Ehmer gone | Vital Football

Ehmer gone

A big loss. Evans has got a huge job to knit a brand new team together. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

Pity but I wish him well.

There will be a hell of a lot of released players in the close season, including from the Championship. Identikit is an experienced leader to go alongside young Jack and Conor. Someone at the stage of his career that Gab Zakuani was when we signed him.

Pity but I wish him well.

There will be a hell of a lot of released players in the close season, including from the Championship. Identikit is an experienced leader to go alongside young Jack and Conor. Someone at the stage of his career that Gab Zakuani was when we signed him.
Personally I don't think we will be able to keep Jack and Connor one will have to be sold to survive. I would not be at all surprised to see Alfie Jones return but this time as a centre back.There is no way he will play in midfield at a higher level .So they will need to send him out again if Evans agrees to playing him at the back I think he will get him. The skipper that we definitely need could be a midfielder. If we are going to have a very young side leadership on the pitch is massively important.

Just been reading Gaschat and apparently, they are going to ‘piss the league - Champions by Xmas’
Pride before the fall ?

Disappointed for Ehmer to go to a team who finished below us, but it sounds like Bristol Rovers now have a sugar daddy, so now debt-free and can realise their gates which are double ours. I don’t blame Gills/Scally in these times, but we do need to start offering contracts (EFL largely to blame?).

More importantly with Fuller surplus to requirements and offers coming in for Ogilvie and Tucker it means we have a chance of losing our whole backline which did so well last year. We’re a small, selling club, I know. Players come and go...

... Evans has done well so far with good-to-bad ratio of signings, and I reckon we’ll smash it with our Prem loanees again, but you can only play so many of them in a team. We’ll have a lower budget for the remaining 5-10 players.

I understand the “he’s replaceable/one door closes, another opens” but my main concern is the more replacements you need, the more home runs you need in the transfer market. Also if you’ll likely get off to a slower start and need to rely on a run of form later on in the campaign

Ehmer to me is slightly more of a loss than normal (still replaceable obviously) because as well as a high-performing/consistent centre back he’s also our captain and was a heavy influence on Tucker. It means looking for a new backline leader. One of the former Posh players?

Last edited:
So i understand this correctly:

Gillingham wanted him to stay but would not offer a contract until a new start date was given by the EFL.

So in short:

Gillingham did not want to pay him a wage for the time between offering a contract and a training start date date? Roughly 4 weeks wages?

We lost a player for around 6-8k wages?

Gillingham wanted him to stay but would not offer a contract until a new start date was given by the EFL.

So in short:

Gillingham did not want to pay him a wage for the time between offering a contract and a training start date date? Roughly 4 weeks wages?

I doubt our contract withholding had anything to do with it. Bristol Rovers have some financial clout and I’m guessing he’s on more than we would offer anyway. I wonder if we’ve got to offer lower contracts now anyway.

I make Scally right not to offer players contracts before a start date or an agreement of such is reached. If the pandemic worsens in the the autumn the football season will again be halted and the club will lose money and more then likely go bust. Frustrating yes but not the time to have a dig at the chairman in this very difficult time. All the best to Max a good servant to the club

I make Scally right not to offer players contracts before a start date or an agreement of such is reached. If the pandemic worsens in the the autumn the football season will again be halted and the club will lose money and more then likely go bust. Frustrating yes but not the time to have a dig at the chairman in this very difficult time. All the best to Max a good servant to the club
I agree 93
There will be literally hundreds and hundreds of footballers looking for a club and SE’s phone will be ringing off the hook.
As much as I would miss Max, there will be good alternatives available.
The club cannot take on the wages without knowing what the EFL is doing.

Best of luck Max 👍

But it’d be nice if you could maybe have a little twinge in the knee that you have to rest up the week you play us. Good lad.

Indeed. Youll see this become a common theme now with the impacts of lockdown hitting hard on clubs. the poorer clubs will continue to lose out to richer clubs who can afford to pick 'the best' and pay them accordingly.

There will be one or two clubs who gamble and try to keep up with the Jones's and spend beyond their means, then people will feel sorry for them when they go bust.

Id rather we cut our cloth according to our financial position. Id love to be able to afford the best, but if we cant we will just have to make do and make the most of what we have.

I expect theres enough other clubs in the same position as us so that gives me some comfort (in the nicest possible way)

Last edited:

So in short:

It's hard to pay wages when there are no crowds at matches to fund them. At this point no one knows for sure when that will happen.

The club is right to be cautious.