Drink Driving | Page 3 | Vital Football

Drink Driving

Green Tea - 18/2/2013 18:01

I went out for a drink last night and only had the 1 pint then drove home from this country pub. I was chatting to the land lady and she said the drink driving laws have killed the business and she may be closing down very soon, the 2nd pub just down the road has already closed. There are no taxi's and no bus route and the only way to get to and from this pub is by driving. I live 6.5 miles away(no footpaths, just country roads/lanes) and driving home last night I never seen any other car or pedestrian. This is the same landlady who mentioned some of her regular customers that just dont come anymore, including the guy that had drank there for 30 years. I can see her side of the story and I can see the law's side.

Aye, business wise, along with the fag ban, and cheap brew at home etc, the pub trade has been massacred for sure.

A lot of the booze wasn't as strong as it is now either 30-40 years back when it was far more the norm to drink and drive.

I went out for a drink last night and only had the 1 pint then drove home from this country pub. I was chatting to the land lady and she said the drink driving laws have killed the business and she may be closing down very soon, the 2nd pub just down the road has already closed. There are no taxi's and no bus route and the only way to get to and from this pub is by driving. I live 6.5 miles away(no footpaths, just country roads/lanes) and driving home last night I never seen any other car or pedestrian. This is the same landlady who mentioned some of her regular customers that just dont come anymore, including the guy that had drank there for 30 years. I can see her side of the story and I can see the law's side.

Are you really saying that drinking 4 pints and two whiskey's and driving home is OK because a pub is in the country? Seriously you have to be on the wind up.

I may have dreamt this but I'm sure a local politician or councillor over in the west of Ireland somewhere was trying to overturn the laws with drink driving because of the social and economic problems that are being caused by people not gong to the boozer.

A CONTROVERSIAL challenge to drink-driving laws looks set to spread after a local politician in a second county said he would call for exemptions.

Independent Galway councillor Michael Fahy said he supported the call from Kerry councillor Danny Healy-Rae for drink-driving permits for rural dwellers, and would raise the matter at the next sitting of the policing committee in Galway.

Despite widespread criticism of the proposal, Mr Fahy said he did not believe the exemptions would lead to road deaths.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/support-for-healyraes-drinkdrive-permits-for-rural-dwellers-is-spreading-29021591.html

What an idiot!! LOL, summed up in this stupid comment he made

"I've had calls from people who wouldn't leave their names, but everyone's entitled to their opinion and so am I," he told the Irish Independent.

And here he is looking like he is about to drive home!!

[img=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5e/Michael_Healy_Rae_smiles_for_a_Constituent.JPG/200px-Michael_Healy_Rae_smiles_for_a_Constituent.JPG]

I do actually see his point. In rural parts of Ireland the pub is vitally important to the communities, and people are suffering from being isolated.

Now whilst i dont think drink driving is the answer, they should work harder to arrange designated driver responsibilities, or subsidised taxi's by the pubs perhaps? If I was a landlord, I dont see why each person couldn't put two euro in the pot, then I or a member of staff could drop them off at the end of the night within a certain radius. Is that too ridiculous an idea?

I went out for a drink last night and only had the 1 pint then drove home from this country pub. I was chatting to the land lady and she said the drink driving laws have killed the business and she may be closing down very soon

This is awful news.

Only the other day I was chatting to a guy who said that due to new abortion laws, he found it was so much harder to find a rape victim, as most of the girls were more careful about becoming so intoxicated, they actually knew how to defend themselves from sexual predators.

I remember a great drink driving advert years back.

Showed someone who had written a page of errr writing without a drink.

Then after one pint (it was scruffier) and then after a few (full of errors)

They say the word is mightier than the sword, but in this case, a car with a drunk behind the wheels is far mightier.

RosettaStoned - 19/2/2013 19:24

I went out for a drink last night and only had the 1 pint then drove home from this country pub. I was chatting to the land lady and she said the drink driving laws have killed the business and she may be closing down very soon

This is awful news.

Only the other day I was chatting to a guy who said that due to new abortion laws, he found it was so much harder to find a rape victim, as most of the girls were more careful about becoming so intoxicated, they actually knew how to defend themselves from sexual predators.

My online chloroform business has been almost wiped out by rohypnol. Would the government bail me out? Would they fuck.

I got stopped by the police last night.

"Have you been drinking sir", he asked, "You are weaving all over the road."

"No occifer", I stumbled, "I'm trying to avoid the potholes."