Earned And Earnt | Vital Football

Earned And Earnt

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
No doubt of little to no interest to most of you.

However, I got told once that earnt wasn't a real word. Even the spell checkers will flag it up.

Obviously earned has become more accepted however, because I'm bored:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090209045049AAbZh4Z

"earnt" : (UK) An archaic but entirely acceptable alternative form of the simple past and past participle "earned". Still considered to be incorrect by many, who are largely unaware of the historical development of the English language. Other verbs which can be declined in this way are: learn (learnt), dream (dreamt), spell (spelt). Suggestions that the word is somehow "incorrect" are themselves incorrect.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/earnt

"earn" : simple past and past participle "earned"; "earnt" is incorrect

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/earn#Engli…

two tendencies are discernible :

(1) the form in '-ed' is more often preferred in American English, and

(2) in British English there is a stronger preference for the '-t' form when it is used as a participial adjective, as in 'The cakes are burnt' as distinct from 'We burned the cakes' [...] " 'earnt' is not standard, but is increasingly found"

"-t", _Pocket Fowler's Modern English Usage_. Ed. Robert Allen. Oxford University Press, 1999. Oxford Reference Online. Oxford University Press. Oxford University. 29 May 2006

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Talk:earnt

:14:

:17:

I do like how language evolves and different words/usages to be fair.

BBJ came out with a blinder not long back, I can't recall it now but it was a great word!

Apparently,if i remember correctly,the english language,although being so many country`s second language,is one of the most difficult to learn.We have cough,bough,though.All with the same last 4 letters,but all pronounced differently.I was surprised to be told that it is considered difficult.I did french,latin and german and found french easy,latin pointless and german ridiculous.
German has der,die and das.French has le and la and we have the.
The germans put the verb at the end of the sentence ,just to be bloody awkward aswell.
Mind you,it`s not surprising i didn`t like german,as the bitch of a teacher smashed a german dictionary over my head about 6 times for getting a word wrong.

Learnt/earnt always seems right to me, I just end up doubting it (hence I've just re-checked) because of the spell checkers!

Learned sounds clumsy in certain sentences!

Yea, learned always looks like it should be pronounced learnED as in the learned gentleman.

Jonah - 18/7/2013 00:40

Yea, learned always looks like it should be pronounced learnED as in the learned gentleman.

I think you can only use the word learnED if you speak like Stephen Fry.

A lot of Brummies say "fount it " instead of found it.
No wonder the kids find english difficult at school when the parents can`t speak properly.
It must be murder for people in the black country.They spake one longwidge at um and a completely different one at school.

If I was allowed to punch everyone in the face who I've heard say ''it's ot ay it?'' over the last couple of weeks (which I'd like to) I'd have a very sore hand!

The word/s that really get on my pip are 'you know' after every other word. It has got so common I want to scream.

It does my bloody head in

Greek which is my 2nd language, is peculiar too. Though it isn't to them. To, Tou, Tiv, Tous Tav, Ton and other variants for the word the, alone.

Yes they write and speak alot back to front from us, as club was saying about Germans

As long as you don't communicate via those death trap tools called mobile phones skeggy.

The Fear - 17/7/2013 16:17

:17:

I do like how language evolves and different words/usages to be fair.

BBJ came out with a blinder not long back, I can't recall it now but it was a great word!

Basically our N American cousins can't cope with irregular verbs likes what we does.

By the way, if you are interested in language development you should look for a book called the Loom of Language. Written in the 1920s I think, but a bloody good read. Really easy read. I found it fascinating and, to be fair, I don't really have that much interest in the subject. Certainly kept me occupied. I'm sure you'd pick it up dead cheap on amazon.