Do our Expectations Need a Reality Check | Vital Football

Do our Expectations Need a Reality Check

hulloutpost

Vital Champions League
As signing speculation goes into full feeding frenzy do we need to take a step back and objectively assess where we sit in the pyramid of League 2. I read a lot of material that suggests we should just be able to turn up and sign who we want, no problem. Realistically there are teams from higher divisions, better placed geographically and paying better wages than us competing for many of the same players. Whilst our budget is competitive for the division I dare say that Mansfield, Notts, Swindon, Plastic Green and Franchise can blow us out the water and several teams like Northampton, Cambridge and Port Vale will at least be on a par. The feel good factor and Cowley effect can offset that to a degree but I do feel we need to maintain a collective sense of realism and patience.

I never have any expectations at all but it's always good fun speculate and have a gossip about it that's the one of the joys of being a football fan.

Like MaineRoad_96 I have supported the Imps 30+ years but funnily enough my sense of dread has actually disappeared to a large extent and I just trust that Danny and Nicky will actually get the best they can and I really feel that we will over the next 2 or 3 years make forward progress.

In essence DC and NC have put aside the doom and gloom City supporter in me :grinning:

Initially we heard from DC that we would be largely targeting young hungry players. I believe we have moved away from that to some extent as we went for quite a few experienced players in season two. Interestingly most of those players having had exposure to higher level football - hopefully to bring known quality and experience into the club (Freck, Eardley, Bossie, Green). Personally I think the value for younger players will continue to come from lower level (Andrade) and loanees at Prem/Championship clubs. I don't think we can just yet realistically expect to compete for highly promising or in their prime proven strikers in particular. That is where the vision or Cowley effect will really be needed; to get for example somebody like Lyle Taylor over the line.

DC's choices have often been based on prior working knowledge (Woodyard, Knott etc), but those players are now drying up.

It will be very interesting to see how our squad develops when that inside knowledge is largely removed.

Expectations always need moderation with respect to LCFC.

We're in a new phase of the club's history in some respects, but we don't really know where that leads. Perhaps we'll become a regular L1 team at some point with decent crowds. Maybe we'll get stuck in L2 again and the crowds gradually dwindle, but are still higher than 2000 core fans.

We just don't know. It's an exciting time to be an Imp, but as the Chinese say, we are living in "Interesting times".

Yes as Danny dampening down some expectations in the Lincolnshire papers today. We can not compete financially with Notts Co for example and have to be more canny.

We can not compete financially with Notts Co for example and have to be more canny.

I suspect that this is not exactly the case. I think it's more of a case that we choose not to compete financially for players like Dennis. You cannot keep building a house of cards (running at a loss) as it will eventually keep falling down. I think our model of steady sustainable forward movement is the way to go.

You cannot really on even the most affluent sugar daddy because eventually it will come home to roost. Look it's even happening at Chelsea as their stadium is now on hold at the whim of one person. But look at Spurs they keep steadily building and building!

Yet I feel the city and area could support a league 1 team so that’s what we should be aiming for in the near future.
In the short term yes to an extent though, we should temper our expectations. If the club is signing young unproven talent and building a team then to expect a team that is competing for the title is too much. However if we’re signing older proven heads such as Freck and Bozzy then maybe those expectations aren’t too much.
I do feel league 1 is not far away, and as long as we don’t lose our heads if things turn against us when we get there, the support and club should be able to support the team in that league.

Realistically - in league terms - we are only back to where we were under Alexander and schofield. Behind the scenes and in terms of crowds and momentum we are way ahead of those times... it is going to be very interesting to see if it is enough to push on this time,

In my 53rd year of supporting the Mighty Imps my expectations have always been...... constrained, finite, curbed, restrained.........until now and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
An example of how I have changed is the loss at Port Vale a few weeks ago. For the last 46 years or so( we've had some good times!) , when we lost I was ready for it , mentally prepared, as for most of my 53 seasons I was expecting to lose more than I expected to win, and often thought a draw was a really good result (which of course it can be!)
But coming away from Vale Park I was really pissed off and grumpy for several hours ( my 2 friends I was giving a lift too could coroberate this).
However, this is of course a good thing and in fact makes the build up to games, the game itself and the waking up Sunday morning to see the football results and how the table has been affected (good or bad) even better.
So yes my expectations are greater and I'm loving it!

In my 53rd year of supporting the Mighty Imps my expectations have always been...... constrained, finite, curbed, restrained.........until now and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
An example of how I have changed is the loss at Port Vale a few weeks ago. For the last 46 years or so( we've had some good times!) , when we lost I was ready for it , mentally prepared, as for most of my 53 seasons I was expecting to lose more than I expected to win, and often thought a draw was a really good result (which of course it can be!)
But coming away from Vale Park I was really pissed off and grumpy for several hours ( my 2 friends I was giving a lift too could coroberate this).
However, this is of course a good thing and in fact makes the build up to games, the game itself and the waking up Sunday morning to see the football results and how the table has been affected (good or bad) even better.
So yes my expectations are greater and I'm loving it!
Likewise!im loving it to!

I can go back a few more years. I don't ever remember having expectations. In those days we had hopes. Somehow, we hoped the four or five new men would make a difference. By mid October, it was clear that they wouldn't, and another season of mid-table obscurity - at best - was on the way.

Will be able to provide some stats for next season from the entries to the where will the finish comp.

While we’re all loving it etc., I do feel like this coming season is the one where I *think* we will do well, which feels a bit dangerous. Would not have had a prayer of even believing what we did in 16/17 prior to the season and for a first season back in the league I think expectations were naturally tempered. We did very well and I don’t think we were far off.

Going into another season with a likely competitive budget and the Cowleys having a year of league experience I feel like a lot of predictions will have us near the top 3. Having been at Concord, Braintree and picking city up when we were on our knees as a club... is this the first season that (externally at least) there might actually be big expectations of success?

Any team at ths level needs a mixture of experienced players and young hungry players. I think Danny will aim for a squad of that sort of make up. I think Andrade is a very exciting signing and expect Danny to bring in some more of his type into the club.Regarding the budget we have to remember 1.3 millionis being spent on the new training facilities is a huge chunck to take out. But I really have a good feeling about the upcoming season and cannot wait to get started again.

My expectations in 31 seasons have always been the same. Once the season starts and we find ourselves seemingly not looking like the promotion contenders I envisaged in the summer I become content with a late play off push (at best).
I am ever the optimist and rightly or wrongly always go with my heart. Although in the conference years I tempered that somewhat and was pleased not to end up in the Conference North.
Never saw 16/17 coming for decades.
Last season though, my heart said top 3; my head said mid table.
This coming season it really feels like we have a great chance of automatic. But unlike DC suggesting his teams get stronger as the season moves on, I think we need a good start and a larger squad (for 2nd half of season).
We should always stay sustainable though. Never throwing money at alleged top players. Not the Lincoln way and don't want it to be. DC will ensure this. He will make the canny signings and unearth the gems without spending big.
I've always loved the underdog tag. The working on a tight budget, but finding a way. Now we actually have a decent playing budget and with a great management team, training ground and big crowd we could attract better players like Andrade.
So, realism and caution in the transfer market, but massive optimism for our chances.

DC's choices have often been based on prior working knowledge (Woodyard, Knott etc), but those players are now drying up.

It will be very interesting to see how our squad develops when that inside knowledge is largely removed.
Which I think was the correct way to go.

Stick with what you know, bring in some experience who generally offer you consistency, gain an understanding of the league yourself and then work from that platform the following season.

You'd not want to be bringing in lots of younger players the season just gone (like FGR seemed to do).