Dover throwing in the towel | Vital Football

Dover throwing in the towel

Alfalf2

Vital Reserves Team
The Mail is reporting that Dover have furloughed their staff and have told the NL they will be unable to fulfil their remaining in fixtures. This raises a couple of questions doesn't it?
1. Will some other clubs follow suit?
2. Even if they dont, what happens about the points already awarded from fixtures with Dover?
3. If even two or three other clubs copy Dover's action, can the season continue for the others?
4. If the season is discontinued will it be declared void because after all less that half the fixtures have been completed.
5. If not void how will final places be determined?

Lots of questions there Alf2 and I don't think anyone has got the answers. My feeling is that now Dover have broken cover, others will follow. This will mean that the vote becomes an irrelevance and consequently the season will be voided.
The ramifications of these actions for the NL and teams in it will be extensive as I can't see how the NL Board will be able to inflict meaningful sanctions against teams, such as Dover, without further conflict within the league.

All pretty grim isn't it particularly with Pools potentially in with a shout of a play off position? I'm keeping my fingers crossed some sort of solution will be found but as you may guessed I am not one of nature's optimists.

I'm sure you'll have gathered optimism isn't one of my traits either!

It strikes me that the NL have been naive throughout this whole process. It would appear that there were no minutes of the initial meeting with the government which allowed season start with "grants" - so nobody knows what was actually agreed. The vote and resolutions are ill conceived and are designed to create friction amongst NL member clubs so that the NL Board can save face when the season voided. My opinion, for what it's worth.

The extent, and reasons for, postponements on Tuesday will be interesting.

Last edited:
I think we can take it as read that the Pools game will be called off probably 10 minutes before kick off. As for the other fixtures, as you say, it will be interesting.

Finally, some action has been forthcoming!
Fined £40,000
Start next season on -12 points
This season's results to be expunged.

From Pools point of view the sooner the table is corrected to account for the expunging the clearer our position and requirement to get in the end of season shake up.
Dover have the right to appeal so I do see this dragging on for a while, yet!

The club has serious financial problems so the NL fines them £40,000 and docks 12 points for next season. Makes a lot of sense does that.

I see your argument Block Sands, but this is not dissimilar to the punishment dealt out by the EFL to teams who go into Administration.
Personally, I think Dover have got off lightly!
If you can't afford the entrance fee, you shouldn't join the club.

I see your argument Block Sands, but this is not dissimilar to the punishment dealt out by the EFL to teams who go into Administration.
Personally, I think Dover have got off lightly!
If you can't afford the entrance fee, you shouldn't join the club.
Agree with OP. If you cant pay the fees, stay out of the club. I suspect they would have relegated Dover but for obvious reasons that was not an option.