Doherty shines.. | Vital Football

Doherty shines..

Spursex

Alert Team
Irish pundit raves about Tottenham star Matt Doherty, despite late Cristiano Ronaldo brace

will-butcher.jpg

By Will Butcher
21 minutes ago

Matt Doherty and Ireland came within an inch of beating Portugal on Wednesday – and Damien Delaney has raved about the Tottenham star.
Doherty, 29, played on the left of midfield on Wednesday night in the Algarve – wearing the no.7 shirt for his country. But he was excellent.
In what was Ireland’s third 2022 World Cup qualifier, Doherty and Ireland really needed a result away from home. They came close to getting it.
Sheffield United defender John Egan rose highest to head Ireland into the lead on 45 minutes. But Cristiano Ronaldo was having none of it.

Although the new Manchester United man missed a pen, he nabbed a late brace to win 2-1. Doherty was applauded by Delaney after the match.
“[Gavin] Bazunu had a great game but Matt Doherty was man of the match by a country mile for me,” Delaney told Virgin Media Sport.
“Incredible in his travelling with the ball, interceptions. By far his best game for Ireland, and one of the best games I’ve seen Matt Doherty play.
“He and Seamus Coleman executed the manager’s plan to perfection, brilliant,” Delaney added, on the £65k-a-week (Spotrac) ace.

It was a brilliant performance from Doherty. Tireless running, composure when in possession and offering a defensive blanket on the left flank.
While the night will be remembered for Ronaldo’s incredible late brace and breaking the all-time international goalscoring record, Doherty was superb.
Bazunu deserves praise for saving Ronaldo’s first-half penalty, a brilliant stop. But Doherty will have given Nuno Espirito Santo food for thought.
Linked with a deadline-day exit after the signing of Emerson Royal, Doherty’s versatility might just tempt Nuno to keep giving him a chance.

https://tbrfootball.com/irish-pundi...doherty-despite-late-cristiano-ronaldo-brace/

He was excellent Ex,just a pity he can't do the same for us although he played in a different position, there definitely is a player in there.

I wish I'd seen it to be honest as I've struggled from almost day 1 to see why we bought him, but the reports about him last night were all mainly outstanding - maybe freed from Jose's negativity and back with Nuno we might see a different player?

I hope so, he could compete in several areas when needed.

Unless we get injuries I can't see how he gets any game time.

Japhet has looked slightly injury prone and to be honest from the reports the new guy could be just about anything from outstanding to plain average - so there is a chance he could be called upon. I've watched a few videos of him and just read a scouting report and he sounds a tad green with a tendency to over-elaborate, guess we will see him soon enough.

He seemed to do well out on loan from Barca at Real Betis, if not particularly defensively impressive, but good going forward with pace to burn, trouble is that sounded and he looked just like Aurier; similar pace over 40-60 yards, but capable of a few defensive howlers too...just saying!

Japhet has looked slightly injury prone and to be honest from the reports the new guy could be just about anything from outstanding to plain average - so there is a chance he could be called upon. I've watched a few videos of him and just read a scouting report and he sounds a tad green with a tendency to over-elaborate, guess we will see him soon enough.

He seemed to do well out on loan from Barca at Real Betis, if not particularly defensively impressive, but good going forward with pace to burn, trouble is that sounded and he looked just like Aurier; similar pace over 40-60 yards, but capable of a few defensive howlers too...just saying!

I think I would have preferred Tomyasu but time will tell...

Was he really on the left side of midfield . ???
Can you confirm that Vinnie . Seems a bit random . Obviously defensive midfield. ?
Ireland played with 5 at the back and have the Scotland problem of having 2 of our few premier league players both being RBs. Coleman is a certain starter, so that's the RB spot taken. So Doherty then plays LB and has done quite a few times in the past.

Whilst acknowledging that he has been consistently poor since joining us, I've never been ready to give up on Doherty, yet. He was so superior to anything we've seen from him during Wolves European season, that I think he should be given another season under Nuno, before any decision is made as to whether he becomes one of our next summer's cast offs. Trouble is I can't see him getting much game time at RB ahead of Emerson and Tanganga. I didn't see the Portugal game, but the left sided midfield role is an interesting twist, presumably it could equally have been right sided midfield. Based on the reviews, and the fact that we have so much midfield mediocrity, it does seem worthwhile for Nuno to give him an outing or two in this role, anything that relieves the overload being placed on Dele currently would be a plus. Maybe the Arsenal fixture, we should be able to win that match, irrespective of who plays and where they play.

That is why I think that eventually we'll go to 3 at the back, Reggie IMO has those same traits

Parrott had a few flicks 1st half which showed he was playing with a bit of confidence. He won’t make it at Spurs though imo. He’s still young and might develop but i don’t see it. He lacks pace and physicality. I see him as a No 10 for a championship/league 1 team.

Doherty was so so. He had a few decent runs into their box but his final ball was always lacking. He’s a decent player but again for me, he won’t make it at Spurs. His crossing isn’t good enough for an attacking full back.

Nuno must feel the same as he sold him whilst at Wolves, has played Tanganga in front of him so far this season and has spent €30m odd euro on a new right back.

The quality of the opposition was poor today which makes both players performances even more underwhelming.

Parrott had a few flicks 1st half which showed he was playing with a bit of confidence. He won’t make it at Spurs though imo. He’s still young and might develop but i don’t see it. He lacks pace and physicality. I see him as a No 10 for a championship/league 1 team.

Doherty was so so. He had a few decent runs into their box but his final ball was always lacking. He’s a decent player but again for me, he won’t make it at Spurs. His crossing isn’t good enough for an attacking full back.

Nuno must feel the same as he sold him whilst at Wolves, has played Tanganga in front of him so far this season and has spent €30m odd euro on a new right back.

The quality of the opposition was poor today which makes both players performances even more underwhelming.

I think you're right. Neither have a future at the club. Terrible shame for Parrott.

Good post there Sheringham, exactly my thought's on the pair of em, I am still waiting to see an incling that Parrot is the next best thing since sliced bread lol!

From all the reports, he had another excellent game last night..

I wonder if Nuno will consider starting him on Saturday and moving Japhet inside to partner Dier?
Must admit Ex, I was thinking it must have been his twin bruv, as it wasn't the real Doh! lol! yes he had a very good game.

From all the reports, he had another excellent game last night..

I wonder if Nuno will consider starting him on Saturday and moving Japhet inside to partner Dier?
I think that there is every possibility that Nuno will play three at the back in this game, with Doherty and Reguilon then playing as wing backs. Dependent on fitness after the internationals, this could be a likely lineup,

Lloris,
Tanganga, Dier, Sanchez
Doherty, Hojbjerg, Skipp, Reguilon
Dele
Kane, Son

I think that there is every possibility that Nuno will play three at the back in this game, with Doherty and Reguilon then playing as wing backs. Dependent on fitness after the internationals, this could be a likely lineup,

Lloris,
Tanganga, Dier, Sanchez
Doherty, Hojbjerg, Skipp, Reguilon
Dele
Kane, Son

I'm pretty sure Sanchez is out due to covid rules, not certain of that yet, but guess we will be shortly.