Do as you are told UK | Page 2 | Vital Football

Do as you are told UK

david-avfc - 20/1/2014 16:50

The UK has high labour costs, high land value (incentive to sell up and move to cheaper land abroad), and then if there are increased exporting costs and restrictions on trade from not being in the EU then why any large multinational company bother with production in the UK? It's not about Ford telling the UK what to do or blackmail, they are just being realistic and explaining their position, which is the same as most other exporters in the UK...

the cheaper land option is irrelevant to whether the UK remains in the EU. If things are available cheaper abroad then that is where the manufacturers will go and where the consumers will purchase from.
However, on the flip side, if import and export costs are raised then there is an incentive to maintain production within the uk, even if it is downsized to only cater for the UK market.

Australia currently has a problem with high costs due to importing many goods. The impact of this is that because there is a consumer market there - businesses are investing in Australia. The same would happen in the UK.

We could, and should, take advantage of the ever strengthening commonwealth and create our own trade agreements elsewhere. Who needs such one sided against us european links, when we can negotiate fair trade agreements with much stronger and growing economies within the commonwealth and with emerging countries?

david-avfc - 20/1/2014 16:35

I think leaving the EU is a bit of a stupid idea because of the economical consequences, that people who want to leave the EU either don't or don't want to understand.

Whether politicians like Farage actually think leaving the EU is a good idea or if they are just trying to play up to anti immigration voters to get into power is the real question

What are those economic consequences? Why don't you educate ignorant simpletons like myself about what the EU does for Britain and why nobody will trade with us if we leave.

Don't forget to include Norway and Switzerlands demise due to not joining the union.

Why not do both and really cement economic recovery? Why just one or the other?

Caveat being the power of Brussels does need to be rolled back and I think other member states are also realising this, or at least their citizens are and if the citizens realise it the politicians have to, at some stage follow.

James, my point is that there are good reasons from a business point of view to move production out of the UK (or not invest to start with), and if the UK left the EU that would just be another reason to either not invest in production in the UK and/or moving production out of the UK. A company looking to invest in Europe if we left the EU would think there are no benefits of investing in the UK so they wouldn't bother investing. This would affect the economy quite badly.

david-avfc - 20/1/2014 16:58

thefacehead - 20/1/2014 16:51

The Fear - 20/1/2014 16:46

No, they won't, but it would be cheaper for them to re locate their factories.

That is just economic fact. They do what is best for their bottom line, their shareholders and as a business so they should.

And they don't do that already? They won't continue to do that regardless of where our political stance is?

They are looking after their interests, fine, but if it's in our countries best interests to leave then surely you'd agree we should.

But it's not in the countries best interests, that's the point Ford are trying to make. Why make the country's economy, employees and firms all over the UK suffer because you don't want someone from Poland or Romania taking 'all the jobs' that are 'beneath' you anyway.

Whoa, whoa, whoa there a minute matey, when did you become economic mastermind 2014? And how f***ing dare you say I don't want this and that before I even get onto a subject, you're well out of line there boy!!!

Ford know it will be bad for them, therefore they don't want us to leave the EU, that doesn't mean it will be bad for us.

Did you know that to keep to our EU directive for greener emissions, cars will have to drive for miles on motorways at top speeds of 60 mph just to keep the EU happy? And for what? Saving the planet are we? While China build 2 power stations every week.

Bikini Inspector - 20/1/2014 17:06

I think leaving the EU is a bit of a stupid idea because of the economical consequences, that people who want to leave the EU either don't or don't want to understand.

Whether politicians like Farage actually think leaving the EU is a good idea or if they are just trying to play up to anti immigration voters to get into power is the real question

What are those economic consequences? Why don't you educate ignorant simpletons like myself about what the EU does for Britain
and why nobody will trade with us if we leave.

Don't forget to include Norway and Switzerlands demise due to not joining the union.

Reduced foreign investment, relocations, lower production -> reduced jobs, reduced taxation revenue, susceptible to global price changes, reliant on imports, higher prices for imports, balance of payments in deficit= more sovereign debt, reduced GDP -> recession -> loss of confidence - reduced spending -> more job losses, less investment, shit for everyone.

david-avfc - 20/1/2014 17:14

What are those economic consequences? Why don't you educate ignorant simpletons like myself about what the EU does for Britain

Reduced foreign investment, relocations, lower production -> reduced jobs, reduced taxation revenue, susceptible to global price changes, reliant on imports, higher prices for imports, balance of payments in deficit= more sovereign debt, reduced GDP -> recession -> loss of confidence - reduced spending -> more job losses, less investment, shit for everyone.

