don't shout for scally to go! | Page 26 | Vital Football

don't shout for scally to go!

“Scally is a ****” and “We want Scally out” chanted at the game today.

Very specific demographic. Millennials in the terraces. This and much of their other behaviour was utterly embarrassing today. I had to repeatedly say to my son: “Don’t grow up to be like that”.

If you want a reason why we’re not attracting fans of the future... ...it’s an intimidating, hostile and inappropriate place to take your kids.

Very specific demographic. Millennials in the terraces. This and much of their other behaviour was utterly embarrassing today. I had to repeatedly say to my son: “Don’t grow up to be like that”.
If you want a reason why we’re not attracting fans of the future... ...it’s an intimidating, hostile and inappropriate place to take your kids.

It really doesn't achieve anything but, if they are millennials, it does prove that we do have support outside of us old gimmers. In fact, in the true definition, millennials should be aged between 25 and 40 so they are the most likely to have small kids themselves.

Whether they choose to bring them is another matter.

It really doesn't achieve anything but, if they are millennials, it does prove that we do have support outside of us old gimmers. In fact, in the true definition, millennials should be aged between 25 and 40 so they are the most likely to have small kids themselves.

Whether they choose to bring them is another matter.

Yeah - I was a little general. Mostly lads in their 20s. I sincerely hope that they haven’t had any kids. Other thing - they’re also the same ones who like to boo the ‘taking of the knee’.

I’m sure that there are some gimmers who’d like Scally out too - but they’re much too dignified and respectful to chant it on the terraces.

Also some homophobic chanting aimed at the Burton Goalkeeper from what I’ve read on the Facebook forum?
As for the second part of your post, I guess that’s why we have the family enclosure at Priestfield where those with young kids are encouraged to sit so they are not among the more vocal nasty stuff in the Rainham End? Away games obviously make it more difficult to steer clear of that.

Also some homophobic chanting aimed at the Burton Goalkeeper from what I’ve read on the Facebook forum?
As for the second part of your post, I guess that’s why we have the family enclosure at Priestfield where those with young kids are encouraged to sit so they are not among the more vocal nasty stuff in the Rainham End? Away games obviously make it more difficult to steer clear of that.
Reminds me of when my son was little as the opposition keeper was about to kick the ball he would shout Ahhhh That's it....

It must have been shocking to hear them boo.
I get why you seem upset by it all , having to explain all about BLM to your son.

I’d previously explained to him that the ‘taking of the knee’ is a stand against racism and not related to BLM.

I only needed to explain it to him once for him to understand the purpose. You and a few of the other buffoons have had the same explained to you repeatedly by this forum, by the FA, by Southgate, by the England squad, by various clubs and their players. The Burton PA bloke even explained it before kick-off yesterday.

Funny how an infant can get it first time but a number of the buffoons on here and in the terraces still choose to conflate it with BLM.

By the way, when my son heard the boos he said to me:
”Daddy, why are they booing? Are they idiots?”

I actually didn’t hear any homophobia - not to say it didn’t happen.

I absolutely love watching football. But on the odd occasion I am able to get to a match, I’m always ashamed of how football fans behave. Football terraces attract a disproportionate number of twats.

I actually didn’t hear any homophobia - not to say it didn’t happen.

I absolutely love watching football. But on the odd occasion I am able to get to a match, I’m always ashamed of how football fans behave. Football terraces attract a disproportionate number of twats.

That's disappoonting. I would have hoped Black Lives Matter, Kick it out, and rainbow laces etc would have put a stop to racism and homophobia at football matches.

At the risk of receiving pelters agin, this is the point I have been trying to make about the subject of racism.

The die hard racists are just hate filled and other races are just one of many targets. The same people target gay people or anyone that is a bit different. If there is a crowd of them, then they feel emboldened.

Buddha didn't seem to get it when I said that, in my opinion, it all comes under the umbrella of bullying but I do not see that anything is achieved by making out that EVERYONE needs to be "educated". Most people are decent and see others as equals, so have the right to feel offended by such blanket protests as the knee.

