DRONES | Vital Football

DRONES

Welshtel

Vital Football Hero
An airliner hit by a drone. What next?
Although I'm not a Luddite or anything like that, I embrace new technology gladly and I can see the fun in having a drone, I can also see the real nuisance value of them and the possibility of losing my privacy etc (we had a drone buzzing around the housing estate near us recently and I thought 'If that hangs around here, I'll chuck a brick at it").

But if we think about this there's a real possibility that it won't just be Amazon delivering stuff using drones, ISIS will be trying the same. To think that a huge airliner with its payload of people could be reached easily with one is too horrible to think about.

Should drones therefore be allowed? What good use could they have, really? Are they really going to enhance lives? They're only going to be used maliciously or at the least annoyingly. If I think how I could usefully employ one, even for fun, I'm hard pressed to come up with something tangible.

So is it time to ban them before we get overrun with the things? You can buy them over the counter at Maplin etc, so should the government act now?

The Law almost always lags behind innovation.

The law will catch up, I confidently predict registration/licensing will sooner or later become compulsory (and so operators will be forced to buy a licence and insurance for potential liabilities) and all flight data will be captured and monitored in a single large database via the apps/phones that control them..

In the meantime we'll simply have to speed up the 'capture / disable' interceptor roll-out plan for sensitive UK area's - which will be a huge financial bonus for quite a few some service organisations and others...

Exactly. Wringing your hands because a new technology isn't controlled perfectly, immediately, is counter-productive.

UAVs are incredible. I did my final year project on them at uni. The Israeli army uses them to evac injured soldiers. They are the future... They wont be crashing into planes soon, because they'll be replacing them.

ahx00 - 18/4/2016 12:50

Exactly. Wringing your hands because a new technology isn't controlled perfectly, immediately, is counter-productive.

UAVs are incredible. I did my final year project on them at uni. The Israeli army uses them to evac injured soldiers. They are the future... They wont be crashing into planes soon, because they'll be replacing them.

I saw a trail evac at an army base not so long ago during an exercise - it was ground hogging, intelligent and loaded with mobile health monitors, cost a fraction of a helicopter run, could land almost anywhere and using the same GPS sats as attack drones.

Sooner later we'll start considering them for roadside victims too - a small van can unload and lift pre-programmed to hospital in minutes - not something you can say about helicopters.

local authorities will use them for geography/road/planning checks and save millions and in times of natural disasters you can pre-program an army of them to get aid to exactly where it's needed - and the same for battlefield supplies...etc

As you say, they'll rule the World sooner or later..

I have no problem with the military using drones, they are great for the use, saving costs of helicopters, gaining surveillance, saving lives of armed forces personnel etc, they SHOULD be used more and more for that. I don't mind the police using them in similar ways or for security reasons as long as they are only gathering criminal information but to spy on innocent people, that HAS to be ruled right out. The press etc MUST NOT be able to use them and the public SHOULD be banned from using them to spy on other peoples property etc. They have few boundaries, civil liberties WILL be breached by the use of them.

Personal rights to privacy are eroded enough as it is. ANYone who disagrees with that is crazy.

The danger factor of drones landing accidentally where they shouldn't, falling on people, distracting drivers, getting into the hands of pranksters etc who want to cause mayhem are fatal accidents waiting to happen. If kids run around housing estates now on four by fours etc, they'll play havoc if they get these for Christmas.

BUT TERRORISTS can create whole new reigns of terror with these things.

GOT to be BANNED! Sorry.

Welshtel - 18/4/2016 23:49

I have no problem with the military using drones, they are great for the use, saving costs of helicopters, gaining surveillance, saving lives of armed forces personnel etc, they SHOULD be used more and more for that. I don't mind the police using them in similar ways or for security reasons as long as they are only gathering criminal information but to spy on innocent people, that HAS to be ruled right out. The press etc MUST NOT be able to use them and the public SHOULD be banned from using them to spy on other peoples property etc. They have few boundaries, civil liberties WILL be breached by the use of them.

Personal rights to privacy are eroded enough as it is. ANYone who disagrees with that is crazy.

