Do you remember...? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Do you remember...?

Thinking today about what bonds people on this site, and what we all have in common, it's the many years of glory longing and hoping, and frustration, pain and suffering too. We support the greatest club in the world. You can change your name, address, country of residence, relationship, political views, philosophy of life, values, principles, favorite colour - but you never change your club.

So what if until the end of June we remember what we were doing at the time of six great and unforgettable Spurs moments. Where were we, who we were with, who was there, what was going on, and what it felt like.

I'll post a moment every Monday for the next 6 weeks, and feel free to join in with any great action, anecdotes and memories from around that time.

So what was going on for you, when this happened?

Here we go! Back to 22/01/08...
The Carling Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg v Arsenal at WHL, following a 1-1 draw in the 1st leg.

Hi paddy,

apologies I didn't respond to your private message, but thought I would say to anyone.everyone I didn't respond to, I'm grateful for the thought.

Great thread.!

This week's Spurs memory is really pushing it... maybe only Walt and Greavsie amongst us remember the closely-fought 1-0 victory in the 1921 FA Cup Final against a second-division Wolves... ?

The Spurs team that day was: Alex Hunter, Tommy Clay, Bob McDonald, Bert Smith, Charlie Walters, Arthur Grimsdell (c), Jimmy Banks, Jimmy Seed, Jimmy Cantrell, Bert Bliss and Jimmy Dimmock.

As you can see, if you were called Jimmy or Bert you were almost certain to get a game.

The game was played at Stamford Bridge (can see those big semi-circle type grass spaces behind each goal). In spite of an increase in the Cup Final admission price to keep down the numbers, the crowd was still large enough to spill on to the cinder track around the pitch.

Tottenham had great players at the time such as Seed, Grimsdell (captain) and the left-wing pairing of Bliss and Dimmock. Spurs were the artists, but the match was mostly memorable for three incidents: a thunderstorm that reduced the pitch to a quagmire from kick-off onwards; Dimmock's winning goal after 53 minutes; and Wolves' Brooks, just before the end, having his close-range shot brilliantly blocked by Spurs centre-half Walters.

The rain eventually stopped at the start of the second half, but just as Wolves began to show their worth, a piece of inspiration on the left from 20-year old winger Jimmy Dimmock was enough to win the trophy for Spurs. He picked up a pass from Bert Bliss, eluded two defenders who were close in, lost and regained possession, and then from twenty-five yards on the angle of the penalty area, he fired in a shot which zipped across the slippery surface and past a despairing Wolves keepers' dive and into the corner of the net.

All this, and Spurs starting the final in blue shorts and hoisting the cup two hours later with white shorts, can be seen in this wonderful historic 7-minute video.

I remember it clearly - reincarnation maybe? ha ha

Great film clip by the way.

Was that from the Pathe News Website?
There was Pathe footage for this match but it was only filmed outside the stadium. This footage is from The Topical Budget - who had 9 cameras there!

It's great to see Dimmock's goal which wasn't in the Pathe footage, some goals from this kind of era are faked by newsreels (like our 1901 final v Sheffield United, most of it is a Bury match) but here the build up and shot are clear.

The crowd was 72,803.