Do you give money to beggars? | Vital Football

Do you give money to beggars?

G

The Amazing story of Dobri Dobrev.

98 year old Dobri Dobrev, a man who lost most of his hearing in the second world war, has travelled 25 kilometers every day for decades from his village in his home made clothes and leather shoes to the city of Sofia - a trip he made by foot until recently - where he spends the day begging for money. Though a well recognized fixture around several of the city’s churches, known for his prostrations of thanks to all donors, it was only recently discovered that he has donated every penny he has collected — over 40,000 Euros (~ $52,000) — towards the restoration of decaying Bulgarian monasteries and churches and the utility bills of orphanages.

http://awkwardsituationist.tumblr.com/post/50604116393/98-year-old-dobri-dobrev-a-man-who-lost-most-of

Well I'm certainly not travelling to Bulgaria to give to a beggar, even if he has done a sterling job

Yes i do and have many a time, why? Because im from a hard up family and council estate and appreciate what its like to not have much and struggle, those of us who have been through this in life can relate to a ''genuine'' person asking for help, i would help anybody in need if i could do anything my belief is we all have a respinsibility to help those in need rather than think ''im alright and got my latest iphone and new care ha'' no COS IF WE ALL THOUGHT LIKE THIS THE WORLD WILL ONLY GET CRUEL AND HARDER HUMANS SHOULD HELP PEOPLE IN NEED.

(Wether or not these beggers are really in need is a different question altogether when you read that some pretend to be hard up and make a living of it)

Yes I do from time to time, though if it's near a shop I will normally buy them a sandwich or like. I also buy the Big Issue.

People will say but they are 'druggies' Maybe so however they are regularly tested to ensure they are clean plus they are at least trying to earn some money legally

I try not to but I am open to buying The Big Issue every so often and have more than once given food. I'm not an openhearted giver unlike Mrs BBJ. Our house (in Dublin, that is, we don't get too many unexpected visitors here in Chorley) is well known by travellers as a place where they'll get a positive reception and a donation of food, clothes and/or a few bob.

I used to. I then spoke to a lad, son of a Lloyd's bank manager, who was a student in London. Art if I remember right, so he grew his hair in dreads etc... He used to go begging as he looked scruffy enough. Got a lot of money, bought drugs. Then would be back at uni all week. I had a stand up row with the punk, he had grown up doing martial arts and I remember telling him every word his instructors had said were obviously lost on him.

I think there are better ways for my money to be used to help those who need it however I would buy someone a hot cuppa or a sarnie if the weather was bad. I'd not give money.

I think the big issue has lost its way, so don't buy them. Romanian looking women sells it in redditch, she's done it for about five years or more, when she isn't there, a lady that looks like a sister takes her place.

It was meant to be a step up, not a living wasn't it?

I could be persuaded otherwise if I am in error there, also had an aggressive encounter along with my business partner in London where a seller had a go at us, telling us it was ok for ' people like us'

What, a guy who has had 11major ops, nearly died twice, is in constant pain and constantly disappointed by the limitations, but still gets off his arse to work for a living. Ok then!

So no, I've given up on that thing as well.

I do give a percentage of my earnings which is my choice, but it goes where I believe it will help.

I also think that guy begging to fund a passion of his, although in some ways interesting and inspirational, is actually in error conning people.

They must be giving thinking they are helping him, they should have the choice if they want to be giving for his chosen charity/issue/ concern as they might feel their money should go to another pressing issue or charity.

Working in Middlesborough on nights once there was a tramp who used to sleep in this factory outlets doorway on this trading estate and I got talking to him nice lad.Anyway the next night I took him a big chunk of space cake explaining to him what it was excellent he said.The next night I said was it any good for you he said it was brilliant but he said it was that good I slept in and missed my Big Issue's when I had stopped pissing myself I felt guilty and give him a tenner.

A friend of mine would offer to buy them food which I thought was nice. I once gave 20 quid to a beggar who then waltzed into the shop I work in and bought an item that was not needed by a homeless man and I was fuming so I don't give money to beggars any more.

The most popular trick around my way is to say they need the money for a bus ride and then spend it on drink or drugs. Don't get me wrong, if I was homeless then I would probably spend the money on drink or drugs but I am not going to be party to it that's for sure.

I don't no. Firstly, i'm always skint. Secondly, one asked me once for money for '' food'', i offered to go buy some food then as i wouldn't just hand over the money, he told me to '' eff off''. Classy! After that, don't give them the time of day.

gator - 12/10/2013 17:06

Working in Middlesborough on nights once there was a tramp who used to sleep in this factory outlets doorway on this trading estate and I got talking to him nice lad.Anyway the next night I took him a big chunk of space cake explaining to him what it was excellent he said.The next night I said was it any good for you he said it was brilliant but he said it was that good I slept in and missed my Big Issue's when I had stopped pissing myself I felt guilty and give him a tenner.

:1: :1:

No. Last time I have a beggar some money he kicked off because it was "only 20p"

Besides most of them sit around expected to get money, I bought the big issue once and unfortunately I didn't enjoy it that much but I appreciate the fact they are trying to turn their life around and make a positive contribution