Does any one realy have any idea of who is taking us over how rich are they | Page 3 | Vital Football

Does any one realy have any idea of who is taking us over how rich are they

Sooner the deal is announced the better then we may hopefully have some clarity on the issue
Will be a long wait I suspect. Sharpe and Cook are out of country partying together and the EFL/FA tests are far more rigorous than they used to be in order to stop any dodgy chancers from getting their hands on a club. So I suspect we won’t hear anything until June.

People dont even know who owns what and who with Dave Whelans little empire so heaven knows just who is behind this takeover we just pray for the best.

Sadly Jack Ma has no connection to the buyers and if you read the IEC webpage it will tell you exactly who is involved with the company and its offshoots! Jack Ma defo not!

Choi Chiu Fai has roles as an executive and non-executive director in a number of different companies that Jack Ma has involvement in and his bio actually lists him as working for Yunfeng Capital, Ma's investment arm.

Last edited:
I'm amazed at how many humble football supporters know so much about the structuring of big business empires.
I never gave it a moments thought that my little club would ever be split into the football club and the stadium under the umbrella of a holding company...
I tip my hat to you lot ?

People dont even know who owns what and who with Dave Whelans little empire so heaven knows just who is behind this takeover we just pray for the best.

That is the best policy. Just pray.

WBA were supposedly taken over by a rich Chinese consortium. They are now broke and relegated.

If you look up the history of Birmingham City, they were meant to have one of the richest men around, he ended up in prison.

Villa? Still praying. We have a Chinese owner. He's popular with fans because not much has happened yet to test him. He's meant to be a billionaire but it is very difficult to find out much about him. What I do find seems to be contradictory. The talk I'm hearing (from high up) if we go up, we have the promotion money to spend. Doesn't sound like any other cash injections. So if he is a billionaire or not, it's irrelevant if he's not putting money in.

Might end up the best thing ever, his talk of champions of Europe in 5 or so years has gone very quiet though.

China has also clamped down on the money that is allowed to leave the country. It's not so bad for some of their businessmen who have enough assets outside already, but whether they are billionaires over there or not, if they can't get the cash out, it's another irrelevance.

So I think you are right ZAKKY, the takeover, whatever it is, is out of your hands, so just hope and pray.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

To The Fear; What the hell are you playing at?

Here we all are, enjoying our takeover fantasy consortium members discussion and then you come along with all this reality crap! Shame on you!

Please leave us alone or I will report you to the anti-fantasy consortium police.

So, here's the very latest; apparently when Dr Stanley Choi was at college in USA, he was very friendly with Mark 'Zucks' and the 'Musk' and they are now keen to get a piece of the Latics; they see massive potential and opportunities to create a premiership dominating mega club. WOW! Hey folks... hold on to your hats and of course, your season tickets. You heard it here first!!!!

Oh NO! Brace yourselves folks.... Bad breaking news: the newly appointed 'blades of grass counters' from IEC have lost count again; shame on them. Although, I suppose, in fairness; it's difficult when the shitehouses 'warriors' keep messing up the pitch....especially, just after they have finished the days 'count'... deary me.... who'd be a 'blades of grass counter' these days?

The takeover is needed for one reason, and one reason only. The current owner, Dave Whelan, wants to sell. Without drive and a clear direction, it’s difficult to have success regardless of investment. I’ve no doubt Sharpe is 100% committed but the fact is he doesn’t control the Whelan family purse strings. If Sharpe and his staff stay in place I’m sure they’d continue to do a great job.

If the new owners continue with the same level of investment I’ll be content. Ideally they’d put in a little more, but I’m thinking along the lines of investing in the club’s facilities, the pitch, youth set-up etc. If it also means we’re in a stronger position to retain our best players, and stretch a little further in the transfer market, better still.

I wouldn’t put another penny in the youth system/academy until I’d undertaken a proper root and branch review to find out exactly why we haven’t produced a first team regular academy graduate in the last five years.

"Everyday, it's a getting closer
Everyday, like a roller coaster" (Buddy Holly circa 50's 60's)

God, that tune is constantly going around in my head these days – I wish it would stop. Have you ever had that happen to you?

Everyday, I go on to the HK stock exchange to check any announcements from IEC but everyday – NOWT !

It all reminds me of when I was 15 and was madly in love with a beautiful young lady who lived some distance away and we corresponded by post. Everyday, I waited for the postman and most days he would walk by, I hated him when I didn't get a letter - it used to break my heart...... I'm starting to hate IEC....

