Ellis Chapman Rejects Deal | Page 5 | Vital Football

Ellis Chapman Rejects Deal

You have to remember there will hundreds of players in a similar boat either as good or a bit better on the market and not for the same money as 6 months ago

Everyone knows if you’ve got a saleable asset you don’t let their contract run to the last 6 months and especially when he’s not getting any game time
Well that was down to DC then. He was probably already thinking about how best to be able to sign him for a new club

I don't recall any team making an approach, official or otherwise for Ellis last January so I don't think we were in a position to make any further profit in any case
I know what your saying mate but any unofficial approach which does happen we certainly won’t know about it or Lincoln for that matter ... it goes on all the time, be interesting to see where he goes now though

I know what your saying mate but any unofficial approach which does happen we certainly won’t know about it or Lincoln for that matter ... it goes on all the time, be interesting to see where he goes now though
Players are free to talk to other clubs with or without permission in the last six months of their contract

Just as well considering what we were paying some of them.

The huge success that the Cowleys had clearly came at a cost. However, plenty of managers around the country have spent heavily trying to win promotion and have failed spectacularly. Fair play to the Cowleys for what they achieved whilst they were here. History will look back favourably on them.

Appleton has a big supporter base to work with now, thanks to what the Cowleys and their team achieved. Maybe it will prove to be a masterstroke to get rid of all of the Cowleys team, cut the wages, and hopefully create a good, new and competitive team for next season?

However, and this is my big worry, around 6000 regular home supporters have only seen winning football. It won't take much for them to drift away again, and choose to do something else in their weekends.

The huge success that the Cowleys had clearly came at a cost. However, plenty of managers around the country have spent heavily trying to win promotion and have failed spectacularly. Fair play to the Cowleys for what they achieved whilst they were here. History will look back favourably on them.

Appleton has a big supporter base to work with now, thanks to what the Cowleys and their team achieved. Maybe it will prove to be a masterstroke to get rid of all of the Cowleys team, cut the wages, and hopefully create a good, new and competitive team for next season?

However, and this is my big worry, around 6000 regular home supporters have only seen winning football. It won't take much for them to drift away again, and choose to do something else in their weekends.

Not sure we'd be winning that regularly L1 level with the Cowleys - it's a tough league.

I think you mean 3000-4000 of them to drift away.

Struggled defensively a bit. Seemed a bit static and opponents were able to move the ball around him a bit too easily. He is only a kid after all and will improve his reading of that part of his game in time.
Would raise a question as to where is his best position at this point in his career. Probably not central midfield yet, probably not wide left as he won't drive to the byline. Possibly a number 10 type role but doubt he would be first choice there.
A lovely footballer in the making though and usually makes good decisions with the ball at his feet. He just needs more time and patient management to flourish. Obviously thinks he can get that elsewhere so good luck to him.

I don’t really see what the club are supposed to do? If 4000 fans are so fickle that they disappear after some bad results then that’s not the clubs fault, and to my mind it doesn’t justify trying to chase being competitive at the top end of League One, spending money we don’t have. Similarly if some fans can’t see past the personality cult and support Lincoln for what they are, then I’d really rather be back to gates of 4-5000.

To be honest I don't agree and I just don't see any drop off being that dramatic once full crowds are allowed back in and there is vaccine etc and there are a number of reasons for that.

1. Over 80% of the 6,300 season ticket holders we have chose to buy shares in the club rather than have the money back. Some of those that will have had refunds will have also been for economic reasons and not because their support is diminishing and some just see that I have hadn't had the matches so I should have my money back but it doesn't mean they will stop coming.

2. Over 4,000 have already committed with early bird season tickets that was up on the season before

3. People have got back into the habit of coming again and even if we don't win the atmosphere and experience at Sincil Bank is light years away from what it was years ago.

4. The reason the crowds had got so low was because we had basically being abysmal for over 10 years and had always finished in the bottom half. You have to remember that when we were doing well under Keith and Schoey we were still averaging over 5,000.

5. I don't think the amount of extra fans are just "new fans" as some call them. I know of a number of fans who are now committed season ticket holders and who only came occasionally in the last few years before the Cowleys because we had been utter crap for so long and the atmosphere and experience was pretty flat.

6. You have to rememebr we are in League 1 now not League 2 or the National League and we are regularly playing some pretty big teams that is a draw in itself.

7. Finally I think we will have a winning team under MA it may not be the instant revolution of the Cowleys but I firmly believe he will guide us into The Championship.

To be honest I don't agree and I just don't see any drop off being that dramatic once full crowds are allowed back in and there is vaccine etc and there are a number of reasons for that.

1. Over 80% of the 6,300 season ticket holders we have chose to buy shares in the club rather than have the money back. Some of those that will have had refunds will have also been for economic reasons and not because their support is diminishing and some just see that I have hadn't had the matches so I should have my money back but it doesn't mean they will stop coming.

2. Over 4,000 have already committed with early bird season tickets that was up on the season before

3. People have got back into the habit of coming again and even if we don't win the atmosphere and experience at Sincil Bank is light years away from what it was years ago.

4. The reason the crowds had got so low was because we had basically being abysmal for over 10 years and had always finished in the bottom half. You have to remember that when we were doing well under Keith and Schoey we were still averaging over 5,000.

5. I don't think the amount of extra fans are just "new fans" as some call them. I know of a number of fans who are now committed season ticket holders and who only came occasionally in the last few years before the Cowleys because we had been utter crap for so long and the atmosphere and experience was pretty flat.

6. You have to rememebr we are in League 1 now not League 2 or the National League and we are regularly playing some pretty big teams that is a draw in itself.

7. Finally I think we will have a winning team under MA it may not be the instant revolution of the Cowleys but I firmly believe he will guide us into The Championship.

I agree with an awful lot of this but realistically I cannot see us being able to compete for long at the top of League 1 and go into the Championship. I know Scunny did it but wasn't money being pumped in that's no longer there? Hence the big decline? We have a very good fan base which is great, like you said the majority have took up the early bird option, so we have much to look forward to.

I think you mean 3000-4000 of them to drift away.

Wasn't there a fall off of around 900 on the average compared to the L2 championship season? This despite playing some very well supported sides. I personally think that was to be expected unless we were in the playoff places.
On the subject of drifting fans, Hull potentially coming down have lost between 9,000 and 10,000 since relegation from the top flight, they have not really been a well-supported side over the years since I have been watching to a point in the late 90's they averaged below 4,000 more than once.

Hi Casper
I think also we will do well under MA but financial wise I still think we could do with at least 2 more seasons in Div 1 to get our financial position more healthy.

Attendances plunged from 9006 to 8986.
I think the 'home' attendances rose?

We also lost the Coventry and Doncaster sell-out games, plus AFCW and Rochdale were towards the end of the season, which are usually well supported.

Do
Wasn't there a fall off of around 900 on the average compared to the L2 championship season? This despite playing some very well supported sides. I personally think that was to be expected unless we were in the playoff places.
On the subject of drifting fans, Hull potentially coming down have lost between 9,000 and 10,000 since relegation from the top flight, they have not really been a well-supported side over the years since I have been watching to a point in the late 90's they averaged below 4,000 more than once.
Don't forget Hull has two rugby league clubs and it does make a difference. None of my wife's extended family have ever been to a Hull City football match but they have all been to watch Hull KR at some point in their lives, some of them regularly. That's about 15 from one family. Their gates are traditionally poor for a relatively large city but that is definitely in part to the rugby.

There are quite a large number boycotting while Allam is still the owner so that isn't all relegation based and slightly different circumstances to compare.