Do you trust the supermarkets? | Vital Football

Do you trust the supermarkets?

Bikini Inspector

Vital Football Hero
The horse meat scandal seems to be growing deeper. The food chain has been compromised. You are happily tucking in to your cottage pie not knowing you are consuming horse drugs from a backstreet Bulgarian veterinary practice.

Look on the back of your bread packet, its like a science experiment. We have people injecting our fruit and veg with GM organisms.

I for one am going to change how i eat and where i get my food. I will be looking at every label from now on. The new world order will not give me cancer.

Just dont buy anything that has been messed with. Look for organic and free range where ever possible and try to buy whole foods. If you want beef burgers buy the beef and make them yourself, if you want chicken pie, buy the chicken and make your own. Keep away from ready meals, processed foods and cheap meats like chicken for 3 quid etc. They are all likely to be pumped full of water/drugs to fatten them up.

These farmer's markets are good for fresh food, or you can try and grow your own veg. Just getting 3-4 hens will provide you with enough fresh eggs all year round for a family of 4 and they are so easy to keep and make great pets for your kids. You can pay about £8 for a young chicken and it will lay near enough an egg a day for a least 5 years and its a great way to get rid of carrot peelings and veg waste as they eat all the scraps.

A step further and if you have a large garden, you can get 1-2 pigs. I know a couple of friends that make all their own sausages, bacon, hams, pork joints etc and they taste 10 times better than the stuff you buy in the supermarkets. Again they make great pets, easy to look after but you need a large area for them and they will dig up the garden, so strong fencing is also required.

Another step further and you could also get a goat, great for low fat milk and cheese which is better for you than cow's milk. They also make great pets and easy to keep. :35:

Good stuff. I am going to get my fruit and veg from markets from now on. I don't eat processed meats anyway, but now if i do eat meat i will spend the extra just to make sure it is good and not pumped full of crap. I'm also going to invest in a bread maker and make my own.

Who knows what else is going on with our food. Time to get back to basics.

Green Tea - 15/2/2013 13:36

Just dont buy anything that has been messed with. Look for organic and free range where ever possible and try to buy whole foods. If you want beef burgers buy the beef and make them yourself, if you want chicken pie, buy the chicken and make your own. Keep away from ready meals, processed foods and cheap meats like chicken for 3 quid etc. They are all likely to be pumped full of water/drugs to fatten them up.

These farmer's markets are good for fresh food, or you can try and grow your own veg. Just getting 3-4 hens will provide you with enough fresh eggs all year round for a family of 4 and they are so easy to keep and make great pets for your kids. You can pay about £8 for a young chicken and it will lay near enough an egg a day for a least 5 years and its a great way to get rid of carrot peelings and veg waste as they eat all the scraps.

A step further and if you have a large garden, you can get 1-2 pigs. I know a couple of friends that make all their own sausages, bacon, hams, pork joints etc and they taste 10 times better than the stuff you buy in the supermarkets. Again they make great pets, easy to look after but you need a large area for them and they will dig up the garden, so strong fencing is also required.

Another step further and you could also get a goat, great for low fat milk and cheese which is better for you than cow's milk. They also make great pets and easy to keep. :35:

Morning Tom.
How`s Barbara ?

Of course not. They are legally obliged to prioritise profit over every other concern. Legally obliged to.

Breaking news, fish has been found in Fidus fishfingers. A spokesperson for the government said this is outrageous, how can you possibly have fish in fishfingers. The FSA will launch an immediate investigation and anyone caught putting fish into them will be in serious trouble.

I am not sure I trust anyone any more, even myself!

Profit has driven a lot of this stuff going on now but then, so has the lack of education for people as to what they should eat.

Question Time picked up on this last night and one of the audience said the poor are being penalised for having to buy cheap. Well, they could buy cheap but better.

We are talking ready meals here (for findus) and they (ready meals) sure as heck a) aren't proper food b) aren't a cheap way to eat.

Cheap way to eat is buy a bit of meat (unless a veg obv!) and some veg and actually cook the food.

I don't think the supermarkets / or the Gov food agencies can be blamed for trusting a company like Findus. They can't be expected to know that they have been fraudulently sold the wrong meat (Findus are looking to take legal action apparently, surprised they don't know the true source of their ingredients and it does seem a very long line of sources)

The cheap burgers etc... well, I'd rather have less and buy a bit better. I'm not against choice, I'm not against those who choose to eat some of the crap on sale, but we do ALL have the right to know exactly what is in the products we buy by good food labeling.

