Dover | Vital Football

Dover

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
This could prove a tricky fixture, most of Dover's victories this season have come on the road so presumably they defend deep and look to capitalise on the break. Pools still missing the flair of Molyneux and Williams could find their defence difficult to breakdown. Hence I'm anticipating another frustrating afternoon at the Vic!

I won't be there to witness how the game pans out, but nevertheless hope Pools can achieve a victory.

With no other fit keeper available, Killip will play so Dover are going to score particularly as the defence has been disrupted by the injury. I am hoping for the best but expecting a defeat either 1-2 or 1-3.

Another disappointing result, but not really that surprising!

As with others before me, I fear this will be my last season of taking anything other than a passing interest in Pools results. I have a season ticket but can see it remaining in the draw for the foreseeable future.

Sounds like the ref had more than a little to do with today's result but then you cant blame the ref for poor results. Obviously Dover were good enough to win and we were not good enough to break them down. Two players sent off plus Hignett. I hope we send a report in about this lackwit masquerading as a football official.

I'm afraid the result was the least of the problems this afternoon. Not sure anyone has the full story yet, but the word is that racist comments were made by some of our supporters to black members of the opposition. The ref seemed totally unequipped to get a grip on the situation that followed, and many of his decisions seemed to mirror this inability. However that's by the way.

I thought racism was being eradicated from football, but of course that was before our PM started his drive to present other races as legitimate targets.....Muslim women looking like 'post boxes and terrorists' etc etc. God knows where its all going to end.

Last edited:
More concerning are the reports of racism within the ground and the game being held up for 10 minutes as a consequence. This could prove serious for the club's future both this season and into the future.

For me our continued issues, on the pitch, revolves around a failure "to play the referee" which just about every team that comes to the Vic appear to have a gold medal in. We , our players and management, seem not to "befriend" the referees nor to drip advice in his ear regarding the oppositions overly robust approach. You can see every game during the warm up opposition players approaching the officials with "advice".

More concerning are the reports of racism within the ground and the game being held up for 10 minutes as a consequence. This could prove serious for the club's future both this season and into the future.

For me our continued issues, on the pitch, revolves around a failure "to play the referee" which just about every team that comes to the Vic appear to have a gold medal in. We , our players and management, seem not to "befriend" the referees nor to drip advice in his ear regarding the oppositions overly robust approach. You can see every game during the warm up opposition players approaching the officials with "advice".

"You can see every game during the warm up opposition players approaching the officials with "advice" "

Can you? I've never noticed that. In any case, it can't be successful quite every time, or we'd never win any matches at all.

And we've won how many home matches in the National League?
And felt badly done too by the officials?

Still, as with all things it is a matter opinion, we'll just have to disagree on this point.

Hopefully, Tuesday's game will see a positive result and no off field issues to distract.

Agree with all above: no place for racism at Victoria Park or anywhere else. Not sure if you can blame the disgusting behaviour of some twisted nutters on the PM. Maybe we should leave politics out of this? I hope the individuals concerned will face legal action and a lifetime ban from the Vic and every other football ground in the land.

Just thinking about next game against Chesterfield. If you were one of our black players, I wonder how much you want to give your all for a home crowd that has demonstrated such shocking attitudes? It is all just so sickening.

It is totally sickening, Alfalfa. But I don't think politics can be kept out of it because evidence says that politics is very much in it. There's evidence that racial attacks and comments have risen dramatically since the right wing parties have gained prominence in this country.

This includes comments made by people like Theresa May and Boris Johnson, who have done a fair bit to implant the idea that it's ok to be contemptuous of certain groups of people. Now Hartlepool seems to have been taken over by these right wing parties which, to anyone like me, who knows the town as it used to be, is heart-breaking, to be honest. It needs to be said that incidents like the one at the Vic yesterday are a symptom of all this and people need to be shown exactly what are the consequences of their votes.

Sorry, I don't accept the argument that if someone is a racist, it is the fault of the government. There is no excuse or get out clause for this kind of behaviour, it is pure ignorance.

Don’t know where to start on yesterday’s events. I can only describe it as my worst experience at a game since 1978 Ipswich away in the cup, I don’t go to games which don’t involve pools.

As a 16 year old with three other 16 year olds, we went the wrong way leaving Portman Road and asked a ‘police officer’ if he could direct us to a certain point and his reply was the worst piece of officiating I had witnessed until yesterday. We asked can you tell us where such and such a place is, we were getting picked up there, his reply astounded me as a 16 year old kid “I don’t know son but I wouldn’t stay around here it’ll be bad for your health”. Something i’ll never ever forget.

That’s where we were yesterday back in the 1970’s.

It was awful but all preventable. The referee’s decision to award a penalty incensed certain sections of the town end, must admit most of them were closer than the referee to the incident. Was it Effiong who slid into Cunningham(?) didn’t look like a penalty from where I was in the town end, but the person with the whistle thought it was.

Effiong dispatched the spot kick expertly and could easily have turned to his team mates and celebrated within the boundaries of the playing area. He chose not too, instead he chose to incite an affray by celebrating along the touch line with a gesture intended to increase tensions amongst an already baying crowd.
He was allowed to do this by the referee and his team mates where allowed to join him outside the white lines without intervention from the officials. All it needed was the referee to blow his whistle approach the player and have a quick chat. He didn’t, he watched as the players taunted a baying public then continued to watch as events unfolded and ended in an absolute shameful shambles. There is no excusing what transpired, absolutely appalling behaviour from fans and so called professionals.

“The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing”
This is exactly what the referee did ‘nothing’, other than watch and he looked on as though he was enjoying it. He was as far removed from a good man as Idi Amin however evil did well and truly triumph.

Dover players taunting the home fans and doing just enough to get the reaction they [Dover players] wanted, sparking a display of gesticulating and holding back each other of midnight Saturday down church street proportions. Pools players engaging with our own public etc. All avoidable.

From this point on his vendetta toward HUFC was laid bare for all to see, his decision making was so unilateral it wouldn’t have been out of place in the communist manifesto.

Behaviour like this will keep me away from the vic if it continues, the so called professionals in this league are anything but. This is the second incident of incitement I have witnessed from a National league player in the last 9 months, the previous being an opposition player engaging in banter with the crowd and it ending with him losing his sh*t and spitting toward a section of the crowd.
Again non of this excuses the events of yesterday but so called professionals have to display a certain amount of holding their sh*t together. They have to decide whether to just walk away or provoke a reaction.
:red:

Sincere thanks for that Billy. That is the first detailed description of what actually happened I have read. It doesn't make the incident seem any more edifying. I hope the referee is not allowed to officiate a National league match again. Other than that, we must move on and probably accept we are staying in this league for at least another season.