DRONES | Page 3 | Vital Football

DRONES

The govt has announced a proposed registration and training scheme for drone owners but it sounds pretty lightweight to me and quite a way off.

I think we should have a jamming device wherever secrecy and/or security is important that would stop drones from flying in that area. That would allow people to prevent privacy breeches and simply not allow the drones to fly at all, disabling their take off. The government must take decisive action and regulate the use and legislate against manufacturers before a serious accident or incident takes place.

Flew a drone last week while away, dead easy to get the hang of - amazing bit of kit and the shots I took of the coastline looked like something out of a high budget film.

I know that's not really what this discussion is about, but I loved it.

freundorfoe - 14/8/2017 17:49

Flew a drone last week while away, dead easy to get the hang of - amazing bit of kit and the shots I took of the coastline looked like something out of a high budget film.

I know that's not really what this discussion is about, but I loved it.

We were in the Kawartha's this past weekend and my son took some phenomenal shots of his friends water skiing and wakeboarding. You're right. The quality is off the charts.

While I DO NOT like the idea of drones from a privacy and security stance and as I've said, I think they must be licensed and perhaps fitted with a disabling device so that if they are flown in an area where they are not needed to be, they can be stopped from flying. I do think they have some useful assets. I was looking recently at making a video of our school in Uganda and also a video for our church and it occurred to me that you could get some great, flowing shots of your campus for advertising and information purposes etc.

I like technology and applaud innovation and all those things. I just don't like some things that can be used to bad purposes and this is one of those things that could really deliver not only nuisance value but be a real weapon in the wrong hands.

It seems to me that when it comes to shutting down airports because of them an immediate ban should be imposed on their use and they should be taken to a registration centre where they could be inspected and registered and given a visible drone ID like a plane has. Everyone then knows whose it is. Any without an ID can be shot down on sight.

Madness anyone off the street can just buy a drone. They are not that expensive either.

Instant public ban will do the trick.

It's a wonderful opportunity to insist that all drones are radio/gps 'chipped' with a reg and owner details like a dog is, add to that treating the control of buying and selling of them as we do cars and the problem can become a money producing one for the state...

There is technology to create 'no fly zones' but it is expensive and will have to be permanetly deployed.

Alot to be done, but done it can be.

The problems were flagged up years ago but nothing was done. The lithium batteries going into the blades of a jet engine could be devastating. That's discounting any deliberate attempt to bring a plane down with explosives or chunks of metal. A jet coming in at 200 mph plus being hit in the windscreen by solid metal etc ? You know what it's like when a stone hits your car screen at 50 or 60.

If I were in charge of an airport, I’d have a drone hotline for reporting sightings and a couple of full time people employed to shoot them down.

If I were in charge of an airport, I’d have a drone hotline for reporting sightings and a couple of full time people employed to shoot them down.

Then you wouldn't even need a drone to create havoc. Just phone the hotline and lie about one being flown in the area.

New measures announced today. Registration process, Police powers, fines etc. Too late , took major disruption at Gatwick to wake up the govt. Reactionary instead of preventative.

Drone sighting disrupts Heathrow today. Flights grounded. Heathrow announce they are planning to spend on anti drone defence systems. Did they think they were immune ?

I just did a bit of research into military drones after seeing the news of alleged Iran based drone attacks on Saudi oil plant.
Very scary capability. The USA Reaper being the most advanced with over 4000kg take off weight and over 400 kph speed . Endurance of 14 hours. Can carry bombs and missiles, very accurate.
Iran are said to be making their own, China is known to have supplied at least 6 Countries with their own versions. Israel also produce significant quantity.
Because they are small targets they are hard to hit and fast so difficult to shoot down, soldiers on the ground are vulnerable to them .
There are some video clips on YouTube. One crude but scary home made one in Russia is a 4 rotor lightweight drone with a machine gun and camera which can recon and shoot targets. This is entry level stuff, it can also self destruct in kamikaze fashion.
We know how good the Chinese are at this kind of technology !!

I just did a bit of research into military drones after seeing the news of alleged Iran based drone attacks on Saudi oil plant.
Very scary capability. The USA Reaper being the most advanced with over 4000kg take off weight and over 400 kph speed . Endurance of 14 hours. Can carry bombs and missiles, very accurate.
Iran are said to be making their own, China is known to have supplied at least 6 Countries with their own versions. Israel also produce significant quantity.
Because they are small targets they are hard to hit and fast so difficult to shoot down, soldiers on the ground are vulnerable to them .
There are some video clips on YouTube. One crude but scary home made one in Russia is a 4 rotor lightweight drone with a machine gun and camera which can recon and shoot targets. This is entry level stuff, it can also self destruct in kamikaze fashion.
We know how good the Chinese are at this kind of technology !!

There are already counter-measures and som military solutions like Lockheeds Athena is already showing how it's 30e early test version can knock out large drones from the sky with it's laser - the one currently under dev, can hit multiple targets - and is being said being designed to take out supersonic ones...

Lots of the drone defrence systems will be deployed next year - so the ying and yang of attack and defence will once again be in balance for those who can afford to pay for it..!

Have a look at this:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=dd79abd3bb0844828610a841b7a6c166

Last edited:
Not getting too far from Judgement Day when the machines will take over!

A business I am vested in has multiple applications using AI and developing AI - on their current trajectory of self-designing improvements once AI has almost limitless large compute power via quantum computing (viable commercial deployment not too far away) it's capabilities will grow exponentially - after that, nothing will stop it changing the face of the World and how we live our daily lives.