EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus | Page 44 | Vital Football

EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus

I don't think we are. The 'us'referred to by Luke is Tranmere as in what they are proposing. Ultimately their solution ( which I've not read ) shafts Wimbledon. I do stand to be corrected on that though

Ah yes no you’ve said that I can read it that way as well.

my heart skipped a beat when I first read it

Why are we getting dragged back into it.

not seen the proposal or heard Liam on the radio.

How does it affect us.

i thought there proposal was to just relegate Bolton and Southend.

The EFL asked for comments on their proposals so we provided a few, one of which was a comment about the way they calculated PPG for teams with penalties.

So for example Bolton had a 12 point deduction. Lets say the season ended at the half way stage and Bolton had attained 14 points on the field. At that stage they would have 2 points in the table (14 - 12).

As per the EFL calculation Bolton would have a PPG of 4, which is illogical beacuse it means they would have got a 24 point deduction instead of a fixed 12 point deduction.

The correct way to do the calculation would be 14 * 2 = 28 - 12 = 16.

So there will now be a proposal to correct that. We never expected it would be our proposal.

Simple!

The EFL asked for comments on their proposals so we provided a few, one of which was a comment about the way they calculated PPG for teams with penalties.

So for example Bolton had a 12 point deduction. Lets say the season ended at the half way stage and Bolton had attained 14 points on the field. At that stage they would have 2 points in the table (14 - 12).

As per the EFL calculation Bolton would have a PPG of 4, which is illogical beacuse it means they would have got a 24 point deduction instead of a fixed 12 point deduction.

So there will now be a proposal to correct that. We never expected it would be our proposal.

Simple!

Cheers Clive it’s all well over my head.

I can’t wait for a decision to be made, it’s all getting a bit tedious and dragging out now.

As long my Season ticket involves me watching league one games at some point next season then I’ll be more than happy.

Of course my last post might be Tranmere and Peterborough's ultimate aim in wearing everyone down so whatever is proposed gets through

Simple!
I'm assuming that suggestion covers L2 as well i.e. Macclesfield (I'm not sure it changes much in that respect?)?

Didn't we get relegated out the league in around 1920 and in turned out Coventry had been up to no good and should have been relegated? Life is sometimes very unfair the likes of Peterborough and Tranmere need to bloody grow up and come back stronger next season.
If the season had been curtailed 3 games earlier would Tranmere be behaving like this?

I'm assuming that suggestion covers L2 as well i.e. Macclesfield (I'm not sure it changes much in that respect?)?

Luke, it would cover all the EFL leagues. It probably wouldn't matter as things stand, maybe only if Macclesfield got a further deduction. It's more about just getting things done right and not setting a precedent that might unjustly punish a team in the future.

Luke, it would cover all the EFL leagues. It probably wouldn't matter as things stand, maybe only if Macclesfield got a further deduction. It's more about just getting things done right and not setting a precedent that might unjustly punish a team in the future.
Yep, I agree. I was discussing that a couple of weeks ago about PPG having to be worked out against 'won' points rather than after deductions and that makes perfect sense.

Right, so, according to the below article, Posh, unsurprisingly, have jumped on the back of the Tranmere suggestion and put a joint proposal in.

It would mean a 25 team L1 next season, which requires a 90% vote to pass, which seems highly unlikely.

Portsmouth have already indicated they're not going to vote for that proposal and presumably stick to their 'play on' stance.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk...-be-be-discussed-clubs-ahead-efl-vote-2873890

Last edited:
I know it doesn't affect us but am I reading it right that 9 clubs in L2 go into a playoff situation meaning that the current top three are included in that so in effect you could have the current top team, Crewe playing against the team in 8th/9th (Vale or Bradford) as a one off winner takes all match probably at a neutral venue? The tweet only suggests that Coventry are automatically promoted but keeping in mind that there's 15 points between top and 9th, that seems unfair

I know it doesn't affect us but am I reading it right that 9 clubs in L2 go into a playoff situation meaning that the current top three are included in that so in effect you could have the current top team, Crewe playing against the team in 8th/9th (Vale or Bradford) as a one off winner takes all match probably at a neutral venue? The tweet only suggests that Coventry are automatically promoted but keeping in mind that there's 15 points between top and 9th, that seems unfair

And in the Championship it would be even worse with the model coming up with 12 teams in the play-offs from Leeds on 71 points to Derby on 51 points (assuming the league couldn't be completed). You simply can't apply the same statistical average actual margin for error across a whole division. The margin for error is very different for teams at the top of the league and those at the bottom.

Not forgetting in League 2 the Cheltenham Chairman has already said they cannot afford the Playoffs without paying spectators, others maybe in a similar situation with the prospect of financial losses building on losses. Based on their inactions the EFL, being polite, are not covering themselves in glory are they.

Great to have a Chairman who interacts with supporters on here, thank you.

The lack of clear leadership from the efl is frankly shocking!
The clubs should be told what is the plan, not the half arsed mess.
Our board must be at their wits end with the circus that's been going on.

The lack of clear leadership from the efl is frankly shocking!
The clubs should be told what is the plan, not the half arsed mess.
Our board must be at their wits end with the circus that's been going on.

Totally agree with your sentiments. The EFL should be making the decisions and be robust about it. If clubs don’t like whatever they come up with then they should be told ‘Tough, that is what is happening‘.
I have never heard of such a lack of leadership, it is embarrassing.