Ellis Chapman Set To Join Cheltenham Town - Your Thoughts In 150 Words? | Vital Football

Ellis Chapman Set To Join Cheltenham Town - Your Thoughts In 150 Words?

Good luck to him. He's nowhere near the level of the lads we have at present, so probably doing the right thing.

To be fair to Ellis it looks like a good move. He was a squad player last season and with the recruitment since January, I would have thought he would have been further down the pecking order. I think he knew that hence not tying himself up with a contract. Cheltenham are a decent outfit who should be competing for promotion/play-offs. Regular footy at this level will help him develop. Once he starts to bulk up he should begin to move upwards. Hopefully we will have some sort of sell on clause to reflect the development we’ve put in. If that’s there it’s a great outcome for everyone.

Pleased the saga is almost over, at least he will have a job, and hope he does well for himself. Danny always thought a lot of him but in spite of trying to see something, I never really did. The sending off against Cambridge did not help his confidence one bit.
UTI.

I think most Lincoln fans wanted him to do really well, but most of the time he was just an average league two/conference player.
He might keep developing and start climbing the leagues but I think we are just not in a position financially to take that gamble.
It is a gamble as well, because he might just tread water or go the other way.
I wish nothing but good luck though, and hope we get a bit of compensation for him which will come in handy.

Will we have agreed compensation on this? if so it could be a contribution towards us suddenly being able to afford a deal for Gotts.

You can’t imagine it would be much of a fee if any, happy to have a sell on in case he’s a late developer

The fee aspect to me was always a strange beastie. This is a player who simply left us in June at the end of his contract so what in reality can we claim in terms of any money. If you move electricity provider you simply go to the new provider and this is a player who left us four months ago. Could such a requirement actually have put off some clubs? I really don't know but you wouldn't have thought that Cheltenham are in a position to pay any significant compensation fee. So if we are entitled to some compensation why not throw the dice and have it as a sell on aspect should Cheltenham make some significant money on him in a few years time. Yes he might end up on another free transfer but if he starts to fulfill that potential a 20/25% sell on would get us more money than we are looking at now. That's if we are entitled ( and I do believe that we are from previous posts)

Either way good luck to him. He was seemingly looking for more first team opportunities and that's no bad thing. The potential was there and at 19 he's got plenty of time to get to that next level, and he'll get those chances at Cheltenham.

A good move for Chapman and probably a good move for Lincoln. Comments about him just being an average L2 player, describe perfectly his level now (but not his potential )and his reason for not wanting to stay at Lincoln.

He is still 19 and a similar age to when Harry Anderson first came to Lincoln. The progress the club and Anderson have made have fitted perfectly for both parties and we now have a good L1 player that is still improving.

Chapman returned as a 16 year old from a spell in Leicester's youth set up. However, the progress from NL to top of L1 for Lincoln has meant every time Chapman has improved, to be nearing the standard required, the club's playing level has also improved.

Chapman to thrive at Lincoln was born about 4 years too late. However, the good news for him is that at 19, he is already an average L2 player, when Anderson was an average NL player at the same age.

What Chapman needs and no doubt wants is games. He will hopefully get that at Cheltenham and in four years time could exceed Anderson's progress and be a Championship player.

That part however is up to him. If he gets his head down and works hard, he is now in a good place to succeed.

I wish him well, and hope he fulfils his potential and that we have some good sell on clauses, in the event he proves his doubters wrong.

Never saw much at all from him.
And not to do with his age or lack of experience. Just take a look at Sean Roughan for comparison, he is already staking a solid claim as a first choice League One defender.
Ellis seems to have believed the hype (generated a lot by Danny Cowley) without then putting in the work to go with that hype.
Whether Danny believed Ellis was a genuine talent or not is also debatable. It may simply have been media bravado to earn us a chunky but unwarranted fee.
Anyway, at least he has now got another club. A small League Two club is really the best he could have hoped for.

Never saw much at all from him.
And not to do with his age or lack of experience. Just take a look at Sean Roughan for comparison, he is already staking a solid claim as a first choice League One defender.
Ellis seems to have believed the hype (generated a lot by Danny Cowley) without then putting in the work to go with that hype.
Whether Danny believed Ellis was a genuine talent or not is also debatable. It may simply have been media bravado to earn us a chunky but unwarranted fee.
Anyway, at least he has now got another club. A small League Two club is really the best he could have hoped for.

We'll compared notes in four years time and see who is nearer the mark.

It's always a shame when another player who was once the next hope for coming through from the academy and making it moves on isn't it. Usually not really a surprise though.

Good luck to him. Needs regular football, not yet good enough for this standard of football but does have potential. Like Luke says big couple of years.