Ellis Chapman Rejects Deal | Page 3 | Vital Football

Ellis Chapman Rejects Deal

Its always sad when a “home prospect” doesn’t sign on when offered a deal but having a look at the other talent MA has brought in, I’m sure we can do better.

I only ever saw him pass the ball backwards anyway...

The new Ray Wilkins! What have we done?

The lad is still only 19. Very few 19 year old's break into a senior side and become regulars. He has plenty of time to develop into a fine player and it is a shame he won't be trying to do that with Lincoln.

In today's society, sometimes, people want things a little too quickly. Time will tell whether his next step will be a step up and give him what he wants, or whether it will just be a short-term bump in wages.

Either way, I thank him for his contribution and wish him well for the future.

It will probably do him good to get away from Lincoln for a while. Must have faced a lot of peer group pressure from outside the Club. A chance to prove himself to himself; wish him luck in a fickle sport and at a difficult time.

I want to wish Ellis every success in the future. To me, he seems to have a lot of talent and I hope that he proves that by having a great footballing career in the future. It is also a shame to lose a local player, as that can be so inspiring to the local youngsters who have a local role model to look up to. They can dream that maybe one day they can play for Lincoln too. MA has more or less removed every playing link to the Cowley days now. We will see how good MA is, with his own players, in 2020/21. Good luck Ellis!

Has this been confirmed by anyone besides Michael Hortin? It seems a bit odd that the club has not announced it.

I have to say, I am ambivalent about this. Quite rightly, we have all been patient because of his age: players have to be given time to develop. But be honest - has he really done so? He has made 31 appearances including 18 starts (without scoring, I could add), and I am struggling to recall anything of real note so far.

At some point, young players have to make a significant step up: they cannot remain promising young players indefinitely. The question is, when is that likely to be? Both Danny and Michael have given him game time, but what has he really delivered? I would have been perfectly happy to give him one more season in which to show something more, but with MA's sights set firmly on the Championship, I cannot see him getting many games in which to do so.

On that basis, it is probably the right decision to move on. He obviously thinks he can do better elsewhere, and that is his prerogative. It is a very brave thing to do, given the current circumstances. He may become an excellent footballer, and I hope he does. But I remain unconvinced, and that is a shame.

The 2019-20 season has shown us that there are some very good young players available to us who - dare I say - are better options. Aaron Lewis, Tayo Edun, Anthony Scully, Conor Coventry and Tyreece John-Jules would all fall into that category, so we need to have confidence in MA to employ the right ones. He has done very well so far in that area, and reduced budgets will only make that more important.

I have to say, I am ambivalent about this. Quite rightly, we have all been patient because of his age: players have to be given time to develop. But be honest - has he really done so? He has made 31 appearances including 18 starts (without scoring, I could add), and I am struggling to recall anything of real note so far.

At some point, young players have to make a significant step up: they cannot remain promising young players indefinitely. The question is, when is that likely to be? Both Danny and Michael have given him game time, but what has he really delivered? I would have been perfectly happy to give him one more season in which to show something more, but with MA's sights set firmly on the Championship, I cannot see him getting many games in which to do so.

On that basis, it is probably the right decision to move on. He obviously thinks he can do better elsewhere, and that is his prerogative. It is a very brave thing to do, given the current circumstances. He may become an excellent footballer, and I hope he does. But I remain unconvinced, and that is a shame.

The 2019-20 season has shown us that there are some very good young players available to us who - dare I say - are better options. Aaron Lewis, Tayo Edun, Anthony Scully, Conor Coventry and Tyreece John-Jules would all fall into that category, so we need to have confidence in MA to employ the right ones. He has done very well so far in that area, and reduced budgets will only make that more important.

Just hope he finds another decent Club and has a good career. I can only comment on what I saw, but when he started or came on as a sub I didnt think wow this will make the side stronger, he lacked confidence in my opinion and was too easily bullied off the ball. Danny thought lots of him and could be a better judge of a player than me !!!

;)

The thing with people’s view of Chapman being “has he really done much yet” when we compare him to the likes of Eden, Coventry etc is this.

Whereas we haven’t been a witness to the other young players “not really having done too much yet” like Edun and Coventry, we have see Chapman’s development at very close quarters.

My guess is there are a number of clubs thinking Chapman may be a very good player in the future and I reckon they will be right.

He ain’t a natural at the defensive stuff but he has some vision and a really good left foot and will be a big physical specimen.

Another way of looking at it is this is the first example of the new model. Which started before it was our new model.

We signed Chapman, have improved his market worth and now look set to benefit financially, allowing the money to be ploughed back into the playing budget.

If Chapman had been playing regularly and doing well in L1 at his age hed be talked off as a potential million pound player... he has not managed that, but its not a massive stretch to imagine him kicking on soon. It is difficult to make an impression without a run of games. Disappointing.

To play devils advocate re Cowley thinks he’s a very good player, the way to boost someone’s confidence to becoming a decent player is to fill them with praise.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think there’s any chance of Chapman going to Huddersfield, however I wish him the very best!

Will be interesting to see what we get for him on a tribunal. With only a small number of appearances, it's hard to see any big bucks going into the playing budget. £50k tops?

Don't know if this is possible when it comes to tribunal fees, but can we get a sell-on clause included in the deal? That's probably our best hope for some kind of windfall; especially from the little I've seen of him, he looks like someone with potential if he ends up at the right club playing regularly.

Given that Michael seems to want to play 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1 depending on where you see Hopper fitting in I guess) and he apparently wants an experienced spine, that would suggest that Ellis would have been fighting over one spot in central midfield.

I don't think anyone thinks Ellis is a better prospect than say Tayo Edun? Suspect Michael has had one of his "frank and honest conversations" with Ellis and said he won't be starting, in which case good luck to Ellis I hope he makes it work, he's kept his head down and got on with battling for a first team place without apparently moaning and now feels his future is elsewhere (his Dad could do with typing all over social media a bit less though, the lad is 19 he can take care of himself can't he?)

Will be interesting to see what we get for him on a tribunal. With only a small number of appearances, it's hard to see any big bucks going into the playing budget. £50k tops?

Don't know if this is possible when it comes to tribunal fees, but can we get a sell-on clause included in the deal? That's probably our best hope for some kind of windfall; especially from the little I've seen of him, he looks like someone with potential if he ends up at the right club playing regularly.
Somewhere in the 10%-25% seems to be the norm. My guess would be 20%.

It wasn't many years ago 50k would have been considered very very good business for us...

Given that Michael seems to want to play 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1 depending on where you see Hopper fitting in I guess) and he apparently wants an experienced spine, that would suggest that Ellis would have been fighting over one spot in central midfield.

I don't think anyone thinks Ellis is a better prospect than say Tayo Edun? Suspect Michael has had one of his "frank and honest conversations" with Ellis and said he won't be starting, in which case good luck to Ellis I hope he makes it work, he's kept his head down and got on with battling for a first team place without apparently moaning and now feels his future is elsewhere (his Dad could do with typing all over social media a bit less though, the lad is 19 he can take care of himself can't he?)
Whats his dad got to say?