Dry January | Vital Football

Dry January

tarzan

Vital Football Hero
This comes in various forms and the media appear to have picked up on it big time in 2014. I am going to do it this year.

Thoughts?

I'm not doing dry January but I am only drinking when we go out or have visitors. That should cut my alcohol intake from around 12-15 days a months to 3 or 4. I also intend to continue it into the year. This way I cut out unnecessary drinking while still being able to enjoy a night out.

I think that if you want to have a dry January you should however I don't think it's a good way of raising money.

Money raising events should be something special and unless you are an alcoholic it should be no challenge what so ever to not drink for a few weeks. If you are an alcoholic I would suggest that you should abstain for far more important reasons and get help to do so, and not just for January.

The reason the media has picked up on it is that number of "charities" publicising the idea with add campaigns. It's obviously seen as such an easy thing to do that they expect many will want to, especially after the excesses of Christmas and New Year as many want to dry out a little anyway.

I will happily donate money to various charities but not because anyone doesn't drink for a few weeks, it's kind of pathetic really, compared with people that train all year to run a marathon, for example.

Wurz, I really like your suggested approach. A very sensible strategy.

I tend to binge (mix the grape and the grain) - can't seem to control that very well.

Yeah I think to cut something out totally is very hard but who drinks at home to get drunk? And if after a month I fancy a can of beer with a film it doesn't matter.

when i seen the title of the thread i thought you were on about the weather and was thinking you're mad!

I only had one night when i had a drink throughout Christmas and New Year (my mates 40th I had about 6 pints), I foresee no occasion when I'll be drinking in January.

It is though perhaps the thing I miss the most having had kids.

But if anyone wants to sponsor me to be 'dry' then we'll call it a pound a day.

Have to agree with the above, all looks a bit gimmicky to me charities telling you what to do and when.

As you say, I'd rather sponsor marathons, sky diving, or whatever, something where people really have to put in an effort.

I don't drink so much these days, especially after a rough 2012 health wise, but when I want a drink, I'll blinking have one! Going to start a bit of red wine a few times a week actually, good for the health that and they say drinking in moderation is better for you than being t-total.

No, JF, I used to imbibe, often far too much, to be honest. I gave it up in my mid-twenties (is a year or so back....).

I enjoy the occassional drink, especially as above, a red wine these days. However I don't like getting drunk, I already feel sloshed health wise plus I put a lot of effort into the training, can't see the point undoing it.

Years back I enjoyed a darn good tipple (!) but these days, a leisurely drink is more my thing, or none at all.

I had the obligatory lost weekends on booze, when younger. I was also capable of getting blind drunk rolling in gone 2am eating a big greasy kebab and still be up at 6am for a run. I think if I tried that now I'd cry.

So the moral of this post is enjoy your youth.

With two young daughters at home, popping up to the local on a Monday to discuss the football with 'Bluenose Rich' over a couple of pints (a discussion which has begun to resemble the classic 'Four Yorkshire-men Sketch' - "Draw at home? we dream of a draw at home") is one of my few selfish indulgences and the bugger's gone dry for Jan!

Also, again due to having two daughters aged two and 5 months, my wife and I relish the chance to relax with a Gin & Tonic followed by opening a bottle of red to enjoy with our steak on a Saturday night after putting the eldest to bed - an oasis of calm in the usually hectic week! It was the reason we didn't do a dry January!

Agree with the comments about doing it for charity - don't see how it's deserving of sponsorship.

[youtube=DAtSw3daGoo]

SKEGGY - 8/1/2014 11:03

I had the obligatory lost weekends on booze, when younger. I was also capable of getting blind drunk rolling in gone 2am eating a big greasy kebab and still be up at 6am for a run. I think if I tried that now I'd cry.

So the moral of this post is enjoy your youth.

spot on mate. I struggle with a hangover after one night. I used to do 2 in a row. Theres no way i would be able to do that now!

I can sort of see the link to Health charities. Drink has been linked with many serious illnesses and health problems, so encouraging people to abstain for a month, which may lead to a reduction in overall levels afterwards, should a good thing.

After all, their primary role is to reduce the occurrence of whatever they are fighting, as well as cure it.

I haven't drunk since the Sunday before New Year, but that's because I've had a bad Chest infection, not through choice!!