EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus | Page 34 | Vital Football

EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus

PPG is the only viable option for me. It’s going to put to much strain on clubs financially at a time when they need to stay afloat to play the remainder of this season.

I don't like ppg, i think each of the remaining fixtures should have the traditional 2 or 3 points available but, as has been said, no solution is really ideal.

Has to be PPG weighted in home/away form over the season for me.

Average Points per home game multiplied by number of home games left and same with the away.

This for me is the fairest as we know with our own points haul over the season we have been very good at home but poor away so think this should come into consideration.

I never thought I’d say this but I sympathise with the position the EFL are in. No solution, even waiting to play out the season, is satisfactory because we are artificially trying to complete a season. They simply have to come up with an option that protects the clubs as best as possible. The fact they’ve got arseholes like MacAnthony chucking their toys out the pram and threatening legal action because they don’t get the outcome that specifically suits their clubs just highlights how difficult coming to some kind of conclusion is.

For me weighted points per game seems the least bad option, but my fear is that finding a resolution to this season isn’t the iceberg on the horizon - the real problem is when we expect to see crowds back at football matches. Given we’ve got an imminent second wave of infections and further lockdowns to come, you begin to think that there will be no crowds until 21/22. By which time football below the Premier League could be nigh on dead.

My feeling is that clubs will vote the following way:

Coventry, Rotherham, Bolton, Southend, Accrington, Shrewsbury, Burton, Blackpool, Bristol Rovers, Rochdale, AFCW and Lincoln will probably go PPG.

Oxford, Sunderland, Posh, Fleetwood, Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Tranmere to play on.

MK have said they'll just go with a majority, Doncaster have been quiet but have games in hand, Evans seemed to indicate his stance was to play on but whether that's Gillingham's we'll see and then there's Wycombe. It will be interesting to see what they do because they can guarantee themselves a PO place with a vote for PPG. I'm not sure what their run-in was like but given the size and/or strength of the teams around them, you wonder whether they'll vote that way instead of going for autos and missing out altogether.

That's 12 PPG, 8 to play on and 3 you couldn't really guess due to games in hand (or Evans living in fantasy land about Gills PO push still being on).

My feeling is that clubs will vote the following way:

Coventry, Rotherham, Bolton, Southend, Accrington, Shrewsbury, Burton, Blackpool, Bristol Rovers, Rochdale, AFCW and Lincoln will probably go PPG.

Oxford, Sunderland, Posh, Fleetwood, Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Tranmere to play on.

MK have said they'll just go with a majority, Doncaster have been quiet but have games in hand, Evans seemed to indicate his stance was to play on but whether that's Gillingham's we'll see and then there's Wycombe. It will be interesting to see what they do because they can guarantee themselves a PO place with a vote for PPG. I'm not sure what their run-in was like but given the size and/or strength of the teams around them, you wonder whether they'll vote that way instead of going for autos and missing out altogether.

That's 12 PPG, 8 to play on and 3 you couldn't really guess due to games in hand (or Evans living in fantasy land about Gills PO push still being on).

If you are correct with your assumptions and i would probably make the same assumptions then 12 is over the 51% threshold so cancelling must now be a big odds on favourite.

I never thought I’d say this but I sympathise with the position the EFL are in. No solution, even waiting to play out the season, is satisfactory because we are artificially trying to complete a season. They simply have to come up with an option that protects the clubs as best as possible. The fact they’ve got arseholes like MacAnthony chucking their toys out the pram and threatening legal action because they don’t get the outcome that specifically suits their clubs just highlights how difficult coming to some kind of conclusion is.

For me weighted points per game seems the least bad option, but my fear is that finding a resolution to this season isn’t the iceberg on the horizon - the real problem is when we expect to see crowds back at football matches. Given we’ve got an imminent second wave of infections and further lockdowns to come, you begin to think that there will be no crowds until 21/22. By which time football below the Premier League could be nigh on dead.

Oxford Uni are going online until 2021/2 - i.e. no live lectures (smaller sessions may happen) for 18 months. More will probably follow suit. Who wants to study in person in the disease-ridden petri-dish that is a university right now (see also: football grounds)? :lol:

If you are correct with your assumptions and i would probably make the same assumptions then 12 is over the 51% threshold so cancelling must now be a big odds on favourite.
And in such a scenario wouldn't Peterborough would finish 7th (from memory) and so outside of any play-offs, which are not to be extended beyond 4 teams?

There's going to be an awful lot of 'schadenfreude' should curtailing the season now get the necessary 12 votes!!!! Come on League 1.... stand up and be brave...... you know it makes sense!!!

Is there significant prize money dependent upon league position at seasons end? I know it is substantial in the Premier but anyone know how much it is in L1 as that could be affecting some decisions

And in such a scenario wouldn't Peterborough would finish 7th (from memory) and so outside of any play-offs, which are not to be extended beyond 4 teams?
I seem to remember macanthony stating at the start of the season that he would give up on Peterborough if they didn’t make the playoffs this year.

Is there significant prize money dependent upon league position at seasons end? I know it is substantial in the Premier but anyone know how much it is in L1 as that could be affecting some decisions
No that's only the prem, we just get a dollop of cash once a season at the start.

Read here in the local rag that the 'Not So Posh' Peterborough, co owner Stewart 'Randy' ( I kid you not) Thompson, says extending league 1 playoffs to include 8 or 10 teams is gaining popularity!?. Obvously trying to get Doncaster to vote in favour, as they would be included.

So Peterborough, Ipswich and Sunderland miss out, hilarious!
We beat all 3 as well, which probably explains why they aren't going up, they couldn't win beat teams like us when away from home.

Read here in the local rag that the 'Not So Posh' Peterborough, co owner Stewart 'Randy' ( I kid you not) Thompson, says extending league 1 playoffs to include 8 or 10 teams is gaining popularity!?. Obvously trying to get Doncaster to vote in favour, as they would be included.

The EFL announcement puts that firmly to bed. Local news is often a few days behind

Oxford Uni are going online until 2021/2 - i.e. no live lectures (smaller sessions may happen) for 18 months. More will probably follow suit. Who wants to study in person in the disease-ridden petri-dish that is a university right now (see also: football grounds)? :lol:

Online lectures? Going purely on my own experience, I didn't think it was possible to be any lazier when you’re a student!