EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus | Page 36 | Vital Football

EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus

I always thought sport was about winning and losing? Or is it all about who has the biggest bank balance and best lawyers now?
Yes it's incredibly harsh for Tranmere to be relegated but we only went down in 1987 because of the extra time played after a police dog bit a player. As for the likes of Peterborough Ipswich and Sunderland wanting the playoffs extending to include them because they have a dodgy spell bloody tough, if you're as good as you think you are you wouldn't need the bloody playoffs in the case and if they were that good all three would have beaten us at sincil bank but they didn’t.

I think the likes of Posh have invested between £8-10 million this season judging by one of their forums.
Would be a huge shame if they didn’t make the Championship! :wahey:

Interesting that the rugby league super league reckon they'll have fans back in by October.

Rugby league is a game of the North. As someone who now lives in the North I can assure you social distancing isn't being taken terribly seriously around these parts.

See also: regional infection rates.

Down here in the Anglia region, the local news are estimating that the plandemic has already cost Ipswich Town £3mil+ and that huge cutbacks to their wage bill will have to be made for next season.

I bet they wished they hadn’t handed out that 5 year extended contract to Paul Lambert now? 🙈

I would have thought the playoffs happening between just four teams will be doubtful let alone a cast of thousands, Cheltenham in Div 2 have already said they cannot afford to take part in them with no gate money but with all the overheads to pay for.

If teams in play off spots in Div 1 at moment don't want to play, will the 'big' four, say that they are willing and demand to play!.

Apologies if this has been debated earlier in the thread. The Daily Mail is saying:-

EFL QUIRK MAY DECIDE LOWER LEAGUES
Championship clubs have effectively been given a veto over whether the lower divisions can curtail their seasons due to a quirk of the EFL’s constitution.
In order to be passed, all regulation changes require the support of at least 13 Championship clubs and a 51 per cent majority from all 71 members of the EFL. So a positive vote from Leagues One and Two would not be sufficient to sanction the proposed move to points-per-game if enough second-tier clubs object.
If the proposal is passed then the individual divisions will vote again on whether to curtail, with a ballot already planned for League One.

To be honest only the NL and League 2 have shown any balls on the way forward.
Think the Port Vale owner has much admiration from me and hopefully others.

The current situation is having a mega impact and not only for this season but for seasons to come. Some club owners with there just OWN interests at heart and not seeing the bigger picture.

When the pay back happens a lot of football supporters both season ticket holders and match day attendees in all leagues will not have the money to buy tickets for seasons to come.

Championship dont get their way will we see a Premiershit league 2?.
I think that is much more likely now than it's ever been. Hence why some of the arguments about merging/regionalising L2 & NL might have resurfaced, although Clive was quick to point out how unlikely such a scenario would be.

However if there ever happens to be a choice for the Championship of either a strict circa £6 million salary cap, or aligning itself with the most watched and richest league in the world, then I wonder which way they would all vote??

Liam was on Hope and Glory around 2.30pm I think it was if anyone wants a listen. He also covers salary caps.

The EFL have released this photo of the committee dealing with current issues. There is no truth in the rumour that their decisions are built on sand nor which one is the big clubs' (like Notlob) representative.

vital07.jpg

Interesting article on the BBC sports website from the Huddersfield owner saying 50-60 efl clubs could go bust. For me It sounds a logical comment when talking about next season, saying players will have to take pay cuts or otherwise they won’t have a club to be paid wages from.

Interesting article on the BBC sports website from the Huddersfield owner saying 50-60 efl clubs could go bust. For me It sounds a logical comment when talking about next season, saying players will have to take pay cuts or otherwise they won’t have a club to be paid wages from.

He's gone down a worse case possible route but if it gets something moving to protect clubs the article can only be a good thing.
The gravy train for players and agents is certainly a thing of the past though which again might not be the worst thing in the world