The danger factor of drones landing accidentally where they shouldn't, falling on people, distracting drivers, getting into the hands of pranksters etc who want to cause mayhem are fatal accidents waiting to happen. If kids run around housing estates now on four by fours etc, they'll play havoc if they get these for Christmas.

BUT TERRORISTS can create whole new reigns of terror with these things.

GOT to be BANNED! Sorry.

We already have laws and rules here that cover the use of drones - basically, you can only use them where they're aren't people or where you have special permission.

The new anti-drone, drones are getting better all the time, but I do agree, like anything drones in the wrong hands could and will eventually do damage - but those large enough to deliver a payload are pretty easy to spot. but probably until their is a terrorist use of one, we'll all be far too relaxed about how they could be use in an instance like that....we always, always lock the stable gate after the horse has bolted - it's what we do.... :10:

As I said, it's now ripe for companies to make money out this and the government to bring in embedded technology and licensing - happy days !

It's worth knowing that a detect and avoid system for drones is being considered as part of a plan to avoid mid-air collisions with planes.

Drones might soon be forced to be fitted with aircraft-style transponders to make it safer to use them in Britain’s crowded airspace., the multi-million pound project is being backed by the Civil Aviation Authority, and is being designed to enable both pilots and air traffic controllers to spot drones being used on the approach path to UK airports.

It is among measures being considered by the government as part of an overhaul of rules for civilian drone use. It also includes a compulsory registration system and the installation of “geo-fencing” software on devices that would prevent them entering protected airspace.

A consultation is expected to be published by the Department for Transport within six months.

Justin Pringle, chief technology officer of Drone Operations, based in Newcastle, said that there was no chance of the culprit behind Sunday’s collision being caught because of the lack of a register of drone users.

In response, the DfT is preparing to begin a consultation in early autumn into the rules governing drones.

Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon, the transport minister, said that the department would investigate the feasibility of a compulsory registration system that would enable police to track drone owners.

A £3.2 million project is also being led at Cranfield University to investigate the feasibility of a low-cost, lightweight “detect and avoid” system for drones.

Just a follow up of what Ex was saying with regard to rules etc regarding drones....

Here's a report I read about them in Wales which shows some of the nuisance values etc: (I wondered about the occasions they were seen over Swansea prison, were these making 'deliveries' of some sort?' it makes you wonder and also gives insight to the possibilities of their use)

"Police are dealing with a significant rise in calls about drones amid the growing boom in "cameras in the sky", figures released to BBC Wales show.

South Wales Police saw the biggest increase, with 38 separate incidents over the past year - up from only four during the previous three years.

Gwent Police had 19 complaints in 2015-16 and Dyfed-Powys had nine. North Wales Police had just one since 2010.

Drones were also reported over Swansea Prison twice last year.

A Freedom of Information (FOI) request revealed both the drone and a mobile phone were seized in the first incident, although no suspects were traced on either occasion.

Anyone found using drones in an attempt to get contraband into prisons could be punished with a jail sentence of up to two years.

Meanwhile, a second FOI request revealed the increase in calls to police in Wales about drones had increased in 2015-16.

They showed:
Of the 38 complaints received by South Wales Police, five warnings were issued after drones were flown in prohibited areas. On one occasion the flying of a drone above a house in south Wales was referred to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), which looks after airspace safety. Again, however, no suspect was traced
Gwent Police reported no drone incidents from 2011/12 to 2013/14, and only one in 2014/15. But in 2015/16 that jumped to 19. Eleven of those were classed as "public safety and welfare" matters, and another four as "anti-social behaviour". However, none of these cases led to injury or damaged property, and there were no prosecutions
Dyfed-Powys Police had only four complaints between 2011 to 2014. These included calls about noise, flying above a business, and over a garden. But those complaints rose to nine in 2015, although four related to the same incident. One complaint was due to an "ongoing neighbour dispute" in Powys, and most were calls about the drones in the air in Pembrokeshire
The exception was North Wales Police, which said it had just one recorded incident since 2010"

Now I realise that this is Wales and some technologies haven't reached everywhere yet but its interesting to see the above and I can see where kids will get with the technology quickly where it has a 'value' to them.

