EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus | Page 38 | Vital Football

EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus

The big question is whether a second wave eventuates. We don't know the answer to that yet.

There's a suggestion being touted around Peterborough city hospital (from staff) that we're already experiencing the 2nd wave. Nothing has been officially announced ( but I can assure you it's true) but PCH have been re testing samples given by patients who passed away last year with similar symptoms and have had positives come back from samples given at the end of October which could indicate the 1st wave happened much earlier than first thought. I'm not sure how many waves we can have but the further down the process we are the nearer the return to normality. Sooner we get these antibody tests and get the full picture the better.

There's a suggestion being touted around Peterborough city hospital (from staff) that we're already experiencing the 2nd wave. Nothing has been officially announced ( but I can assure you it's true) but PCH have been re testing samples given by patients who passed away last year with similar symptoms and have had positives come back from samples given at the end of October which could indicate the 1st wave happened much earlier than first thought. I'm not sure how many waves we can have but the further down the process we are the nearer the return to normality. Sooner we get these antibody tests and get the full picture the better.

That's really interesting. I saw a report that a case in France has been retrospectively identified from late last year (Nov/Dec?) but not as early as October.

I think it's undeniable that the global economies cannot sustain lock-down for much longer. The world will have to come out of lock-down very soon, ready or not.

Covid 19 isn't going to go away even with a vaccine. We're all going to have to learn to live with it (like the flu, measles etc, etc). I think it'll come down to everyone assessing their own personal risk and acting accordingly.

I'm expecting everything to return to some kind of normality quite swiftly to be honest.

Is this the way to Barnard Castle
Please stop giving me all this hassle
Dreaming dreams of stopping for a pee
...and sweet Boris who waits for me
Showing the way to our Nirvana
I looks as though it will now be manana
Crying over my round trip up north
I really should be more down to earth!

To be sung to the Amarillo tune

Recent developments in my view, have made a September restart with crowds more likely. Far a start there is increasing focus on the cost of lockdown-a recent article by Liam Halligan in the Telegraph put the cost of the existing rescue commitments at £B 125. In addition to that you have the lost tax revenue such as income tax,VAT and corporation tax which is estimated at £B 120. Add those together then you have £B 245,which is a mind boggling figure.To put that figure in perspective the cost would cover 2 new NHS's and change left over. Now this alone is putting huge pressure on the Govt-and the potential lost tax from the TV companies and football as a whole ,on top of this,is enormous. I think you can forget about a lockdown extension,or a lockdown mark 2,the country cannot afford it, not to mention the psychological issues.

You also have the gradual petering out of the virus with the likely UK death toll to be in single figures by the end of June/early July.

Then you have the Cummings saga.Irrespective on your views of him,I think this latest development made the Govts policy of continued lockdown far less credible.

Given that it's likely Spain aren't going to play in front of crowds until January I would suggest September is optimistic

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/spa...-fans-for-matches-in-spain-until-2021-sources

Given that it's likely Spain aren't going to play in front of crowds until January I would suggest September is optimistic

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/spa...-fans-for-matches-in-spain-until-2021-sources

The problem with football is not just large groups of people gathering outdoors but, in bigger cities, large groups of people travelling on public transport to the games. Doing that every week is soon going to lead to a second outbreak if the virus is still circulating.

The problem with football is not just large groups of people gathering outdoors but, in bigger cities, large groups of people travelling on public transport to the games. Doing that every week is soon going to lead to a second outbreak if the virus is still circulating.
3rd mate, there's growing evidence of outbreak before Xmas, a lot of unexplained deaths then that are going be looked at again.

3rd mate, there's growing evidence of outbreak before Xmas, a lot of unexplained deaths then that are going be looked at again.

This looks an interesting development.

In terms of football, though, along with pubs, restaurants, theatre and gigs it looks about last on list to be re-opened.

This looks an interesting development.

In terms of football, though, along with pubs, restaurants, theatre and gigs it looks about last on list to be re-opened.
Definitely mate, people sat and stood in close proximity to each other was bound to be last.
Granted clubs with smaller crowds might open sooner like the cods 😂😂

I'm a bit sceptical about the theory it's been about before Xmas and we're on a second wave. How can a second wave be so specifically traced to a market in Wuhan? And why is this second wave seemingly much worse?

I'm a bit sceptical about the theory it's been about before Xmas and we're on a second wave. How can a second wave be so specifically traced to a market in Wuhan? And why is this second wave seemingly much worse?

I am equally sceptical...