We don't have good food labelling and nutritional advice is also poor. The traffic light scheme was a decent one but the Gov backed out of it (not sure if it was Labour or Tories, think the latter) which is a shame.

I agree with The Fear on this one. We can't work out whats in anything these days. I try reading the labels on stuff I buy but I reckon you need a degree in chemistry to have any chance. As an older person , retired, I have more time than people at work and always try to buy fresh and cook it myself. But even then I don't know what the animals have been injected with when they were alive. People who are working need to be able to trust what they are buying because they are more likely to be eating ready meals as they are called. The government are now making people work longer because they say we are living longer but I think they will find that is more my generation because we were brought up eating proper food and seasonal. There is that much junk now being eaten, it will be interesting to see if life expectency continues to rise.

Agreed astonion, I went to a fast food joint yesterday, said can I have a burger please and they said... wait for it, this is hilarious...

neigh!

:12:

astonion - 15/2/2013 15:54

But even then I don't know what the animals have been injected with when they were alive.

We've a massive problem these days and most people just dont care... When you read about a company like Monsanto you will see what I mean... Im 23 and thanks to the internet, listening to Joe Rogans Podcast and my time in college with some different people Iv develop a different approach to life and how I see things...
Iv tried to eliminate most processed foods and things liek that but since Iv moved back home I cant get decent meat anywhere only Tesco or the butcher... As you say you've no idea whats going on things in the EU are not as bad as America but its still ridiculous...
The 'farm to market' chain or whatever you want to call it is useless I think they should bang a full map on the product it came from:
Farm X in Ireland> Processing plant in Wales> Transported to delivery centre in Brimingham > from the centre to this store...

Monsanto Doc:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VEZYQF9WlE

The War on Health:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0CQrL5nzwo

Four Horsemen trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLoB1eCJ93k

The 'facts' as stated on QT last night said you'd have to eat about 5-600 burgers a day with horsemeat in to consume a dangerous level of the drug they inject horses with, butol (?)

However, if they don't even know what meat it is they are buying, I don't know how they can tell whether the meat would be safe or not, could be pumped full of anything.

There is a very good documentary called food inc, well worth a watch.

I don't eat ready meals, but this scandal completely ruins the integrity of the mass produce food industry. I don't trust these mother fuckers anymore, I definitely don't trust anything the govt says about it. I want to know where my food is coming from and whats in it from now on.

Bikini Inspector - 15/2/2013 16:36

There is a very good documentary called food inc, well worth a watch.

I don't eat ready meals, but this scandal completely ruins the integrity of the mass produce food industry. I don't trust these mother fuckers anymore, I definitely don't trust anything the govt says about it. I want to know where my food is coming from and whats in it from now on.

Hopefully it spawns a movement towards knowing exactly where your food comes from perhaps even a focus on local produce or at least a campaign for National products over foreign food stuffs...

Il have a look for that Food Inc. I dont think Iv seen it... The other are well worth the watch although Four Horsemen is more bank related and the war on health applies more to america and the corruptness of the FDA...

MONSANTO is a company everyone should know about tho they are a disgusting organisation... You should also question why a seeds/food/agriculture company needs its own personal army (BLACKWATER)...

Yes I trust them in general. A bit of horse meat never hurt anyone. As for Bute you would have to eat 500 contaminated burgers in a day to receive the equivalent of one human dose. But if you want to buy better food fair enough. I don't buy many pre-made meals as my homemade ones taste better.

The problem we have is that industry are not 100% sure what long term damage these chemicals/drugs can do...I mean sure a test may prove fine on eating some of these foods in moderation but long term? Its a another story. The western world now have a problem with blocked arteries and cholesterol being the culprit, however the saturated fat which they 1st thought to the main concern is actually nowhere near as bad as the man made trans fats. My advice is to try and eat as natural foods as possible and I highly recommend growing your own, getting some chickens and meeting members connected to farmers markets etc to get the best foods available.

I don't have a problem with horsemeat, I know for a fact that I have eaten it when on holiday abroad and anyone who has had steak and chips while holidaying will almost certainly have. When you see a sign outside a bar and it says steak,chips and salad 5 euros, and you think, wow thats cheap, now you know why. It don't say beef steak and chips. My problem is what are they putting into our food here in this country. All these additives and preservatives all with names I cant pronounce, excessive amount of salt etc. This is a wake up call and now is a good time to demand better standards from the food industry.