EFL Trophy Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

EFL Trophy Thread

Good to see Sanson got 45 minutes after his injury. Really do hope he can get up to speed and show us what he's really about.

Couldn't see any of the game as my stream wouldn't work. Looks like a great result.
A bit of sobering thought is that Wycombe made 10 changes from their league side and had 5 kids of their own starting. So good as it obviously was we've beaten Wycombe reserves with our u21 players.

Looking at it it seems they fielded an even mixture of 1st reamers, youth players, and new signings.

Either way it's a good result for our kids to beat a bunch of men. I can't remember the last time we've won one of these games. In fact I don't think we ever have.

Couldn't see any of the game as my stream wouldn't work. Looks like a great result.
A bit of sobering thought is that Wycombe made 10 changes from their league side and had 5 kids of their own starting. So good as it obviously was we've beaten Wycombe reserves with our u21 players.

7 Players

7.1 In all rounds of the Competition a player shall be a “registered player” of his Club.

7.2 For the EFL Clubs, a registered player is one who:

7.2.1 would be registered and eligible to participate in a match in the League Competition for that EFL Club commencing at the same time and on the same date as the Match in accordance with the provisions of the Regulations or would have been but for the operation of Regulation 43.9 (Squad Lists) (as amended from time to time); or

7.2.2 would be so eligible but for the fact that they are registered on a Long Term Loan at a club playing in the National League (National Division, North Division or South Division) but by the agreement of the Club, the National League club and the Player he has permission to return to play in this Competition.

7.3 Each EFL Club shall play its Full Available Strength in and during all Matches. Full Available Strength means the EFL Club must include at least four Qualifying Players in the ten outfield Players named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet.

7.4 Qualifying Player means any Player who:

7.4.1 had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);

7.4.2 subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;

7.4.3 is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;

7.4.4 has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or

7.4.5 is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy.

7.5 First Team Fixture means the League Competition, Premier League, EFL Cup or FA Challenge Cup (but shall, in the context of Rules 7.4.3 and 7.4.4 only, also include this Competition).

7.6 Any EFL Club failing to meet the requirement to play Full Available Strength will be required to pay a fine of up to £5,000.

-----

There was an absolute shit stink a good few years back when the EFL started fining clubs for playing their youngsters - I got about ten network pieces from the hypocrisy and even when they were fining, they were playing 1/2 outside of the rules tops - I think Exeter played 3 one game and Tisdale paid the fine himself.

Since that stink no club to my knowledge has tested it

Looking at it it seems they fielded an even mixture of 1st reamers, youth players, and new signings.

Either way it's a good result for our kids to beat a bunch of men. I can't remember the last time we've won one of these games. In fact I don't think we ever have.

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...ts-as-we-open-the-eflt-v-wycombe-match-stats/

:stupid:

No wins in six previous attempts - so last two seasons where we were invited in. We finished bottom of each group with zero points.

Hard to gauge this silly competition to be honest. Do the opposition players really give a toss about this cup, having to play youth teams etc? I can’t imagine they particularly care about it. Are the FA really going to fine clubs for not forcing their key players into this Micky mouse cup to play a glorified friendly against a youth team? Would be a PR disaster after so many clubs at that level are close to the brink. As someone said 10 changes since the last game suggests otherwise. Anyway at least it is more experience of “men’s” football for these kids, glad to see them doing well again.

Yes, because few teams play proper U21 sides....it's a scalp, PL sides often use it as fresheners during the break for well regular intentions who have missed out. I'd also say given only 3 or so PL sides have ever made it out of the Group stages shows how much L1/2 sides still see this as a cash and Wembley trip.

Again EFL sides have to feature 5 who started last game, 5 who will start the next game. The wriggle room is in substitute use.

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...ts-as-we-open-the-eflt-v-wycombe-match-stats/

That's hardly a weak Wycombe side when you look at the names selected and it's basically their standard Cup side looking back at fixtures.

Yes, as above the EFL are stringent on selections and fine freely when they can. PR or not, the EFL don't care - despite the fan campaigns about it a few years back.

Not saying it wasn't a good win but they made but from their website

Manager Gareth Ainsworth made 10 changes to the side that fell to defeat at Sunderland at the weekend - only Curtis Thompson retained his place at the heart of midfield, with new signing Brandon Hanlan making his debut in attack and five development team players making the step up to the first team

They'd have made the 5 from the bench, and their next match will feature 5 of the same again. It's always been the same.

Making 10 changes isn't akin to us doing a Liverpool for example - the changes will still be matchday XI groupings.

It's why from our perspective it's always been fascinating as whatever a side does to their squad, we are up against good experience even if they play 3 emerging talents and risk three unusable substitutes across 2 league games.

It's also why few batted an eye lid at us never taking a point before as this is the equivalent of the old 'reserves' set up rather than the sanitised money making EPPP Under 23 competitions.