DW Stadium | Vital Football

DW Stadium

That was fine when the stadium was built and he funded it partly from selling Springfield Park, but since DW lost interest and Sharpie said his 'family' was glad to get shut of Latics as it was costing £10 mill, to run the club.

The cost of running of the club, falling attendances and the costs of the Stadium, were becoming too much even for the 'Whelan' Family.

It cannot carry on long term, playing in a 25,000 capacity stadium with about 9,000 fans, this could be why the buyers are reluctant until now, to put their money on the table.

That was fine when the stadium was built and he funded it partly from selling Springfield Park, but since DW lost interest and Sharpie said his 'family' was glad to get shut of Latics as it was costing £10 mill, to run the club.

The cost of running of the club, falling attendances and the costs of the Stadium, were becoming too much even for the 'Whelan' Family.

It cannot carry on long term, playing in a 25,000 capacity stadium with about 9,000 fans, this could be why the buyers are reluctant until now, to put their money on the table.

Oh, be quiet!

I think the economic climate and particularly the ridiculous finances of football with no income at the moment may possibly give a slight challenge to many a possible investor.

This is a message board, if we cannot post a comment, what is the point?
It's no wonder new and old members have stopped posting anymore.

Anyway this is my LAST post, so i will be QUIET.

A bit of a daft post that Springy. You rightly have a pop back at Notts's comment, but then decide to comply with his instruction/wish !

Carry on posting mate. Why the hell shouldn't you? That said, given that we have a 25.000 seater stadium (which I acknowledge is too big), I'm not sure what you'd have us do with it........ other than try to fill it somehow.

Last edited:
It’s a good point why do you think the rugby want to try to help it’s to big for them as well
The tenants aren't on a bad thing though really. A minimal rent is not a bad thing compared with running, staffing and maintaining a stadium.
The pitch maintenance alone would be a massive hole in their finances.

Jeff, we are also a tenant as opposed to the owners. WAFC may be the principal or primary one but along with the Rugby we are still a tenant (as I understand it)

The stadium was build with the premier league in mind and although not full every week, it was pretty much fit for purpose for 10 years or so when we had high end attendances. We would be boamimg our small stadium and failure to cash in on the premier league years if we didn't have the JJB/DW. It also could could be an extra plus point for any new owners with lofy ambitions as the infrastructure is in place and can be maximised for multi use. Although I agree it's much too big and not financially great for us right now, it's the only stadium in Wigan and a dam sight cheaper than building a new one. We currently have very little alternative, unless of course we start playing our games in St Helens or Leigh :whist:

It would take a major redevelopment to reduce the capacity and given that we could not effectively reduce the footprint it would not reduce the running costs sufficiently to warrant it.

We have what we have and will have to contend with it.

The previous owners had plans to hold concerts and events in the stadium but I think that proved to be a non starter due to the twin usage by us and the rugby.

There were also plans for further development under the East Stand and that could have been useful as an exhibition venue and could also have been used to reduce the capacity in that area ( I know, how dare I suggest reducing the East Stand) by reducing the number of rows high up and moving the support down to the lower rows.

I suppose a study could be undertaken for a similar exercise in the West Stand to increase the hospitality suites and make them more available for conference venues.

Without bringing in extra revenue from off pitch activities it would be madness to try to reduce the capacity of the stadium as the overheads would no doubt remain the same.

Sorry Nottingham, for biting your head off, i now realise what you meant about being 'Quiet', it was the time of my post, i.e, 12:32 AM.

I came across this article in The Mail On Sunday:

by Jack Gaughan For The Mail On Sunday 17 February 2018

Read more at: http://www.sport.net/david-sharpe-on-being-footballs-youngest-chairman_691923

David Sharpe on being football's youngest chairman - Football - Sport.net

What follows, comes from the article and not my opinions.

'In the end, Wigan splashed out too much.
Whelan treated the club as a hobby and, when the parachute payments stopped, felt he could no longer plough his fortune in.

Sharpe slashed the wage bill in his first seven months from £23m to £7m'.

'The fanbase isn't a Premier League size,' says Sharpe.

'The stadium is too big for us.
Great for Man City, and it'll look great on TV,
but we'll have 8,000 here for Rochdale on Saturday.

They're loyal but that number won't grow massively.
We have to know our limits.

Keeping those expensive players could have left the club in a black hole we might never have come back from.

'We've been approached by a lot of people about takeovers in the past. Some are right, some are wrong.

It's about finding the right people and that's what we think we've come across. I'd love to stay here.

Whatever happens I'm a fan. I'd go in the away end, boardroom, wherever. I'd still be watching Wigan Athletic because it's all I care about.

Read more at:

http://www.sport.net/david-sharpe-on-being-footballs-youngest-chairman_691923

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with the DW and its capacity. Do you think Bournmouth are satisfied that they built a small stadium which bit them firmly on the arse the minute they got into the greed league. Are we now saying we no longer have any ambition to mix it with the big boys again. We are Wigan it's in our blood to defy logic and upset the apple cart. Enough seats even if only filled once in a blue moon brings in much needed revenue a small.stadium cannot do the same.

There is nothing wrong with the DW and its capacity. Do you think Bournmouth are satisfied that they built a small stadium which bit them firmly on the arse the minute they got into the greed league. Are we now saying we no longer have any ambition to mix it with the big boys again. We are Wigan it's in our blood to defy logic and upset the apple cart. Enough seats even if only filled once in a blue moon brings in much needed revenue a small.stadium cannot do the same.

Well said

Unfortunately Stetic, it doesn't do much for the atmosphere in the 95% of games in which the home fans total less than 15k. ..........and 75% when they total less than 12k..........never mind the 50% less than 10k.

Most z
Unfortunately Stetic, it doesn't do much for the atmosphere in the 95% of games in which the home fans total less than 15k. ..........and 75% when they total less than 12k..........never mind the 50% less than 10k.

Most Championship teams bring decent support to add to the atmosphere. I think a bigger problem is the lack of positive vocal support from your typical Latics fans. 😕

The Stadium size, put to side for awhile.

The most important thing at present, is to get decent owners to save the club.

If we get stability, how do we increase the fanbase for future?
i'm nearly 70, i took my lad to 'Springy' when he was 5 years of age,

I know the cost of following sport is expensive, especially for families,
hopefully the new owners (fingers crossed) will have plans to solve this problem, which will increase the revenue to the club, and increase the match day atmosphere,