Do you(or have you had) any pets/animals? | Vital Football

Do you(or have you had) any pets/animals?

G

What do you have, or what have you had in the past?

Anyone have a dog that ate the fax machine?
Or a cat that got stuck in the guttering?

Im kinda against keeping animals as pets but im interested in hearing about your stories and memories of your favoured little friends.

We had a cat, small and lean and a mean mf.
Caught a full grown seagull once (bigger than the cat) , bought it home and sat outside with it just looking at you as if to say 'Yeah look the fuck what I can do'

Yeah, when I was a kid we always had a dog. One dog we had was a diabetic and needed an insulin injection in the back of her neck each day. She got so used to it, it seemed she was almost asking for it each day.

Does your tortoise like attention and being around people? Or does it prefer to be on its own.

No don't have animals anymore. Like our freedom too much. Animals are a tie and a vast cost in kennels when you go away. Plus Mr K is a dog lover. I am not. I am a cat lover. Mr K isn't. So we just tend to the birds in the garden instead with bird boxes, food and that sort of thing.

I had a budgie as a child. It died as it choked on it's sandpaper. When I left the ex I had 4 cats I couldn't take with me. He got rid of them and not in a good way. When I found out I couldn't believe it. Having said that I don't know why I was shocked considering the way he treated us and the reason we left, finally.

I swore no more animals after that. Kept to it for reasons mainly as I said.

First pet was a tortoise. He died within 2 days. It wasn't a successful time!

We then had a gerbil and then a cat. I formed allergies to cats when we moved house/I had german measles and that was the end of having cats.

Had several big aquariums but got board of all the upkeep finally and now have none.

Tried to get a dog last year but the allergies to the lovely little fella were too much.

So no, I've not got any pets, thanks for reminding me about my sad, empty, hollow life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Fear - 3/10/2013 08:28

First pet was a tortoise. He died within 2 days. It wasn't a successful time!

I thought tortoises lived til a hundred and something? Are you that much of a nightmare to live with?

lol, we were little kiddies but the trade in them was pretty bad back then I think, hence they were banned at one stage from being sold.

When I was growing up we always had rottweiller dogs. From my experience they are the most docile and friendly dogs. They have had far too much bad press over the years because of bad owners. We also had 2 parrots which my parents have still got. I bought my first pet rat home when I was 14. My mom cant stand Rats so I told her it was a hamster and kept it in my room for 2 days until she realised and I had to get rid of it. I'm not sure why anyone who dont mind hamsters would hate rats. They make wonderful pets. They are very intelligent, clean and far more interesting and sociable than hamsters. Since I left home I have kept rats and also we got a cat. Not had any more rats since the last one died a few years ago. When we first got the cat she was shit scared of the rats used to have them out together and the cat was interested in them but when one of them went anywhere near the cat she legged it. Not sure she would be as scared of them anymore though

We have a rough collie named Rafferty. He is my sanctuary from the madness, in contradiction to kefkat believing them to be a tie, he is my release. Weather it's a day out with the entire family to kings bury water park, or just me taking him for a 10 minute walk around the block, he provides an opportunity to take some time out, stretch the legs, have a think and generally get away from the hustle and bustle of life for a bit.
I also strongly believe the findings that dogs and humans release a hormone in each other when together that make you feel relaxed and better (hence why they use dogs in hospice, pensioners homes, hospital etc.. Visits. The give off some sort of endorphins.

Have a Staffie called Duke he is 12 now but by god i luv him to bits lol his charachtor is funny he waits for my dad to clean the yard and tidy the flowerbeds and as soon as he is done Duke strolls over and shats right where my dad was LOL

Oh yeah I forgot about the fish I had. I used to have 2 fish they were were about 5-6" long living in a pond in my back garden but I lost them. They left home and never came back. Not a clue where they went!

I eventually emptied the pond and filled it in. When emptying it I found a 3lb mirror carp in there and about 6 roach. I have no idea how they got there! They must have moved in when the gold fish moved out!

We moved into our house in 89 and after a couple of weeks a girl was walking past with some pups and said she was taking them to the dog`s home,when my girlfriend (now wife) saw her and asked if we could have one of the pups.We had one.
She was fantastic.
A black cross collie with something.The girl taking them to the dog`s home didn`t know too much.We didn`t pay her for the dog.
We never took any insurance out on her and she never cost me a penny and gave us some fantastic fun times.She became protective of the kids when they came along and was a real friend.
When she was about 11 (2000 ish )she had some lumps which cost me £500 to get removed,then 6 weeks later they came back and i had no choice but to have her put down for another £80.
It was a fortune to me in those days,but i`d have happily paid another £500 to keep her alive,
When i took her down the Newton Rd to have her put down,i went in the Newton pub(Aspbury tavern or whatever it was called back then) for a beer and i felt like i`d just put down a family member.It broke my heart.
Not had a pet since.