Einstein was right... | Vital Football

Einstein was right...

Spursex

Alert Team
Astronomers see back of a black hole for first time, proving Albert Einstein was right

Researchers prove theory through studying a supermassive black hole 800 million light years away

By Joe Pinkstone, Science Correspondent 28 July 2021 • 4:00pm

TELEMMGLPICT000265939601_1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqaivqAvBJWkUV8VzepAMjBWg0TJpuNJgIas2KgYggLBI.jpeg

The finding further backs up the theory of general relativity

Astronomers have managed to look behind a black hole for the first time and have proved that Albert Einstein was right about how these mysterious celestial behemoths behave.
An international team of researchers used high-powered X-ray telescopes to study a supermassive black hole 800 million light years away at the centre of a distant galaxy.
The researchers saw the usual hallmarks of a black hole, but they also spotted light – in the form of X-rays – which was being emitted by the far side of the black hole.
Black holes are born when a gargantuan star explodes in a supernova and then collapses in on itself. This forms an incomprehensibly dense material which swallows up everything in its general vicinity, and therefore it should be impossible to see light from the back of a black hole.
However, Einstein’s dogmatic theory of general relativity predicted in 1915 that the gravitational pull of black holes is likely so enormous that they warp the very fabric of space, twisting magnetic fields and bending light.
As a result, Einstein’s work asserted that it should be possible to see light waves ejected from the far side of the black hole because of the distorted magnetic fields acting as a mirror.
mqdefault.jpg

Experts accepted the theory, but have been unable to directly observe the phenomenon until now, thanks to modern telescopes and the development of highly sensitive instruments.
Dan Wilkins, an astrophysicist at Stanford University, was studying the mechanics of how a black hole rips atoms and electrons apart, and the X-rays this subsequently produces. Upon inspecting the data he saw what he expected, X-rays spewed directly towards Earth from the black hole’s core, but he also saw unexpected echoes shortly afterwards.
These, he said, are X-rays which were flung out in the opposite direction of Earth, but were reflected by the black hole’s mangled magnetic field.
The finding, published in Nature, yet again proves Einstein was correct, and further backs up the theory of general relativity.
“Fifty years ago, when astrophysicists starting speculating about how the magnetic field might behave close to a black hole, they had no idea that one day we might have the techniques to observe this directly and see Einstein’s general theory of relativity in action,” said Prof Roger Blandford, a co-author of the research, also from Stanford University.

It did my head in ,,when Professor Brian Cox
was saying that the distance between galaxies was changing. , he said the planets weren’t actually moving,,,it was the space in between them that was expanding .
I can’t get my head around that!

It did my head in ,,when Professor Brian Cox
was saying that the distance between galaxies was changing. , he said the planets weren’t actually moving,,,it was the space in between them that was expanding .
I can’t get my head around that!

No cant understand this concept either.

Unless he meant the space between galaxies was moving but the actual space between planets stars/ within each galaxy was more constant.

So Galaxies expand and move further away from each other but the relativity of distance within the galaxy remains.

For example, for me as a simpleton, a bit like continental drift on Earth........US and Africa are moving further apart but New York and Chicago and New Orleans remain approx the same distance apart as would say, Capetown, Durban and Johannesburg.

No doubt a physicist on here will put us right...in simple terms please.

I think you just helped me a bit there mate , I can understand your explanation,

if that is what he meant , I’m a bit happier now.
Professor G. Reavsie !

No, I need a more simple explanation. Our Solar system stays the same distance apart. Planets from each other and the Sun. But our galaxy is expanding ? So everything within that galaxy remains relative to each other in its own system ?

Everything is rattling around at the speed of light and going nowhere , disappearing up its own black hole .
Just like Lucas Moura really !

Wot I wrote earlier in the thread mate
The planets stay where they are , but the space in between gets bigger .
What’s not to understand about that ?
It happens every time I go to the pub , the space in between my house and the bar has expanded as I make my way home .
it takes me twice as long to get home but the distance between them is the same .
Simples.

It's all about gravity.

Galaxies are held together by dark matter.

The space between galaxies is dark energy. Which moves faster than the speed of light.

That's why everything is moving further away.

Give it a few million years and we won't be able to see certain galaxies as they will be so far away.

We need to get the James Webb telescope up into space. It will move to around a million miles from earth. It will be the strongest telescope ever made.

Once up and running the experts hope we can look back as far as the big bang.

It seems most galaxies have a giant super massive black hole at the centre. Even though they think they found some without one.

So most Galaxies started with the death of a giant star ?

It seems that is the case. It then sucks in everything like a Dyson.

The bigger galaxies have collided with numerous galaxies over billions of years. Meaning two black holes merging making it bigger and stronger.

When the universe ends the largest black hole will be the last thing standing. Well that's the theory anyway.

I really really cannot get my head around all this .
If a giant star exploded and formed the galaxies , what formed the giant star ?

My Biology teacher , Mr Norton , had the theory that our galaxies are nothing more than atoms in someones kitchen chair leg !

He also said that anything behind you , doesn’t actually exist until you turn around and look at it .
I think he may have been a bit before his time !

My Biology teacher , Mr Norton , had the theory that our galaxies are nothing more than atoms in someones kitchen chair leg !

He also said that anything behind you , doesn’t actually exist until you turn around and look at it .

That's a great way of describing a nutter.....he's a bit before his time.

Get your head around this.
Our solar system is travelling at 450,000 mph but it takes 230 million years at that speed to orbit around our galaxy the milky way. Our sun orbits around the centre of the milky way.
So we are part of a massive galaxy that was created when a huge star blew up. Our own star is orbiting around it. Earth is orbiting around the sun and the Earth is spinning on a tilted axis just the right distance from the Sun to allow life. The Earth also has a Moon which controls our tides.
Bloody clever God ain't he ?

https://physicsworld.com/a/how-massive-stars-form/

or you may prefer this explaination:

A Giant star is formed when a star like our sun, or one larger, runs out of its hydrogen fuel. Inside a star, hydrogen atoms are combined together to form helium atoms. This process creates the energy that the star needs to resist the force of gravity that is trying to crush the star together, and also causes the star to light up.

Once all of the hydrogen has been turned into helium (after about 5 to 10 billion years, depending on the size of the star) there is no longer energy keeping the star from collapsing, so gravity takes over and pulls the star into itself. But the star only collapses so far that the helium atoms can begin to combine into carbon atoms.

This process now provides enough energy to stop the star from collapsing and actually pushes the outermost layers of the star out, making the star much larger than it origianlly started. The star is now a Red Giant.