Drink Driving | Vital Football

Drink Driving

Lengthen it imho!

Mind you the main problem with drink driving is not on the night when people have been drinking as people then get taxi's etc. The problem is the next morning when people think they are O.K to drive after sleeping. The majority of times they aren't. Cops can catch more drink drivers in a morning than on a night, a police officer once told us

Any reason for the question Skeggy or just a general of what are people's thoughts on it?

Stay the same,the authorities have more than enough slope for lengthening a ban.

I've never drink and drive Kefkat anyone who does is a prick! Just a case that's been brought to my attention that's all

I think its a bit of a grey area being done the next morning.

It hasn't happened to me, but you could easily be over the limit early morning but feel fine and not know that you are breaking the law.

You don't wake up and see a figure which shows whether you can drive or not. So you never know. If I see police doing checks early morning, I don't get the feeling that they are protecting us, I get the feeling that they are trying to catch someone out. Just seems a much easier option for them than stopping people late at night when they are more of a danger to everyone else.

Also driving bans are not an ideal punishment in my opinion. In my job, I do 50,000 miles a year. I have got no points on my licence (touch wood) but I could go through 3 or 4 speed cameras over 3 or 4 years, just a few miles an hour over the limit and get a 3 month ban. I would lose my job and could easily end up losing my house. Where as if I worked in an office and did 5,000 miles a year travelling to work, the only change would be 3 months on the bus before going back to normal life. Totally different punishments.

I know this is an area which provokes debate though. If your life was effected by a drink driver you would want them all banned for life. If you got caught out the morning after, right on the limit, you would have a totally different view.

The could be clearer. I sometimes will have one small glass of wine IF I am having a meal. Or a small cobra. I am confident I've not been over the limit whilst driving since I was 18 or 19ish. I had a few drinks at a pub having borrowed my dads car. It was 'only just down the road' to get home and instead of being grown up and walking home, telling dad and him walking (as the logic I used should have been reversed that it was 'only just up the road' and I could have walked back up with him as an apology... not that he'd have needed one)

Got home safe it was only a 2 min drive but I then thought what an idiot and that 2 mins could have changed my life and more importantly someone elses.

I do agree with Neil, it is difficult the morning after. There again, if you know you have had a skinful, then you do know you are still drunk really.

Not enough police on the roads these days though, just those stupid speed cameras. So drink/drug driving has probably increased.

I'll have a pint with dinner. No idea if that makes me over the limit or not. Suppose it depends on the strength of the lager, and also how long you spend eating and possibly even how much you eat?

As J said, i think it could definitely be clearer. Most important thing is that I don't feel at all impaired or affected by a single pint with a meal. If I did, I wouldn't drive.

RosettaStoned - 18/2/2013 10:56

Ban for life and 1 year prison sentence by default.

Hate them.

Rosie is obviously becoming softer in his old age! Shot the buggers

Edited because predictive text hates me!

neilh111 - 18/2/2013 09:45

I think its a bit of a grey area being done the next morning.

It hasn't happened to me, but you could easily be over the limit early morning but feel fine and not know that you are breaking the law.

You don't wake up and see a figure which shows whether you can drive or not. So you never know. If I see police doing checks early morning, I don't get the feeling that they are protecting us, I get the feeling that they are trying to catch someone out. Just seems a much easier option for them than stopping people late at night when they are more of a danger to everyone else.

Also driving bans are not an ideal punishment in my opinion. In my job, I do 50,000 miles a year. I have got no points on my licence (touch wood) but I could go through 3 or 4 speed cameras over 3 or 4 years, just a few miles an hour over the limit and get a 3 month ban. I would lose my job and could easily end up losing my house. Where as if I worked in an office and did 5,000 miles a year travelling to work, the only change would be 3 months on the bus before going back to normal life. Totally different punishments.

I know this is an area which provokes debate though. If your life was effected by a drink driver you would want them all banned for life. If you got caught out the morning after, right on the limit, you would have a totally different view.
So buy a breathaliser, gray area removed!

m.clasohlson.com/uk/Alcosafe-kx6000S-Breathalyser/Pr364300002

There's a good argument to be had for compulsory breathalysers in vehicles. Possibly linked to the ignition, so that the engine wont start if you fail.

I'd be all for that. Clarity is whats needed.

Have read a few reviews of breathalisers not being accurate apart from the top grade ones the police use. No idea if that is still the case.

I do prefer just not to have a drink 9 times out of 10, but a curry with one bottle of cobra, or a meal and one glass of wine I think would be fine alcohol level wise.

Addies regulars will concur that I dont even bother having one alcoholic drink if I'm driving - it's just not worth it.

I think they should change the law so the alcohol level for driving is zero. Drink affects different people in different ways so this would make it crystal clear for everyone.

So what if you did that James, and then had a meal where alcohol was in the food? A Sherry trifle if you will?

Get someone else to drive. It would just be the same as it is now, instead of saying to the missus ''will you drive if I have a couple of pints'' you would just say ''do you mind driving if i have the coq au vin.''

Like the smoking ban I dont think it would take long to get used to, and prefered even by those who it effects.

I think the ban should be lengthend there is no excuse for it, im sick of seeing people driving on my side of the road and swirving all over the place when im out, its frightening howmany do this i see!

You should lose your license. If you went on your driving test over the drink drive limit you wouldn't get your license.

Same thing with talking on your phone.

I never talk on my phone while driving.

My phone doesn't let me talk and play Angry Birds at the same time.