Dull - Dull - Dull | Page 2 | Vital Football

Dull - Dull - Dull

I can't see how it can continue as an attraction for the majority of supporters. Back in the day teams dominated for a while and then faded for a while but it was possible for anybody to challenge more or less. At the start of every season you had that optimism that this was the one where your team would compete. 75% of supporters no longer have that. How can you get excited about going to a game when you are among the also rans? Support will diminish for that bunch of clubs as the younger supporters drift towards the top 6 or so clubs.

I was at a family birthday on Saturday. Nobody there supported a local side, it was depressing!

I
McCormack's £35k pw? The Government takes about half of any professional player's salary through Income Tax and National Insurance. Football makes a massive contribution to the country's coffers.

One of the reasons we ran into trouble with HMRS is that for every player we only cough up about half of that player's salary to the player, the remainder we have to put aside for payment to HMRS, along with employer's contribution to National Insurance. Any club which doesn't have that money and/or doesn't put it aside is going to be in trouble.

The club has to pay that level of salary and tax because....? I wonder why players who attract that sort of money are often content to settle for mediocrity?

Working under pressure yes, dedication and commitment yes, personal and family sacrifice yes and that's just Doctors, nurses, teachers, social workers etc. All of whom are responsible for the health and well being of thousands of people throughout their careers.

I'm sorry but market forces or not, for me the money paid to high level sportsman, actors and entertainers has lost touch with their true worth.

Survival and success for the wealthy, as for the others? Let them eat cake.

Last edited:
The thing that grips me is hearing the pundits say teams have had a great season then you look at the league table and those teams are finishing mid table or below. Fuck off !! That's not a great season. Only caveat I suppose is they could be newly promoted sides. It's the 'established' sides (thinking baggies and stoke) that were written and spoken about in such terms for being in the league 5 years ).

'Established premier league' that saying is up there with young and hungry for bullshit in modern football.
Established premier league?. Mid table mediocrity is what it means. Big wow. Make room on the honours board Mr Chairman we can put Established premier league up there with those Fa cup wins !.

Whatever’s going on in the football world, the greed league, call it what you will, the city of Birmingham with its massive population should have a team among the elite. Through a combination of mismanagement and lack of vision we have been amongst the alsorans for years. I look forward to the day when Villa Park is once again filled to the rafters and there is some star quality for kids and fans to latch on to. We are a demoralised crew because we are not at the party, that’s all.

McCormack's £35k pw? The Government takes about half of any professional player's salary through Income Tax and National Insurance. Football makes a massive contribution to the country's coffers.

One of the reasons we ran into trouble with HMRS is that for every player we only cough up about half of that player's salary to the player, the remainder we have to put aside for payment to HMRS, along with employer's contribution to National Insurance. Any club which doesn't have that money and/or doesn't put it aside is going to be in trouble.

Love it, I'm guessing here but I expect players don't work directly for AVFC they will work for their own Ltd company and Avfc or whoever pays them will pay that company. I expect they pay no more than 20% corporation tax or whatever it is these days. No doubt Mr Heathfield our resident accountant will explain why this is or isn't possible

I

The club has to pay that level of salary and tax because....? I wonder why players who attract that sort of money are often content to settle for mediocrity?

Working under pressure yes, dedication and commitment yes, personal and family sacrifice yes and that's just Doctors, nurses, teachers, social workers etc. All of whom are responsible for the health and well being of thousands of people throughout their careers.

I'm sorry but market forces or not, for me the money paid to high level sportsman, actors and entertainers has lost touch with their true worth.

Survival and success for the wealthy, as for the others? Let them eat cake.

Yep northampton, that Jimmy Hill has a lot to answer for doesn't he?

Yep northampton, that Jimmy Hill has a lot to answer for doesn't he?

As with many things in modern society 58, instead of finding the middle ground football has lurched from one extreme to the other.

Did you know according to my 16 year old daughters there are at least 7 different genders which are completely different to what sex you are. All of which is accepted as the norm by the modern generation. Their favourite TV show is a male drag queen contest to find the most popular man dressed as a woman.

Men as women, women as men, footballers as millionaires, rock stars as members of the nobility. Welcome to the 21st Century, where apparently you can be whatever you want to be. And because they made it to the promised land that is funded by TV money, AFC Bournemouth are more successful than Aston Villa.:hmmm:

Last edited:
As with many things in modern society 58, instead of finding the middle ground football has lurched from one extreme to the other.

Did you know according to my 16 year old daughters there are at least 7 different genders which are completely different to what sex you are. All of which is accepted as the norm by the modern generation. Their favourite TV show is a male drag queen contest to find the most popular man dressed as a woman.

Men as women, women as men, footballers as millionaires, rock stars as members of the nobility. Welcome to the 21st Century, where you can be what
ever you want to be. And because they made it to the promised land that is funded by TV money, AFC Bournemouth are more successful than Aston Villa.:hmmm:

Yes northampton, we live in a time where a person is judged, not by their abilities but, by their celebrity status.
A time where people very rarely go to the aid of another for fear of being sued.
A time where strangers don't look at each other let alone speak.
It's enough to make you cry isn't it?