EFL proposing 8 academy players into league one teams 20 man squad? Is this right? | Vital Football

EFL proposing 8 academy players into league one teams 20 man squad? Is this right?

Cookiejar

Vital Reserves Team
Have I read this right among the new proposals from the EFL alongside the 2.5m salary cap is having a maximum of 20 in each squad over the age of 21. I have no problem with this whatsoever in fact for All this season I think our whole squad has been before this.

However it is suggesting in that 20 that 8 are home grown, from The clubs academy? So does this mean only 12 plus tucker woods and Walsh and that’s it for each time in League one?. Unless of course you just keep players from the academy to make up the numbers. I am all for wage caps but 8 academy players in that 20 seems a bit excessive to me.

Have I read this right among the new proposals from the EFL alongside the 2.5m salary cap is having a maximum of 20 in each squad over the age of 21. I have no problem with this whatsoever in fact for All this season I think our whole squad has been before this.

However it is suggesting in that 20 that 8 are home grown, from The clubs academy? So does this mean only 12 plus tucker woods and Walsh and that’s it for each time in League one?. Unless of course you just keep players from the academy to make up the numbers. I am all for wage caps but 8 academy players in that 20 seems a bit excessive to me.
Without some sort of regulation academies are gone.The problem will be finding a balance. I think you also have to consider the club finances. Having a say 16 man first team squad with local players getting a real chance.Given the way that young people are going to have real problems in the next ten years perhaps something like this is needed.However I do agree that financially I am not sure it is workable because while clubs would save on wages they would also significantly lower the quality.It would also mean massive job losses among established league players.

I think it is the best way to go, if you want to stop promotion from The lower leagues into the Championship and Premiership, I can think of no better way to achieve it.

Probably true nitram
They really don’t want little provincial clubs like Burton or Gillingham mucking things up.
Sunderland?
Pompey?
Ipswich?
They are ok

The problem for Gillingham is that we don't keep average league players a young player is sold or released it seems there are very few inbetween.At other clubs I would think there are a lot more.