Another BBC report on Drones:
"Two people have been charged with using a drone to send phones and cannabis into a Kent prison.

Ingrid Edwards, 25, from Charlton, and Daniel Lee Kelly, 37, from Grove Park, south London, are both accused of two counts of sending prohibited items into HMP Swaleside in Eastchurch.

It is alleged the items were sent into the jail between 16 March and 25 April.

Ms Edwards, of Wolfe Crescent, and Mr Kelly, of Amblecote Meadows, appeared before Medway magistrates on Tuesday.

They are due to appear before Maidstone Crown Court on 24 May."

OK although I DO NOT want drones whizzing around my house, spying or whatever they do, I just heard on SKY that drones are being used in Rwanda for delivering blood, medicines etc to remote areas and absolutely endorse that, - BRAVO! As long as there is a PROPER use for a drone and they are being used in great ways like this, GREAT. As soon as, however, drones become criminal in any way, as far as I am concerned, loss of people's privacy and noise polluting and being a danger to the public constitutes just that.

But for the masses of urgent needs in the world that drones may provide an answer for, develop on!

Welshtel - 22/5/2016 14:38

OK although I DO NOT want drones whizzing around my house, spying or whatever they do, I just heard on SKY that drones are being used in Rwanda for delivering blood, medicines etc to remote areas and absolutely endorse that, - BRAVO! As long as there is a PROPER use for a drone and they are being used in great ways like this, GREAT. As soon as, however, drones become criminal in any way, as far as I am concerned, loss of people's privacy and noise polluting and being a danger to the public constitutes just that.

But for the masses of urgent needs in the world that drones may provide an answer for, develop on!

Drones have massive potential - but just like dynamite, they can be used for both nefarious activities and good...

it's human nature.

But it's worth noting that in the Queens speech drones were specifically mentioned under new technology laws to be brought in...(it's the terrorist threat that is scaring the pants off all governments over drones!)..

Was outside in the garden last night and the drone was buzzing around the estate again. Apparently there are 2 people on the local estate that use them. This one was hovering at around 200 feet mostly over our house-ish. The residents association is kicking up about them. I can see some trouble brewing over it. There have been people saying that they will shoot them down, apparently, allegedly.....

New Report Today:
This time in Newquay Cornwall, and the incident happened at 900 feet! WHAT was a drone doing up at that height and WHY are these things allowed?

"Police are investigating reports that a passenger plane was involved in a "near-miss" with a drone near Newquay airport.

Devon and Cornwall Police said the incident happened as the aircraft, which had 62 people on board, was coming into land.

The drone apparently flew alongside the ATR-72 plane for a period while it was at about 900ft and two miles from its destination on Tuesday afternoon.

The flight, operated by Flybe, was travelling to Newquay from London Stansted at the time.

The pilot reported the close encounter but officers were unable to find the device or anyone on the ground.

Inspector Dave Meredith said: "The aircraft was travelling at around 900ft and was approximately two miles from the airport, just south of St Columb Major, when it reported a near-miss with a drone which flew alongside the aircraft.

"Police immediately conducted a search of the area but neither the drone nor its operator could be located."

THESE THINGS ARE NOT RIGHT! Something DOES need to be done.

Ive been reading lately how drones are now being used for many operations such as routine examination of an aircraft by encircling it and putting together a 3D image of the plane to be kept on record as proof of its airworthiness on a particular test date.

As a former pilot, I can appreciate the use of this having done 'walk-arounds' before my flights but its possible to miss some minor details but these cameras and their operators can almost microscopically examine detail, plus if they have a 'perfect, copy of what plane looks like from new, the computer can spot variations in its file.

The use of the drone though, to my mind, MUST be licensed. I would not want a drone hitting my plane, were I still flying. More than this, you would not want it entering the air intake of a jet engine.

This is at a stage where we can still stop it. We need to do it now!
Amazon etc need to abandon their idiotic plans to deliver items by drone. Its nonsense.