'downright nasty' - LCFC and the dark arts 2018-2019 | Page 4 | Vital Football

'downright nasty' - LCFC and the dark arts 2018-2019

In the premiership the ball would seem to be in play for roughly between 54 and 59 minutes over the average game, call it 61% of the time? I'd suggest it would be less than that at L2 level (more clearances into touch, more passes astray and out of play, more long balls etc etc)

https://talksport.com/football/3159...emier-league-side-201718-season-171127263506/
Give the 4th official a stop-watch and play for 60 minutes, one dark art banished, and we'd most likely still be top of the pile!

I'm pretty sure I can give a more objective view on this than nearly everyone who posts here due to my inherent placticity as a born-again non-attending fan.

The brothers will wind up all opposing supporters with their carping and the players take their lead from it.

All our players dive (sorry, I meant take contact) to win free kicks - not only Andrade - Akinde does it for example, and we scored from such a free kick on Saturday.

When ahead we play to the border on time-wasting and commit the so-called tactical fouls.

All this is true.

However, recent comments by the likes of Swindon (City are the worst one old-timer has ever seen) and Cambridge are laughable because the team does all that, but it really isn't excessive.

What I do know for certain is that football fans in general (ours included, mind) are utter, utter hypocrites.

Just rewriten your last sentence for you

What I do know for certain is that football fans in general ( especially me included because I am so sanctimonious, mind) are utter, utter hypercrites.

earlier in the season we were getting wins and playing some very decent football. 31 points from 13 games. played a fair bit like true champions and didn't need, or get accused of, much shithousery imo.

currently we are not playing great football. the first 30 minutes on saturday was not top of L2 quality. we are getting our results based on hard graft, teamwork and anything else we can throw in. time-wasting, fake injuries, team time outs etc etc. 21 points from 13 games.

still enjoying being top. and 6 points clear of fourth - which is the better benchmark for me. realistically, are we currently sweeping all before us like taylor's team? nope. does the squad need a transfer window shot in the arm to get back to that first part of the season? yes.

I actually roughly timed the extra time ( to pass time,i know that doesent read properly),i actually thought toner only played 5 minutes of extra time,the only favour he gave us.
Every team would have done what we did with 9men.
Didnt the Oldham (a) game have very little time with the ball in play?

On my watch (with its stopwatch running), he blew up a couple of seconds before the 6mins.

There is a very simple answer to this. Have a game clock like they do in Ice Hockey. We regularly go to watch the Nottingham Panthers in the Elite Ice Hockey League. You get three 20 minute periods of play but it's exactly that 20 minutes because the clock only ticks down while the puck is moving. As soon as the ref blows the whistle or there is a stop in play the game clock stops. I am not for making changes to football for changes sake but this would stop frustrations and tactics on all sides of the fence end of!

Set the game clock at say 30 minutes a half and do it that way then you know you are going to get 1 hours worth of play it's pretty simple. Time wasting and play acting for time will be a thing of the past!

And i believe Marco van Basten proposed exactly that some years ago.
30 mins of actual play for each half.
10 mins for each half of extra time.

Only caveat could be deliberate time wasting when the ball is in play. Maybe the ref could have a button to add a minute on for example and the remaining time be stretched out by that minute
(So if 9 mins left, clock takes 10 mins to go round those 9 mins)
(That should be possible under Einsteinian physics!!!)

Just rewriten your last sentence for you

What I do know for certain is that football fans in general ( especially me included because I am so sanctimonious, mind) are utter, utter hypercrites.

Give it a rest mate it's tiresome. You're like a bleeding stalker.

I get it - you can't stand me. So either ignore me, or just stick to the content. Play the ball not the man.

I get it - you can't stand me. So either ignore me, or just stick to the content. Play the ball not the man.

Thought you'd written an interesting post to be fair.
Although not sure how you managed to keep stopping and starting your stopwatch throughout that action packed and nail biting match...

I could be wrong, and I can't supply any evidence for it, but I believe there's a standard 30 seconds added on for each substitution that's made - no matter how long it actually takes.
There is which i cant understand why clubs still mess about.

If we were a soft touch as we have been for the majority of the 57 years I have supported the club no fan of any other club would really care about our tactics because they would have taken 2 or 3 points for their troubles. Now we are on a role it becomes intolerable to all who have the misfortune to have to watch us while we continue to swell their home attendances. The Cambridge and Swindon fans really should take a look at this fair play table before they condemn us.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-two/fairnesstabelle/wettbewerb/GB4

Swindon should look at themselves before they start criticising us. Both teams are full of big lads who can look after themselves.

If the balls in play I don't see it as game management or something Voldemort would do. It's just football.

Keeping the ball out of play is game management. When you stop the game from flowing and hope to waste time when the time should be added back on.

(This makes sense in my head, I think, and there's a difference in what I'm trying to say at least.)

How many City fans would take the trouble to rewatch the game on I follow so they can log how much time we wasted and then use it as an example of our ‘dark arts’.
I rest my case.

How many City fans would take the trouble to rewatch the game on I follow so they can log how much time we wasted and then use it as an example of our ‘dark arts’.
I rest my case.
Someone with too much time on their hands I guess.
It's old ground, that some get caught up in. I was going potty about Wycombe last season, and someone rightly pulled me up regarding my stated enjoyment in reading Carlisle fans whinging about us.
Truth is, and 99% of us know it, every team does it when they see the need to. It's there for all to see, and there really is no requirement to quantify it.

The way I see it is that teams come to us and time waste from the first minute hoping to strangle the game and get something from it. We do by getting in front and defending a lead. So in effect we earn the right.

The way I see it is that teams come to us and time waste from the first minute hoping to strangle the game and get something from it. We do by getting in front and defending a lead. So in effect we earn the right.
I agree, but personally I hate that tactic... Port Vale springs to mind - we should push on for a win not try and hang on for one

I agree, but personally I hate that tactic... Port Vale springs to mind - we should push on for a win not try and hang on for one
We do it far to early i think ,Notts should have been a thrashing and Vale awin.I feel it will cost us more points if/when we go up next season!
I wonder if the Cowleys do stats on it,risk and reward ones.