Where did you read that? The Guardian?

No evidence at all for any of that. Some of them are just laughable.

Norway has the highest GDP per capita in Europe. Guess what? They are not a member state of the EU. Same goes for Switzerland.

This woeful idea that if we left the EU nobody would trade with us, or we would just give up and not bother trading with anyone else is nonsense.

For someone who said I do not understand the issue you seem completely oblivious to the amount of money we pump in and the amount of red tape we are being strangled by.

I won't bother to mention the money we have wasted on eu bailouts or the amount of laws that are taken out of our hands.

thefacehead - 20/1/2014 17:17

Where did you read that? The Guardian?

No, from my basic understanding of economics. If I am wrong let me know because I'm not trying to claim I know more than everyone else sorry if it's come across that way, but I think there would be less investment in the UK if we left the EU. Maybe my analysis is a bit generalised but it's just a simplistic view of what I think will happen if we left the EU.

david-avfc - 20/1/2014 17:28

just a simplistic view of what I think will happen if we left the EU.

What you think will happen, well that's it settled then, we're staying in boys!!

Juan Mourep - 19/1/2014 18:03

Oh so it's blackmail, that's illegal for the everyman, but corporations can get away with that as easily as they get away without paying tax it would seem.

Just because that's how they roll doesn't mean we have to accept it.

Corporations and banks can do things people cant do, the world of illegal activities...

HSBC laundering drug money for Mexican cartels? Slap on the wrist fine but you'll be put away from that shit...

I dont put enough effort into avoiding the companies who exploit but at least Iv nothing to do with them...

I don't understand the need for sarcasm towards other people's views in this thread chaps, it could be an interesting debate.

I tell you what, if you lot vote for us to leave and the price of my BMW goes up, I will up all of your subscription fees. (Don't worry David, yours stays at. £50 a month mate)

I have worked for italian, german, and finnish companies. The one thing they all have in common is that they need a subsidary in the UK.

They dont of course need to invest in every country in Europe, a centre in italy serves southern europe, a centre in germany serves central europe etc... but the UK always maintains it's own hub. Regardless of whether we are officially in europe or not, this will always be the case: keeping jobs and investment relatively secure.

The Fear - 20/1/2014 19:37

I don't understand the need for sarcasm towards other people's views in this thread chaps, it could be an interesting debate.

I am sorry, but David tried put words in my mouth so he started it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :17:

I think it's time we had a proper debate about the pros and cons of leaving the EU.

thefacehead - 21/1/2014 09:38

I am sorry, but David tried put words in my mouth so he started it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :17:

I think it's time we had a proper debate about the pros and cons of leaving the EU.

When did I try to put words in your mouth? What are you on about... just because my opinion is different to yours.

david-avfc - 21/1/2014 10:45

When did I try to put words in your mouth? What are you on about... just because my opinion is different to yours.

Your words here while coming back at me directly -

"But it's not in the countries best interests, that's the point Ford are trying to make. Why make the country's economy, employees and firms all over the UK suffer because you don't want someone from Poland or Romania taking 'all the jobs' that are 'beneath' you anyway."

So I think you will find you were putting my 'opinions' up before I had even said anything, saying that, quote - "you don't want someone from Poland or Romania taking 'all the jobs' that are 'beneath' you anyway"

Little bit jumped up there mate, considering I never, ever, said any of that, and you start writing it with little quote marks as if they are my opinion, you should not be doing that thank you David, because it's basically putting words in my mouth that weren't said, or insinuating opinion without evidence so please don't do it again.

thefacehead - 21/1/2014 12:44

david-avfc - 21/1/2014 10:45

Your words here while coming back at me directly -

"But it's not in the countries best interests, that's the point Ford are trying to make. Why make the country's economy, employees and firms all over the UK suffer because you don't want someone from Poland or Romania taking 'all the jobs' that are 'beneath' you anyway."

So I think you will find you were putting my 'opinions' up before I had even said anything, saying that, quote - "you don't want someone from Poland or Romania taking 'all the jobs' that are 'beneath' you anyway"

Little bit jumped up there mate, considering I never, ever, said any of that, and you start writing it with little quote marks as if they are my opinion, you should not be doing that thank you David, because it's basically putting words in my mouth that weren't said, or insinuating opinion without evidence so please don't do it again.

Haha check out the hissy fit!! Someones a bit sensitive.

blackwood_villa - 21/1/2014 14:28

Haha check out the hissy fit!! Someones a bit sensitive.

Not a hissy fit mate, just won't stand someone talking rubbish that's all.

What's it gotta do with you anyway :13: :13: :13: :13: :13: