Doncaster at home | Page 6 | Vital Football

Doncaster at home

First thing to say is well done lads another win and another 3 points in the bag.

Now if we start to dissect the game we were poor for the last 30 mins of the first half, passes going astray, keeper trying to play it short and putting players under pressure in possession, etc. But stayed in the game.

Jamie Jones made two excellent saves to keep us in the game during the first half but his distribution let him down on a couple of occasions putting Naismith under pressure and leading to us losing possession and impetus. Having said that I think that it was due to the fact that we had a new CB combination and he was still assuming Naismith was as experienced at the back as Fox. Fox makes himself available for a quick pass out whereas Cal was not as quick to adjust. They worked it out and put it right during the game.

The new CB pairing of Johnson and Naismith looked a little shaky early doors as they worked out each others game. Johnson was getting exposed by moving too far forward for a spell and they were getting in behind him, leading to the two chances they had. I think Cal would have had a word with him and he made the change. There were far too many passes from the back going astray and the half time stats showed that one in four passes was unsuccessful. Second half they were rarely troubled and controlled the game with composure. I think Johnson has the attributes to be a very decent player at this level and will only get better as the season goes on.

Pearce frustrates me a little, his lack of control sometimes lets him down when in decent positions, whether this was due to the conditions or not I am not sure. Tom James continues to impress both going forward and in defence putting in decent tackles and blocks whilst defending but having the ability to put in a decent cross when going forward.

The young players in midfield look raw, both look to have talent but are prone to a mistake or misplaced pass, but I cannot fault their effort and given more game time and the right coaching and advice could become our new MacArthur and McCarthy. They both look neat on the ball and are capable of a decent tackle but need to work on their distribution. They both had decent games yesterday and looked much better in the second half when we pushed forward and pressed higher to disrupt the Doncaster midfield who were much more in control during the first half.

Lee Evans, although much berated on here, in my opinion had a decent game. He looks a much better player when free of the responsibility of shielding the back four. He is creative and strong in the challenge and a decent foil for Garner to play off. Again although not a spectacular performance it was a workmanlike game and again he got more reward in the second half as we pressed them high. His dead ball delivery from the corners caused one or two problems for the Doncaster defence.

I will brush over Gavin's performance as I think he is not match fit and was drafted in early to cover for Cal being shifted to CB.

Solomon Ottabor is one of those players that frustrates the hell out of people. He is a live wire and obviously has talent but is so inconsistent and drifts in and out of games, Cal Mac anyone? He has pace and power in abundance and his break from our own half in the first period sums him up. He skipped around two or three players and left them in his wake only to give a poor final ball. I hope that we hold onto him as if he can improve his final ball he will be devastating running at defenders in this division and if those runs are in the box we will see a lot of penalty shouts this season. Should have had a goal to his name when put through by Garner after earlier providing a pin point cross for Garner to head home.

Garner will fill his boots at this level. He will be among the divisions top scorers if not on top of the pile. He is a constant thorn in the side of the defenders and has the ability to hold up play and become the provider, as we saw with Viv's chance. He does have a problem with referees, and needs to be careful with the yellow cards as we don't want to lose him to suspension.

Overall it was a satisfying result and performance against a well marshalled team who came to the DW on a high. The first half we looked apprehensive and our distribution let us down, but following the manager and coaches intervention at half time we looked a different side and the goal gave us the confidence to go on and finish the game off without giving them a chance. The difference was that we held off them in the first half and they dictated play, whereas in the second half we got into them and pressed high giving them no room to play to their own style. We were dominant in midfield, calm at the back and exciting up front. We cut out the mistakes of the first 45 and scored a well worked goal to put the game to bed.

If we continue on this trajectory we will be in the mix for the play offs at the end of the season. Not a bad outcome given all that we have suffered over the last few months.

Up the Atletico Tic's

I think you have summed it up very well. It will be very interesting to see if we can manage to recruit a few players in the next week or two because as it stands we have no depth in the squad and if one or two get injured or suspended we are knackered. Yesterday's starting X1 will hold their own, but we desperately need more cover.

Big difference yesterday was e had 2 solid centre backs. Took them a while to gel but by the second half looked really solid. Wouldn't want to waste Naismith in every game but Johnson looks solid, safe and good on the ball.

Need another reliable centre back.

I think you have summed it up very well. It will be very interesting to see if we can manage to recruit a few players in the next week or two because as it stands we have no depth in the squad and if one or two get injured or suspended we are knackered. Yesterday's starting X1 will hold their own, but we desperately need more cover.

The problem we have is that until the deal is signed we have the squad limit to contend with. I just hope the EFL don't mess around and get the deal approved quickly to allow the new guys time to bolster the squad.

That said I don't think we need a large squad as I think as long as there is the main spine of the team solid we can utilise the young academy lads to fill in around them. I wouldn't want us to be bringing in loan players from other clubs and pushing the academy lads to the side after the way they have responded to the call so far.

He is the manager......we're supposed to be SUPPORTERS...let's support, then.

Didn't realise supporters should avoid posting opinions on a forum. Everyone seems to have become very overly sensitive if they think anything particularly bad was said by anyone.

Did you think we played well in the first half?

No one is saying you should avoid posting opinions, no one will argue about the way the team played in the first half. I (and perhaps others) thought that some of the criticism aimed at individual players was a little over the top, but that is only my opinion. I'm not sure why you are being so defensive KDZ, as far as I can tell no one has had a go at anything that you have posted in this thread in that regard.

No one is saying you should avoid posting opinions, no one will argue about the way the team played in the first half. I (and perhaps others) thought that some of the criticism aimed at individual players was a little over the top, but that is only my opinion. I'm not sure why you are being so defensive KDZ, as far as I can tell no one has had a go at anything that you have posted in this thread in that regard.

You are absolutely right when you say game of opinions and I've no issue with any opinion on the game - but some posters questioning others for holding a different opinion to them is my push back. None of us have to agree (and it would be boring if we all did) but we should argue the opinions we disagree with are inaccurate rather than it shouldn't be said.

Last edited:
Didn't realise supporters should avoid posting opinions on a forum. Everyone seems to have become very overly sensitive if they think anything particularly bad was said by anyone.

If people think our supporters are out of order for offering an opinion or over reacting then they should switch sky on. I’ve never heard so much crying and moaning because manure lost a game. I though Neville was bad but christ Evra is taking it to a new level. Pathetic isn’t the word, if they think a club of that size has problems. I know expectations are relative but this reaction is childish and pathetic - pundits on tv saying they don’t want to work for sky anymore because manure lost and suggesting assaulting the ceo is just beyond belief.

To be fair King as bad as we were in the first half that was the sort of game that we would have gone 2-0 down and lost 2-1 last season.

I think it is good that we managed the game in the second half to look comfortable 1-0 winners, rather than chucking points away in the last 10 minutes.

To be fair King as bad as we were in the first half that was the sort of game that we would have gone 2-0 down and lost 2-1 last season.

I think it is good that we managed the game in the second half to look comfortable 1-0 winners, rather than chucking points away in the last 10 minutes.

Absolutely, I think everyone agrees second half was huge improvement and it was a good win. Folks critical at half time all said as much and gave the due credit for the turn around.

The contention was criticism of the first half being unreasonable despite no one actually thinking the first half was good.

I think no harm giving critism when due if you give credit when it's due. Which seems to me what happened.

Last edited:
Solomon Ottabor is one of those players that frustrates the hell out of people. He is a live wire and obviously has talent but is so inconsistent and drifts in and out of games, Cal Mac anyone? He has pace and power in abundance and his break from our own half in the first period sums him up. He skipped around two or three players and left them in his wake only to give a poor final ball. I hope that we hold onto him as if he can improve his final ball he will be devastating running at defenders in this division and if those runs are in the box we will see a lot of penalty shouts this season. Should have had a goal to his name when put through by Garner after earlier providing a pin point cross for Garner to head home.

I didnt realise he was still only 24yrs old - from what I have seen watching on the TV he has real potential and certainly at L1 level - I am pleased he is signed up until January and hopeful we can offer him a longer contract if he carries on and the deal goes thru.