Eavvveesss next moves | Page 2 | Vital Football

Eavvveesss next moves

With all due respect, if I was an Everton or Newcastle fan, I would not be enthused by such a signing. Don't think it would signal ambition to Rafa either.

Dack is another matter.

Either a top League One side or a lower Championship side is about Eaves' maximum level at this stage, methinks.

He can still blow hot and cold even at this level. He was largely anonymous in the Blackpool and Hartlepool home games

Eaves likes being at the Gills. After scoring his goal at Scunny Big Tom grabbed/embraced the Gills badge on his shirt - not for the first time, either. Too many players "thumb-point" their name on the back of the shirt for my liking. Give me a badge grabber any time. Eaves wants to stay and GFC should make him a good and rewarding offer - ASAP please.

Yes another eaaaves thread lol.

1. Should he keep taking the penalties
2. sL said he wanted a striker at Xmas - does that imply that Eaves is definitely off in one of the next two windows
3. Anyone think he will stay and sign a new deal

1. Probably not as he's missed a few now; however, not sure who the alternative would be. Byrne has taken (and missed penalties), so not him - O'Neill takes free kicks, but seem to recall him missing penalties or at least one previously (I may be mistaken); Oldaker as a free kick taker is probably next in line. Max is technically good on the deck, has scored quite a few well taken goals and has a cool head - maybe he could be an outsider as a pen taker?

2. I'd say we're looking for a striker regardless of what happens with Eaves. can't see Wilko or Nash playing much of a part; List can play up top, but is generally better on the wing, which just leaves Tom and Parker. Parker on his day can be very good, but blows in the wind a bit.

3. My gut instinct is that Eaves has found the right club, manager and level for him to perform at the best of his ability and things are clicking for him at GFC under SL at the moment. I think he (and certainly GFC) would be best served by him staying. His style isn't going to suit everyone and he hasn't got Dack or Jarvis type talent,/skill/pace to mean he'll fit in anywhere. I could see him going up to a Champ team and really struggling. I think if we offered him a vastly improved contract (and he deserves it) maybe he'll go for it. Not sure how we'd afford that - maybe some of the kickback from a possible Dack transfer? If we get through in the cup, that is another unexpected income source too.

All that sounded like a decent article until it said "valued at just 100k".

They're 'avin a larf...

With Eaves being out of curiosity nitrates at the end of the season then his value may well be around that Mark. We only accepted about £78k I think when Shinfield United bought Aqaba in similar circumstances. No one will be prepared to pay his true value.

If he doesn't sign a new contract, are his goals to help keep us up worth more to us than any fee we might get in January? I'm not so sure the fee we might get is worth it.

Realistically what could we get for him, £200-400k? I would imagine someone like a Millwall or an Ipswich would be prepared to gamble an amount like that.

I reckon Millwall will come in for him.. they were half linked with him in the summer. Harris loves a target man. Morisson is nearing the end of his career and Tom Elliott isn't Championship standard. Plus they'll be keen for reinforcements in a bid to stay up. A swap deal plus cash I wonder?

I reckon Millwall will come in for him.. they were half linked with him in the summer. Harris loves a target man. Morisson is nearing the end of his career and Tom Elliott isn't Championship standard. Plus they'll be keen for reinforcements in a bid to stay up. A swap deal plus cash I wonder?

The ‘half link’ in the summer was just a two bob fanzine writer speculating he would be a good signing.
He would though be a very typical Millwall signing and fit in with their style of play.

Eaves is having a good season and is a good L1 striker but I really don't think he would be Rangers or Championship or even PL (Everton/Newcastle) standard.

I reckon his agent is doing some clever marketing!

I think if we offered him a vastly improved contract (and he deserves it) maybe he'll go for it. Not sure how we'd afford that - maybe some of the kickback from a possible Dack transfer?

If Scally was to take a 20% pay cut we could afford to offer Eaves almost an extra grand a week....

Eaves is having a good season and is a good L1 striker but I really don't think he would be Rangers or Championship or even PL (Everton/Newcastle) standard.

I reckon his agent is doing some clever marketing!

Easily good enough for Rangers and the SPL.

agree Nibbles !
Celtic aside, the Scottish Prem is just a notch above League one.

Crowd and stadia-wise too, overall stadiums are bigger and better and crowds larger in League One than in the SPL. Take away the anomalies of Celtic, Rangers and Sunderland, and you have about three teams in Scotland who average around 15-17000 (that of a good League One team - i.e. Charlton, Pompey, Bradford etc). and the rest average crowds between Accrington and us, give or take a few. Not much of a draw really other than a handful of Old Firm games.

I agree with much of the comment about the SPL but with a couple of caveats. First there is the profile, which is bigger just because it is the top national league and Gerrard and Rodgers are up there. Second there is the very real chance of European football and an outside chance of silverware.

In my heart of hearts I believe we are the greatest but I think most outside our world would consider Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs as a step up.