stamina and strength is a consideration as well .
Xavi was considered to be technically gifted .
Apparently .

some nice social media posts about Spurs since. Seems genuinely happy to be here, but understandable to be miffed with Barca letting him go weeks after saying he wasn't for sale unless someone wanted to pay the 300M EUR release clause and they hoped he'd stay there for years to come.

some nice social media posts about Spurs since. Seems genuinely happy to be here, but understandable to be miffed with Barca letting him go weeks after saying he wasn't for sale unless someone wanted to pay the 300M EUR release clause and they hoped he'd stay there for years to come.
He was third in line at RB for Barca and Koemmans was happy for him to go as his game time would be limited.

solely because of their financial position I believe

emerson.jpg

I don't profess to have watched him but when we were first linked to him I saw Barca fans had a little meltdown on twitter about it. They think we've mugged them right off.

Royal seems to be getting a bit of a hammering and yet he got the 3rd best rating by the forum posters and the 3rd best rating by the forum/media combined (excluding Dier from the media - I don't see how a valid assessment can be made of a player on the pitch for 12 minutes).

And he had the toughest task of the afternoon which, in the main, he stuck to well.

Debutant, in a new league, in a new country, and still relatively young and inexperienced, yet seemingly written off already.

Welcome to Spurs.

Royal seems to be getting a bit of a hammering and yet he got the 3rd best rating by the forum posters and the 3rd best rating by the forum/media combined (excluding Dier from the media - I don't see how a valid assessment can be made of a player on the pitch for 12 minutes).

And he had the toughest task of the afternoon which, in the main, he stuck to well.

Debutant, in a new league, in a new country, and still relatively young and inexperienced, yet seemingly written off already.

Welcome to Spurs.

To be honest, I expected more. I hope that he has more to offer and quickly comes up to scratch with the physicality of the prem.