Do you remember...? | Vital Football

Do you remember...?

paddyspur

Vital Reserves Team
Thinking today about what bonds people on this site, and what we all have in common, it's the many years of glory longing and hoping, and frustration, pain and suffering too. We support the greatest club in the world. You can change your name, address, country of residence, relationship, political views, philosophy of life, values, principles, favorite colour - but you never change your club.

So what if until the end of June we remember what we were doing at the time of six great and unforgettable Spurs moments. Where were we, who we were with, who was there, what was going on, and what it felt like.

I'll post a moment every Monday for the next 6 weeks, and feel free to join in with any great action, anecdotes and memories from around that time.

So what was going on for you, when this happened?

Here we go! Back to 22/01/08...
The Carling Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg v Arsenal at WHL, following a 1-1 draw in the 1st leg.

i was lecturing in Barnet that evening and didn't get out until past 10pm. As soon as i did i called my mate who was a season ticket holder in the West Stand and asked him "What was the score?". Him "5-1". Me "oh FFS". Him "no, we WON"

I was still working then , can’t believe it’s that long ago . My job , as a contract manager in the construction industry meant I spent most of my day driving from one site to the another, anywhere from Brighton to London to Worthing, in a arc from the south coast . It was always a taboo for me to drink during the week as I just couldn’t afford to lose my licence .
. I know I watched it indoors and thought, what harm can one drink do as the third goal went in . I drove very very carefully the following day after celebrating to gone midnight . I must have stunk of alcohol wherever I went that day. Professional or what . Nobody was going to upset me though , had a permanent grin and all the bragging rights .
wonderful time . Didn’t take long for the dvd to come out did it . Dined out on that for years . Twelve years ago , ‘kin ‘ell

I seem to remember that the Arsenal team had mostly kids and reserves playing which took the edge off it for me but nevertheless less it was the precursor to our last win in any competition....22 years ago...zzzzz

For Week 2 of Do You Remember...? it's a classic smash-and-grab cup final victory for Spurs from 1972, the UEFA Cup Final 1st Leg against Wolves at Molyneux, having beaten AC Milan in the semis. It was the final of the first-ever UEFA Cup tournament, two legs played on 3 May & 17 May 1972.

The score here was 2-1 to Spurs, and the cup was won at White Hart Lane 2 weeks later when Alan Mullery scored first in the 1-1 draw for a 3-2 aggregate victory. Two great Spurs goals to enjoy here, and you can jump into the action around 6 mins if you don't have time to watch the whole thing.

Martin Chivers on the first leg: "It was strange for our wives because our wives were promised an all-expenses-paid away trip to the final if we ever reached it. So they started dreaming of Madrid, Paris and Rome; and where did we finish? They weren't enamoured to go to Wolverhampton, no."

I have to say, i don't remember watching this one. I'm certain i would have seen it on TV but just don't remember. Was it televised, or just the highlights?

Martin Chivers was an absolute brilliant player . Some of goals he scored ! Club and country . I think he is still an ambassador for the club ,
Pace , power , he was so difficult to stop .
I wasn’t at either game , for the life of me , I can’t remember why , it was a time i went everywhere , every week , no matter what . All the European games . Why I didn’t see either of the final I don’t know .Weird . I was twenty three at the time , not married , still single and doing whatever I wanted ., Don’t remember being ill.....
Any how , Brilliant memories , Paddy ....... , thanks !

Ha ha , just watched the video , adverts for Woolworths , Jennings
kicking upfield with both feet , the athleticism of the ref ! And , VAR would have ruled their goal out , it was a moving ball from the free kick!!!! Great stuff . Great thread .
Can’t wait for the second leg !
I think only the cup final was live back then

For Week 2 of Do You Remember...? it's a classic smash-and-grab cup final victory for Spurs from 1972, the UEFA Cup Final 1st Leg against Wolves at Molyneux, having beaten AC Milan in the semis. It was the final of the first-ever UEFA Cup tournament, two legs played on 3 May & 17 May 1972.

The score here was 2-1 to Spurs, and the cup was won at White Hart Lane 2 weeks later when Alan Mullery scored first in the 1-1 draw for a 3-2 aggregate victory. Two great Spurs goals to enjoy here, and you can jump into the action around 6 mins if you don't have time to watch the whole thing.

Martin Chivers on the first leg: "It was strange for our wives because our wives were promised an all-expenses-paid away trip to the final if we ever reached it. So they started dreaming of Madrid, Paris and Rome; and where did we finish? They weren't enamoured to go to Wolverhampton, no."

I have to say, i don't remember watching this one. I'm certain i would have seen it on TV but just don't remember. Was it televised, or just the highlights?

Great memories, Spurs had started to decline from the heady heights of the sixties, Gilly had lost Greavesie, but there were still some very good players in that team. In fact for me, the back five of Jennings, Kinnear, England, Beal and Knowles still rates as one of Spurs best ever defensive units. Interesting looking back on the substitutes for that match, Daines, Evans, Naylor, Pratt and Pierce, all good young players who never quite made it at Spurs in an era when big money signings were the order of the day.

Martin Chivers was an absolute brilliant player . Some of goals he scored ! Club and country . I think he is still an ambassador for the club ,
Pace , power , he was so difficult to stop .
I wasn’t at either game , for the life of me , I can’t remember why , it was a time i went everywhere , every week , no matter what . All the European games . Why I didn’t see either of the final I don’t know .Weird . I was twenty three at the time , not married , still single and doing whatever I wanted ., Don’t remember being ill.....
Any how , Brilliant memories , Paddy ....... , thanks !
maybe the ticket allocation was different? As it was a 'European final', first ever of the UEFA Cup? i (think i) remember listening to the second leg on my dad's black and silver radio in the dining room where i was meant to be doing homework (i was 15 - not free and doing whatever i wanted like you Walt!). Radio would suggest it wasn't on the TV (other than highlights). Nowadays Sky would be creaming about it for 5 days before.

An absolutely brilliant memory, I remember it very well, went to the return 2nd leg at WHL with my dear departed Grandad. a life long fan, as a gift for successfully passing out, and getting my coveted Beret, by the way I was 18, those were the days.

Keep the memories coming, you all still stay safe. COYS

maybe the ticket allocation was different? As it was a 'European final', first ever of the UEFA Cup? i (think i) remember listening to the second leg on my dad's black and silver radio in the dining room where i was meant to be doing homework (i was 15 - not free and doing whatever i wanted like you Walt!). Radio would suggest it wasn't on the TV (other than highlights). Nowadays Sky would be creaming about it for 5 days before.
The ticket allocation was first come , first served for home games . Turn up on Sunday morning and queue up around the outside of the ground . We mainly ,joined the queue around the corner of Paxton rd and the East stand . Queue was normally about ten deep , very civilised . The ticket office was acting place in what was named Bill Nicholson way outside the main entrance .