EFL Support Tables | Vital Football

EFL Support Tables

Interesting stuff. A lot of it is geographical of course, but for us to have the 18th best away following outside the Premier League is some achievement.

Lincoln's average of 8,005 home fans is pretty much the capacity of Sincil Bank minus the SW.

The average away following of 1,194 is actually higher than the number of fans Morecambe have at a home game (1,127).

The net home fans table shows an interesting split between 'traditional' FL clubs in the top half, and clubs to have won promotion to the FL since automatic promotion began in 1987 in the bottom half.

Coventry and Notts County have boosted their home attendances significantly by giving away free tickets and selling them for £2. County have done it twice that I can remember, and Coventry got 28,000 for that Accrington match.

Very interesting article, the most comprehensive I have seen. We are doing well, even in the overall EFL classification. It is amazing that some teams can survive.

Why do so many people go to watch Milton Plastic Keynes?

berksimps - 24/3/2018 10:42

Very interesting article, the most comprehensive I have seen. We are doing well, even in the overall EFL classification. It is amazing that some teams can survive.

Indeed. How do Barnet manage to employ 43 players on their crowds? (I know the Hive gives a bit of off-road income, but come on...) Also had 4 managers this year and they never sack them, just move them to other roles.

graemetheexile - 24/3/2018 11:43

It is centrally positioned, near a motorway and is a quality ground, arguably better than anything else of that size. Goodness knows why it needed to be so big, but it does have padded seats, brilliant access, adjacent easy to get out car parking, places to eat very near the ground. The local population is over 220,000.

They also encourage away teams to bring as many supporters as they can, usual allocation is 3,000. It is regularly one of the grounds with the most away supporters in it for whatever league they are in.

Bet you wish you hadn't asked.

Certainly doing well in home and away numbers.

Shame Coventry has ended up being a Tuesday game, but what a huge game that could be by the time it comes around.

graemetheexile - 24/3/2018 11:43

Dont believe everything you read. Mk Dongs have been dishing out free tickets for years. If you talk to posh fans theyll tell you what a load of rubbish the attendance figures are when they've visited, they count all tickets sold and free whether they actually turn up or not. I know people who went this season who reckon it was at least 2000 less than published, and it's the same every time.

That makes it 24,286 so far (excluding Wembley) in 21 games = 1,156 average away attendance in League 2 this season.

That could well be 100 higher after tomorrow.

Apropos of nothing when I looked on Coventry OS I see they've sold 3000 season tickets for next year already

One for Scotty - have we ever before had an average away following in excess of 1,000 over a whole season?

Dont believe everything you read. Mk Dongs have been dishing out free tickets for years. If you talk to posh fans theyll tell you what a load of rubbish the attendance figures are when they've visited, they count all tickets sold and free whether they actually turn up or not. I know people who went this season who reckon it was at least 2000 less than published, and it's the same every time.

They did have (pretty much) a permanent marketing stand in the big shopping centre in MK, dishing out MK branded stuff and selling season tickets etc. They ramp it up over the summer in the weeks before the season starts and have loads of people wandering around dishing stuff out to anyone and everyone..

One for Scotty - have we ever before had an average away following in excess of 1,000 over a whole season?

Impossible to say, because attendance figures have only been separated into home and away in recent times. Even then, a fair number of clubs do not bother still. It certainly hasn't happened in my time (47 seasons).