Further evidence yesterday that such gestures will not convert the minority that are hate filled.

I was on the terracing yesterday and concur with your observations. Though, tbf, I wasn`t aware of any booing when the players (with the exception of Carayol & Tutonda, who remained standing) took the knee.

But it does seem that an unsavoury element of the "choir" have a number of young and willing sheep-like followers.

Not as much anti-Scally shouting as at Shrewsbury but it was there, from the beginning. Interestingly, the first Scally-out chant was pretty much at the start of the game and it triggered a kind of "walk away" from the "choir" area by quite a few people clearly unhappy about the abuse and I heard several comment phrases to the effect of "i`ve had enough of that" . Seems to me that the majority of "that group" responsible for repeated profanity aimed at PS at our last two league games are, indeed, twats.

You mention "embarrassing" - good point because some of the stupid comments even embarrassed our own team. At one-nil up and during a stoppage in play, some in our "choir" decided to "sing" to the Burton ensemble - "How shit must you be, we`re winning away" - to which our young goalie Jamie Cumming turned around to the "singers" just behind him and, clearly bemused, raised his hands in a "WTF" kind of gesture. Whilst accepting that they have a right to their point of view, if their main aim is simply to stand there and throw profanity at PS, I really don`t know why they bother going !

At one-nil up and during a stoppage in play, some in our "choir" decided to "sing" to the Burton ensemble - "How shit must you be, we`re winning away" - to which our young goalie Jamie Cumming turned around to the "singers" just behind him and, clearly bemused, raised his hands in a "WTF" kind of gesture. !

I've always thought that was in the gallows humour bucket. I don't disagree that some of the players might be offended by it. I've thought it should be saved for the season where we are winless away and near the bottom. Not sure it was really applicable this season (although we are winless away 😉 )

Definitely gallows humour rather than anything more in my book.

Why didn't Carayol & Tutonda take the knee ?
Are they 'buffoons or twats' for not joining in ?
Perhaps they might have another reason ?

I'll go with personal choice.

I wish we could all respect each others personal choices in this world, as long at that choice is not illegal or offensive to others.

If people are offended by someone taking the knee for less than 5 seconds prior to KO then I'd suggest its them who has the issue not the player making the gesture.

As a society we need to stop looking for reasons to be offended. Someone picked me up on using the terms "manpower" the other day as its not inclusive.

I've always thought that was in the gallows humour bucket. I don't disagree that some of the players might be offended by it. I've thought it should be saved for the season where we are winless away and near the bottom. Not sure it was really applicable this season (although we are winless away 😉 )

I agree Mark, it is a kind of gallows humour. But, maybe knowing when or when not to apply it is too much of a challenge for some .

Agree with this.

“We’re shit and we know we are”, “6-5 we’re gonna win 6-5 (when 5 nil down)”, “how shit you must be, we’re winning away”, etc are all great examples of gallows humour.

Although 6 games in is just plain daft. They should be reserved for mid feb, freezing cold and rooted to the bottom of the league. Or at least bottom4.

*edit. Lancs put it as I was writing!

At the risk of receiving pelters agin, this is the point I have been trying to make about the subject of racism.

The die hard racists are just hate filled and other races are just one of many targets. The same people target gay people or anyone that is a bit different. If there is a crowd of them, then they feel emboldened.

Buddha didn't seem to get it when I said that, in my opinion, it all comes under the umbrella of bullying but I do not see that anything is achieved by making out that EVERYONE needs to be "educated". Most people are decent and see others as equals, so have the right to feel offended by such blanket protests as the knee.

Further evidence yesterday that such gestures will not convert the minority that are hate filled.

You've put it much better this time, I think.

I still don't agree with you entirely but this time you don't appear to be offering some kind of excuse for the racists.

Maybe I misunderstood you before? If I did, then I'm sorry.

I agree entirely with your second paragraph.