Rejection has a huge effect on us all. The other night, Mrs Pies noticed that my crust had gone soft and gooey. She dragged me to the doctors and has feared, he diagnosed that I was suffering from pukka-pie-itis – again! I last suffered from this when DW appointed that dreadful Mr Coyle as our manager and then again with that horrible 'Malky' person. Anyways, all is not lost, the doc gave me a DVD of the FA cup match v Man C and prescribed that I should watch the part with our Wil scoring – 10 times a day! It's working, I feel a lot better now and my crust is definitely firming up!

Everyday, it' a getting closer, Everyday... OH No, not again, for god's sake – someone stop that bloody tune....

I wouldn’t put another penny in the youth system/academy until I’d undertaken a proper root and branch review to find out exactly why we haven’t produced a first team regular academy graduate in the last five years.

The point is Clatic, we are producing some talented young players through the youth system, the problem is we don't have the bottle to stay with it and put them in the first team. Dicko, Nichols and Flores are perfect examples and there are one or two others knocking on the door. Granted none of the players have gone on to be stars but they have held down regular starting positions with other clubs and now there is talk of Calum Lang being targeted by Everton. We need to start taking a chance with these young players and give them time to develop in a first team environment, not give them the odd game like Luke Burke got then ship them out, stick with it and nurture them. Hopefully PC will see the light and name Lang in the first team squad next season.

I get your general point but Lee Nicholls had his chances and wasn't good enough and seeing him against Latics for MK Dons the other week confirmed it. Latics did the right thing in letting him go.
Flores was a regular in a struggling Lge2 side before his car accident so not sure he's good enough for a Championship side or top Lge1 side as we were. Latics will also have watched him regularly & got feedback from his loan club/s
With Dicko, if I remember rightly Latics offered him a new deal but he wanted guarantees about starting which Latics (correctly in my opinion as no-one should be guaranteed starts) wouldn't give. he refused to sign the deal so Latics sold him rather than lose him for next to nothing

If I'm honest I reckon this story about Lang is something put about by his agent to either get him a better deal or more game time at Latics. I'm sure I remember something similar happening with Rakesh Bingham (I think that was his name) when he was linked to United & Liverpool. Latics offered him a new deal shortly afterwards but he never amounted to much at Latics & was eventually released

Unfortunately as a club Latics can't afford to give youngsters chances for the sake of it if they're not good enough & hope that chucking them in & persevering with em turns them into good uns. If the player is good enough then they will get a chance (a la Baines & McManaman), if not (& the management at the club see them day in & day out) then they won't

Spot on.
A Dave Whelan legacy, forgotten in the euphoria of winning the league. A preference to buying other club's players and selling them on. During Super Dave's parachute payment supported years players have been moved on at a loss. It is only recently that things have reverted to previous form.

The current incumbent has been in charge since December 2013 with little to show in that time. Mr Whelan and his grandson's penchant for sacking managers hasn't helped either.
Charlie Jolley is being scouted by Premier League teams, along with Callum Lang, Sam Stubbs, Chris Merrie, Luke Burgess and Tyler Golden .... things might actually .... Develop (at long last) !

It is certainly not easy getting players to step up from u18s to u21/23 to the senior squad but Wigan Athletic still lags way behind Bolton, Bury, Rochdale and Oldham when it comes to producing players.
There is no real pathway to the senior team despite the huffing and puffing every pre season.

The development squad has been binned ... going from the playing against premier league development squads to Final Third league games to Central League cup matches only,
We had last seasons "pick and choose" behind closed friendlies to the "erm ... that hasn't worked we are probably better off sending them to other clubs because we have nothing to offer them".

A prize for spotting the reason why I have posted the two URLs below .... the quickest answer wins an afternoon working on the DW under- soil heating.

https://www.wiganathletic.com/news/2018/may/international-news-mwiya-malumo-makes-zambia-debut/

https://www.wiganathletic.com/news/...n-offered-professional-contracts-with-latics/

Last edited:
MB. My point is that we are developing players, possibly not of the quality to get into the Championship or Premier league, but not many academies do. I mentioned this as a reply to Clatic who seemed to intimate that we weren't producing players from our academy.

