EFL League 1 Team of the year | Vital Football

EFL League 1 Team of the year

Made in Wigan

Vital Champions League
Congratulations to Nathan Byrne, Dan Burn, Sam Morsy and Nick Powell for making the league 1 team of the year.

Four players from ourselves, three from Blackburn (though I'd question Raya as goalkeeper), two from the Shrews and a representative from Peterborough and Plymouth.

Hurst it would appear has been nominated as manager, perhaps understandable given their unexpected success.

Made in Wigan - 3/4/2018 18:33

Congratulations to Nathan Byrne, Dan Burn, Sam Morsy and Nick Powell for making the league 1 team of the year.

Four players from ourselves, three from Blackburn (though I'd question Raya as goalkeeper), two from the Shrews and a representative from Peterborough and Plymouth.

Hurst it would appear has been nominated as manager, perhaps understandable given their unexpected success.

I dont think loan players qualify (Walton & Henderson)

Yeah apparently not. Seems an odd rule - it's the league team of the year, so if you play in the league I fail to see why you wouldn't be eligible.

Only one of those (Powell) is anywhere good enough to be a regular in the championship should we be playing there next season.
Dan Burn (too many mistakes) Sam Morsy (plays sideways too much) Nathan Byrne (fades in and out of games too often)

jeffs right - 3/4/2018 20:08

Only one of those (Powell) is anywhere good enough to be a regular in the championship should we be playing there next season.
Dan Burn (too many mistakes) Sam Morsy (plays sideways too much) Nathan Byrne (fades in and out of games too often)

Well lets hope we miss out on promotion cos based on our current revenue we ain't going to be improving the squad.

I don't think there's much for us to worry about in the Championship.
Of course there's half a dozen or so clubs with ridiculous budgets compared to ours but with stability we'll be ok.
Look at the clubs who've been promoted from Division 1 in the last few seasons most have done well {apart from ourselves}.
If we can keep hold of Cook and don't panic if we have a poor start then we can build season to season.

If we dont go up and bearing in mind the backing Cook has had from the board there will be serious questions asked about him keeping his job at the end of this season. Thats football. Its harsh but its a results lead industry.
He has been paid a fortune, has the best players in the league to play for him, has excellent training facilities, has been backed to the hilt by Sharpey and has been allowed to bring his own team to our club. Not to go up just isnt an option.

Jesus wept. Four players in the league team of the prompts a slagging off. Save that for the day you've actually got something to be negative about. Oh but of course we lost a couple of days ago so we are crap. I forgot about that.

What a load of bollocks...on another thread you claim Massey is a scapegoat now this trio aren't good enough. Don't embarrass yourself any more as you obviously haven't a clue.

Burn wasn't exactly out of his depth in the Championship last season was he? And Morsy was wanted permanently by Barnsley and highly rated by their fans, again in the Championship. Byrne is still to prove himself at that level, but to write him off does him a disservice. Presumably you feel the other 7 players in the League 1 team of the year aren't up to it either, or is it just our players?

You soon get wound up you men! We have to face up to a monumental task which would be the Championship.
I didn't say our lads shouldn't be in that side. We have the best squad in the league and they deserve to be but can you imagine in the Championship, it's a huge leap.

I have to say Jeff you are far from right and being somewhat harsh.

We have a nucleus of players who could provide the backbone of a team to make a fist of it in the Championship and by that I mean keep us up. Absolutely we'd need to strengthen and get better quality in certain areas otherwise it could be a struggle yet again.

I'd like to keep Cook as feel he's fostered a good team spirit, has got the team fitter (especially compared to last season) and in general is positive in how the team plays. Of course he is having aberrations in terms of certain selections and some of that tippy tally shit across the back seems to have crept in recently but overall he's doing a good job and I'm confident he wouldn't have us in a relegation battle next season.

The big unknown at present is the whether the takeover will go ahead and if so what cash will they bring to the table. If it doesn't then I expect those in the last year of their contracts such as Burn and Powell will be sold out of necessity. If it does then the trend is that new owners change managers rather quickly (or as last year Cook may jump ship if they come in and he's unlikely to be short of offers). As such it's probably best we continue to get to games and enjoy a promotion push this season. We can then start to concern ourselves about the permutations once we've gone up and sobered up.

A friend in the know has told me the takeover is still on and I do mean in the know

Our record against the better teams in the division suggests we have a lot to worry about should we go up.

C_Latic - 4/4/2018 12:50

Our record against the better teams in the division suggests we have a lot to worry about should we go up.

Our record against Bournemouth, West Ham (even Southampton) and Man City suggest that we have feck all to worry about should we go up.

But our record against Premier League teams suggest we dont.

The record of teams promoted over the last 5 seasons puts pais to the myth of the supposed gap between Championship and League One. It's not really that big at all.

Good management set up and stay organised and work hard and you can have great success.

Most of the top half were in a relegation battle last season or the season before.

Weakest Championship for many a year this season.

hindleymonwafc - 4/4/2018 07:37

What a load of bollocks...on another thread you claim Massey is a scapegoat now this trio aren't good enough. Don't embarrass yourself any more as you obviously haven't a clue.

If you can’t see the worth of Sammy Morsy to our team Jeff, I’m mightily surprised. He’s a rock in front of the defence and in my view has been our best player this season. Never out of position, rarely if ever gives the ball away and 100% concentration for the 90 minutes of every game. He will grace the Championship if we are there next season.

moonay - 4/4/2018 12:55

C_Latic - 4/4/2018 12:50

Our record against Bournemouth, West Ham (even Southampton) and Man City suggest that we have feck all to worry about should we go up.
Southampton are utter garbage but still beat us 2-0 at home. Don’t pull the two league gap card because we’ll be playing them next season. Easy to get up for one off cup games against Prem reserve teams, league games will be different. Take this team into the Championship and we’ll be in trouble. Get rid of the league one superstars (Jacobs, Power etc) and upgrade them, then we’ll have a chance. Oh and most importantly, give our best players new contracts for a change rather than selling them.

C_Latic - 4/4/2018 13:40. ................. Oh and most importantly, give our best players new contracts for a change rather than selling them.

So who have we sold recently who we should have retained ?

Aside from Morsy when we went up last time (and even that failed), I can't for a second think who you're talking about. Jason Pearce ?

You really do search hard to find the negative in things, don't you.