DW Stadium | Page 2 | Vital Football

DW Stadium

Most Championship teams bring decent support to add to the atmosphere. I think a bigger problem is the lack of positive vocal support from your typical Latics fans. 😕
The lack of volume at times from our (your?!) fans at home games is hardly the point though, is it.

The ground was fine for the ambition of the Premier League.
It's too big for us in the Championship.
In League 1, we rattle about in it.

Most z

Most Championship teams bring decent support to add to the atmosphere. I think a bigger problem is the lack of positive vocal support from your typical Latics fans. 😕

It's not only Latics, who lack of positive vocal support:

MANCHESTER UNITED have announced plans for a dedicated
'atmosphere section' at Old Trafford amid concerns about the lack of noise
at the Theatre of Dreams.

While the Red Devils have the largest club stadium in the Premier League, the volume levels regularly fall flat.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8564939/man-utd-news-season-ticket-price-freeze-eight-years/

Should have been like Rotherhams.but to late now
Yeah! That or Leigh Sports Village? That’s always being used for some footy reserve league games and challenge cup semis!

edit: Just noticed how unadventurous my two examples were for the stadium... Elton John played there in 2014 🤝

The stadium is too big as the fan base just never grew sufficiently to match the ambition. But no one is going to spend money to shrink it and neither us or Warriors are going to build a new smaller stadium to move to. So it is what it is and won't be changing anytime soon.

So while with hindsight it would've been better to have built a 15k stadium or something like that it's still a good stadium, the pitch is now superb and it's leasehold from the council protects it from every being taken away by a crooked owner trying to develop on the land.

I like the DW and think overall we're pretty lucky to have it. I just wish we didn't have so much apathy and glory hunters in the local area and we could get more people in.

Why not go retro and do as lots of clubs did in the 80s when we last had a period in football of finances crashing and clubs going to the wall. I suggest sell the south stand to a supermarket for example LIDL to build. alla the Normid at burnden.

Sorry Nottingham, for biting your head off, i now realise what you meant about being 'Quiet', it was the time of my post, i.e, 12:32 AM.

I came across this article in The Mail On Sunday:

by Jack Gaughan For The Mail On Sunday 17 February 2018

Read more at: http://www.sport.net/david-sharpe-on-being-footballs-youngest-chairman_691923

David Sharpe on being football's youngest chairman - Football - Sport.net

What follows, comes from the article and not my opinions.

'In the end, Wigan splashed out too much.
Whelan treated the club as a hobby and, when the parachute payments stopped, felt he could no longer plough his fortune in.

Sharpe slashed the wage bill in his first seven months from £23m to £7m'.

'The fanbase isn't a Premier League size,' says Sharpe.

'The stadium is too big for us.
Great for Man City, and it'll look great on TV,
but we'll have 8,000 here for Rochdale on Saturday.

They're loyal but that number won't grow massively.
We have to know our limits.

Keeping those expensive players could have left the club in a black hole we might never have come back from.

'We've been approached by a lot of people about takeovers in the past. Some are right, some are wrong.

It's about finding the right people and that's what we think we've come across. I'd love to stay here.

Whatever happens I'm a fan. I'd go in the away end, boardroom, wherever. I'd still be watching Wigan Athletic because it's all I care about.

Read more at:

http://www.sport.net/david-sharpe-on-being-footballs-youngest-chairman_691923

"It's about finding the right people and that's what we think we've come across."
After over a year of takeover negotiations and approvals etc etc we only wish you had found the right people.
What went wrong in that 12 months David?

Can't believe we are having this discussion. It's a fantastic stadium with fantastic facilities. For a small club from a small town it's bloody fantastic.
Someone did say about the Normid thing at Burnden and with a bit of development there is plenty room under all the stands for further retail, office or commercial development to bring in income.

It just requires some imagination and creativity to artificially reduce capacity.

I’d like to suggest huge seat coverings as has been seen at PL grounds which would be far better than swathes of empty seats. These could be at the top of the stands and feature montages of great Latics moments or our legends. So scenes of us lifting the FA cup, Jewell leading us to the PL, Cook and these seasons hero’s etc. Folk like Andy Liddle, Boyce holding young Jospeh etc. Can even get one of Phillips if he overturns the penalty! I’d like to think they’d be inspirational and would bring fans more condensed (post covid and social distancing obviously) and theoretically create a better atmosphere. So reduce south capacity by two thirds, trim the outer most sections of east and west and even use in away end depending on numbers.

Still doesn't feel like home ...give me a redeveloped Springy any day of the week. That ship has sailed though so we move on.
I know what you mean about that. Could have comfortably fit the DW on that site, no problem whatsoever. Just look at Ewood and Deepdale who had less land and even bigger constraints to development like housing and roads and even a river at Ewood.

It just requires some imagination and creativity to artificially reduce capacity.

I’d like to suggest huge seat coverings as has been seen at PL grounds which would be far better than swathes of empty seats. These could be at the top of the stands and feature montages of great Latics moments or our legends. So scenes of us lifting the FA cup, Jewell leading us to the PL, Cook and these seasons hero’s etc. Folk like Andy Liddle, Boyce holding young Jospeh etc. Can even get one of Phillips if he overturns the penalty! I’d like to think they’d be inspirational and would bring fans more condensed (post covid and social distancing obviously) and theoretically create a better atmosphere. So reduce south capacity by two thirds, trim the outer most sections of east and west and even use in away end depending on numbers.
Good idea.

Blackburn was surrounded by terrace houses and they bought them and expanded. The DW is a great stadium and dont forget it is 21 years old. All things do age and when we went to old trafford for the youth cup must say under the stands/toilets etc where pretty shabby and not what expected. Murals and seat covers are great look what Bournemouth have done on stand ends. The stadium seems to be overlooked for major events like rugby/international youth football/ladies internationals/non league finals which is suprising given uk location,road networks/rail links,car park space,stadium facilitys inside,athletics track next door for warm ups etc. Seems a shame and an extra line of income surely during stadium down time.Guess some one must not like us