Unlike others I believe that having the player around the first team aids their development, and in the case of Calum Lang I think having shown he is capable of scoring goals in a poor team in the second division he deserves a chance to prove himself in the confines of his home club. Putting him out on loan to a first division club only serves to put him in the shop window and allows the likes of Everton and others an opportunity of turning his head and once again we lose a talented young player. We have room within the squad to facilitate his inclusion as we already have three strikers plus Powell and my personal opinion is that working day in day out with players of that calibre could only serve to improve his game. This is only my opinion.

Dicko should've been given a chance, he was scoring goals out on loan but Rosler (i think) recalled him and decided against using him him before selling him - it wasn't the only bad decision Rosler made, so that one is fair enough. But Nicholls, Chow, Flores all unfortunately didn't show enough to deserve first team starts over other players we had on the books. Some clubs that have no funds and poor first team squads have to field kids who aren't ready out of pure necessity and sometimes they start out not good enough but they grow as players over time - but any club fortunate enough to have resources to sign players wont take that risk.

I imagine a big part of our issue in producing young talent is that we have City, United, Everton, Liverpool, Blackburn, Burnely, Bolton, Preston and a few other north west teams all fishing in the same catchment area for the best kids not to mention the possibility of clubs from further afield coming in and asking the kids to relocate. Many of the clubs who will be scouting the same kids as us simply have much better academy facilities and structures than we do. Not to mention the reality that the bigger clubs will probably be willing to offers kids sweeteners we can't match to sign and what young lad who isn't a Wigan fan is going to come here if the likes of United or Liverpool are knocking at his door.

The fact our 2 most successful 'home grown' talents: Baines, McMannaman were both released by Everton shows we are going to be largely picking up disgarded players like many other clubs. But while we are currently a Category 2 academy, any talented lad will probably have multiple options and would be more likely to go to another Cat1 set up. Becoming a Cat1 set up is probably going to be very expensive but it's probably going to be something we have to consider in the long term if we want to produce a higher calibur of accademy graduate.

Like that young striker we picked up from Bolton a few seasons back, selling on last summer, for a few hundred thousand. The goal of the youth set-up should not just be developing players for our 1st team, but professionals we can sell on for profit.

No excuse for it considering the facilities we have to offer. The players that have been close to breaking through as mentioned above haven’t been good enough to hold a spot down. Is it the coaching? Are our youth coaches not adequate enough to prepare these players well enough for when they reach a professional age? Or is our scouting wrong? We seem to shop exclusively at Liverpool and Everton’s youth dustbins without a thought to anywhere else... Something’s going wrong, we develop youth players to make money, either by them breaking into our first team and playing a starring role in a successful season, earning the club more money via promotion for example. Or by selling them on to a bigger club for a huge fee. We’re currently doing neither. I don’t care about us producing players who are good enough to maintain a professional footballing career like Flores, Burke or Nicholls. I care about us producing players who will either bring us success on the field for Latics, or bring us big money in terms of a transfer fee.

As for Lang, if we do sell him to Everton, then good luck to him, depending on how big the fee is then we’ll have finally done our job successfully for a change. But Paul Cook is not going to consistently play a striker whose only full time football has been at League One basement team Morecambe when he has Will Grigg, James Vaughan and Devante Cole ahead of him in the Championship bearpit. He will go out on loan and the club will probably try and have him sign a contract extension before he does. Paul Cook has made it clear in the past that he prefers his fringe players to be playing regular football rather than warming a bench or a seat in the stands. And he’s spot on. Now if Lang comes back next summer having banged in 20 goals at a L1 team, then it’ll be a different story, he could even have a recall option in January.

Unlike others I believe that having the player around the first team aids their development, and in the case of Calum Lang I think having shown he is capable of scoring goals in a poor team in the second division he deserves a chance to prove himself in the confines of his home club. Putting him out on loan to a first division club only serves to put him in the shop window and allows the likes of Everton and others an opportunity of turning his head and once again we lose a talented young player. We have room within the squad to facilitate his inclusion as we already have three strikers plus Powell and my personal opinion is that working day in day out with players of that calibre could only serve to improve his game. This is only my opinion.

A player will develop far more playing regular 1st team football at a level suited to their current ability than they will stuck in a “bigger club’s” development squad and/or first team fringes
That’s why England’s senior team isn’t seeing the benefit of all the strong national youth teams - coz the majority go back to their big clubs picking up salaries that they haven’t yet justified & don’t develop quick enough sat languishing in 1st team squads but not playing competitive football

By the time they eventually get released by these big clubs they’ve either not developed enough to be a good player in the lower leagues and/or they’ve earned too much to care