EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus | Page 6 | Vital Football

EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus

The National League seem like they're strongly suggesting Clubs end the league season and then decide how to agree the outcome i.e. void or PPG.

good news i am going to enjoy a summer trip to the Mem

Unfortunately if they go ahead with this I think the games will have to be played behind closed doors - I can’t see large gatherings being allowed at all this summer (and you’re not missing much visiting the Memorial!).

Unfortunately if they go ahead with this I think the games will have to be played behind closed doors - I can’t see large gatherings being allowed at all this summer (and you’re not missing much visiting the Memorial!).
Yes, that does appear to be the suggestion. Shouldn't be too much of a problem for players to play 8/9/10 games in 56 days, especially if they have had a couple of months off. We played our last 12 games in 35 days (and 28 in 99 days) in 2016-17. Playing a backlog of fixtures at the end of a season is nothing unusual either, given our winter weather. They could probably do it in much less than 56 days if they tried.

I'd be ditching the play offs though - what's the point if people can't attend them? Just promote the next team in line.

I'd be ditching the play offs though - what's the point if people can't attend them? Just promote the next team in line.
I'm in agreement with this, but cant see it happening. At the very least any play off semi finals must be one leg only.

On a different point, if National League abandon their season (as they seem likely to do), I assume Barrow would be promoted to make a 92 club EFL? But with no NL play-offs do Stevenage get a reprieve, assuming they finish bottom?

I still think it's odd that individual leagues are being asked to decide what might be the opposite of what other leagues do. Surely to prevent any legal challenges it has to be one decision for all from the Premier League down to the lowest village league

I would stand on a milk crate to watch football at the moment!

Yes, that does appear to be the suggestion. Shouldn't be too much of a problem for players to play 8/9/10 games in 56 days, especially if they have had a couple of months off. We played our last 12 games in 35 days (and 28 in 99 days) in 2016-17. Playing a backlog of fixtures at the end of a season is nothing unusual either, given our winter weather. They could probably do it in much less than 56 days if they tried.
The 8/9/10 games will be less than 56. The 56 days also includes the two leg PO's and finals.

The normal season will probably be done in 40 or so.

Behind closed doors is un-workable under the current restrictions. You will have numerous congregations in and around where the match is being played and if televised although not available in pubs etc...many will go round to their mates house to watch. Until we get something to combat this we'll be in this position every time it crops up so despite everyone wanting to get the footie back on, unfortunately it can't happen for a very long time

But with no NL play-offs do Stevenage get a reprieve, assuming they finish bottom?

I hope so. Not because I have any affinity towards Stevenage, but because weren't they once denied promotion to the League on a ground technicality?

It would be a kind of natural justice.

Behind closed doors is un-workable under the current restrictions. You will have numerous congregations in and around where the match is being played and if televised although not available in pubs etc...many will go round to their mates house to watch. Until we get something to combat this we'll be in this position every time it crops up so despite everyone wanting to get the footie back on, unfortunately it can't happen for a very long time
What about playing the games at a secret location? After all if there is no crowd , it doesn't really matter where you play it

It's a good job Bolton aren't relying on the kids anymore!

What about playing the games at a secret location? After all if there is no crowd , it doesn't really matter where you play it

I suppose we could just mix and match it all. Have us playing at home to Rochdale in an empty Old Trafford whilst Liverpool and Man City play their remaining match at Blyth Spartans. In fact what a great way that would be for the Premier League to support the lower clubs by them paying to play at Non-league grounds. TV Revenue goes to the hosting club. Would also see how those fancy dans in the Premier cope with a dodgy pitch and cold water in the dressing rooms

What happens if the games are played behind closed doors and a player or a official contracts the virus does it then mean both teams then cant play for 14 days

Wishful/Fanciful/Desperate/Deluded thinking by the football authorities at the moment. I fully understand their need and appreciate the work they are doing to overcome the hurdles but there are just too many in the way for the foreseeable future.

I hope so. Not because I have any affinity towards Stevenage, but because weren't they once denied promotion to the League on a ground technicality?

It would be a kind of natural justice.
As it would also be for Barrow should they be invited/promoted into the EFL, having controversially lost out in an election vote to Hereford previously.

As it would also be for Barrow should they be invited/promoted into the EFL, having controversially lost out in an election vote to Hereford previously.

And that’s exactly the problem with trying to decide what is ‘right’ or who is most ‘deserving’ when artificially trying to complete the league. I can’t really see past voiding the season.