Eating Insects! | Vital Football

Eating Insects!

G

I actually thought this a while ago but if someone wants to make big money, then open up a stall selling cooked insects.

Deep fried crickets with a chilli dip anyone?

All you need is a deep fat fryer some chilli, some crickets a market stall and dress yourself as an insect. Everyone walking past will try curiosity killed the cat and all that. Advertising? The local paper is bound to want a picture!

We see some insects served in the food industry already in the UK, however its in expensive restaurants.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/05/13/united-nations-insects-food/2155297/

I find it bloody stupid. What nutritional value do they have? I suppose it's ok if you're on a diet, but they certainly wouldn't quell my hunger.

You can just imagine it.... instead of, I'm so hungry I could eat a horse, to, I'm so hungry I could eat 10,000 insects!....Lol. No, I wouldn't entertain the idea.

Funny you should ask that about nutritional quality Pride.

I remember watching a TV show a while back and they were saying that a lot of the protein foods we currently eat could well run out in the future. The oceans will be over fished, so no fish, can't really remember what they said about cows and chickens, but the theory was that with our normal protein sources dried up the human race would have to turn to insects for their protein.

So in answer to your question... I guess they are packed with protein.

Bear Grylls swears by them for survival.

I've seen fellas flogging them from carts and stalls in bangkok and doing a roaring trade.

You might be onto something GT. By the arcadian centre would be a good spot: the chinkies would be your customers during the day and the pissed up ninjas with a nights worth of dutch courage would be your night time punters.

Mr Egg will be out of business in 12 months!

I'm one of these guys who will pretty much try anything once, so when in Vegas I bought myself a Scorpian lollipop, but even I couldn't bring myself to actually eat it.

It's probably nice, and obviously harmless, but the thought of eating an insect really turns my stomach. Snails were bad enough.

I would try them - once probably. Thats where your problem would be from a business point of view. Maybe a number of people would would try them once, but can you see people really eating crickets on a regular basis?

And that is why I am not going to invest... I'm out!

Ratman - 14/5/2013 09:54

Great quote, you should make a tv programme around investment advice for business ideas mate, it would go down a storm!

Green Tea - 13/5/2013 23:03

I actually thought this a while ago but if someone wants to make big money, then open up a stall selling cooked insects.

Deep fried crickets with a chilli dip anyone?

All you need is a deep fat fryer some chilli, some crickets a market stall and dress yourself as an insect. Everyone walking past will try curiosity killed the cat and all that. Advertising? The local paper is bound to want a picture!

We see some insects served in the food industry already in the UK, however its in expensive restaurants.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/05/13/united-nations-insects-food/2155297/

That's really odd but I was thinking the exact same thing last night!
:10: :10:

The Fear - 14/5/2013 09:56

Great quote, you should make a tv programme around investment advice for business ideas mate, it would go down a storm!

I would invest in that... I'm in!! But I`d want 70% of the business

I would try them - once probably. Thats where your problem would be from a business point of view. Maybe a number of people would would try them once, but can you see people really eating crickets on a regular basis?

Once would be enough to make your million, then you can get out of dodge? lol

Anyway, this will be future because animals will not be sustainable for the amount of people that are raping the planet.

The older generation would just try once and then leave it at that. However make them fashionable/tasty etc and they could be huge hit with college/university students at lunchtimes for a quick, easy, cheap tasty lunch/snack.

The Fear - 14/5/2013 09:54

Deano beat me to it, loads of protein!

Now here's a idea. this will make more money than a novelty cricket and sweet chilli snack. I have just this second been looking at buying some protein supplements - they cost an absolute fortune! You could make protein shakes out of insects. They will be far cheaper to produce. Sell cheap and make a killing.

Only thing is it would probably turn into another horse meat type of scandall - "Insect DNA found in body building supplements"

Yeah I remember seeing an American health and safety sheet where it actually said what the acceptable levels of insects were in each food.

it was quite detailed from what I remember. Like Fish Fingers are allowed to contain 4 spiders legs, or something like that.

Grim.

A lot of food colourant is made from crushed beetles like in your Smarties. It's all in the mind, if you grew up on the banks of the Amazon you wouldn't think twice about tucking into a Tarantula or in Aus where they eat Roo's or in France where they eat anything that moves!