EFL introducing Salary Cap | Vital Football

EFL introducing Salary Cap

As things stand, a 20m wage bill would be a stretch for 16 of the 24 Clubs in the Championship.

It could well be that common sense is now prevailing and a good few of the Owners fully understand that P & S is not going away; I will believe that when I see it happen.

The wage gap between PL and EFL would get bigger and there would be consequences for the teams relegated from the PL - how will the parachute payment system work under a wage cap?

This will start alarm bells ringing in the PL.

If the EFL dig their heels in and insist the wage cap is adhered to by relegated Clubs, it will start a deflationary wage cycle amongst half of the Clubs in the PL; that will inevitably impact on the richer Clubs in the long term and possibly make the PL less attractive for some of the big foreign players in the future.

Alternatively, the PL could just shut up shop and stop relegation and promotion.

If this is pursued with, I can see a PL2 being the obvious outcome; that may well be the ulterior motive for some of the Clubs pushing for the wage cap.

Interesting points.

The other problem would be the ways to get around it. No doubt Derby would be the first with the creative accounting; paying the likes of Rooney £20k a week plus £80k in image rights or "consultancy fees" or whatever. How do you stop that?

In terms of PL2 that is possible. Already you have the likes of the Sun arguing for L1 and L2 to be regionalised

As things stand, a 20m wage bill would be a stretch for 16 of the 24 Clubs in the Championship.

It could well be that common sense is now prevailing and a good few of the Owners fully understand that P & S is not going away; I will believe that when I see it happen.

The wage gap between PL and EFL would get bigger and there would be consequences for the teams relegated from the PL - how will the parachute payment system work under a wage cap?

This will start alarm bells ringing in the PL.

If the EFL dig their heels in and insist the wage cap is adhered to by relegated Clubs, it will start a deflationary wage cycle amongst half of the Clubs in the PL; that will inevitably impact on the richer Clubs in the long term and possibly make the PL less attractive for some of the big foreign players in the future.

Alternatively, the PL could just shut up shop and stop relegation and promotion.

If this is pursued with, I can see a PL2 being the obvious outcome; that may well be the ulterior motive for some of the Clubs pushing for the wage cap.

Yeah. I agree. The PL should just stop relegation and promotion. It's absolutely unacceptable that 'big' clubs like West Ham, Villa and Newcastle should regularly find themselves with relegation worries. This is absolutely unhealthy for the sport.

I think that even the notion that clubs like West Ham (in the capital city, no less!) with the stadium they have should be in threat of relegation brings the game in to disrepute and completely goes against the grain of sporting ideals.

This has been floating around for at least a year, I'd not be adverse to it but I'm somewhat sceptical.

There has also been talk of a 6k wage cap until football resumes.

Yeah. I agree. The PL should just stop relegation and promotion. It's absolutely unacceptable that 'big' clubs like West Ham, Villa and Newcastle should regularly find themselves with relegation worries. This is absolutely unhealthy for the sport.

I think that even the notion that clubs like West Ham (in the capital city, no less!) with the stadium they have should be in threat of relegation brings the game in to disrepute and completely goes against the grain of sporting ideals.

Since when as what is healthy for the Sport been a consideration for most PL Clubs?

You can be sure of one thing; whatever happens in the EFL it will not be at the detriment of the PL; they will not allow it to happen.

Interesting points.

The other problem would be the ways to get around it. No doubt Derby would be the first with the creative accounting; paying the likes of Rooney £20k a week plus £80k in image rights or "consultancy fees" or whatever. How do you stop that?

In terms of PL2 that is possible. Already you have the likes of the Sun arguing for L1 and L2 to be regionalised

Wouldn't be the first time we have had a division 3 North and South.

Wouldn't be the first time we have had a division 3 North and South.
No, but it is degrading to the professionalism of a division we were recently stuck in, and which I still feel we will see again before we ever see the top flight

Why don't I like it?

Because that would mean four relegation places from the Championship but only two back.

It would mean a team having an unlucky time like forest, or Sunderland, or Sheffield United playing the likes of Morecambe, Macclesfield or Mansfield as equals.

Literally, one step down from the second flight and you are playing basement teams; and with a chance of going into the conference.

No thanks

Please remind me what Bolton are up to these days. I almost forgot about them.
They were relegated four years later and Gartside was asked whether he still thought the Premier League should be a closed shop.