Donny - Derby? Rival? | Vital Football

Donny - Derby? Rival?

Gaz_Imp

Vital Football Hero
What are people’s views on Donny?

Is it a derby? Are they a rival?

Given geography would argue it is a derby, but never felt like one in my time. My dad talks about how it use to be quite heated.

I have never thought of them as a local rival, despite them being quite close to Lincoln. I couldn't say why that is, though.

Down to age I think as we haven’t played the regularly in recent years. For me they are a rival. Some tasty games in the early 80s against Donny with for the time large crowds. Always a good atmosphere with a bit of edge. Of course there is also the stop off at the Turnpike pre match.

I imagine they have much bigger rivalries with other clubs so not a derby.

A bit of a rivalry maybe but no more than we have with a Huddersfield for example.

I'm a bit traditionalist is what I consider to be a 'Derby' with City and think that if it's outside the county boundaries, it is not one.

Odd thing will be that many will be of the same opinion as me in that this isn't a 'Derby' but if asked about Peterborough will be arguing it is.
Lincoln to Doncaster is 41 miles
LIncoln to Peterborough is 50 miles

Ironically Lincoln to Grimsby is just over 38 miles so not a huge difference. That though is a Derby to me so it's not just a question of geographical distance I suppose

Odd thing will be that many will be of the same opinion as me in that this isn't a 'Derby' but if asked about Peterborough will be arguing it is.
Lincoln to Doncaster is 41 miles
LIncoln to Peterborough is 50 miles

Ironically Lincoln to Grimsby is just over 38 miles so not a huge difference. That though is a Derby to me so it's not just a question of geographical distance I suppose

Isn’t Mansfield closer to Lincoln than Grimsby? You’re right, more than just geography - although I still don’t understand Palace and Brighton.

Isn’t Mansfield closer to Lincoln than Grimsby? You’re right, more than just geography - although I still don’t understand Palace and Brighton.
I think it stems back to the mid/late 70's when Venables & Mullery were both in charge at clubs battling it out in Div 3 .... and later an explosive FA Cup tie.

Doncaster are just a local game IMO.

Rotherham their closest rival? They've got much bigger sides around them (Sheffield Utd/Wednesday, Leeds etc) for anyone to be too fussed by them? Grimsby is a big one I think but that's even further than us and Posh?

I have always thought of Donny as a bit of a Derby but I suppose it's down to personal opinion and what era you grew up in.

Well according to Codheads on The Fishy we are not a Derby or a rival but they keep having threads and discussions about us so they clearly aren't bothered. Nope sirree not important or a rival at all:lol:

I think it stems back to the mid/late 70's when Venables & Mullery were both in charge at clubs battling it out in Div 3 .... and later an explosive FA Cup tie.

Yeah I’ve heard that story. Still not sure why it resonates 40 years later! Maybe the real reason is that no-one else is that bothered about them?!

I have always thought of Donny as a bit of a Derby but I suppose it's down to personal opinion and what era you grew up in.

Well according to Codheads on The Fishy we are not a Derby or a rival but they keep having threads and discussions about us so they clearly aren't bothered. Nope sirree not important or a rival at all:lol:
The codheads would prob claim that a derby eastwards includes Feyanord and Ajax!

To me a Doncaster game is a local derby simply because of the location. I think there was great rivalry with them in the Third Division (North) days of the post-war period, and afterwards in Division Two.

I'm a bit traditionalist is what I consider to be a 'Derby' with City and think that if it's outside the county boundaries, it is not one.
Spot on - 'Derby' needs a suitable prefix, in our case, 'Lincolnshire'.

The others - Mansfield, County, Peterborough, Doncaster - are 'local rivals' and that rivalry can be spicy, but not a 'Derby' as such. We've frequently been in the same division so there's a lot of history built up.

The one I've never been able to understand is Hull, for me not local rivals at all, but that may be a factor or age - growing up in the 70s we never played them, and before the bridge was a good 2 hours from Lincoln.

I imagine they have much bigger rivalries with other clubs so not a derby.

A bit of a rivalry maybe but no more than we have with a Huddersfield for example.

Got to disagree on last bit. Can’t stand Huddersfield. Memories of Abbot, Booth and George Cain.