Do as you are told UK | Vital Football

Do as you are told UK

Juan Mourep

Vital 1st Team Regular
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/15/ford-cars-eu_n_4602115.html

Car Giant Ford Warns Britain Not To Leave European Union

Ford has urged the country to stay in the European Union, warning that a British exit would be "cutting its nose off to spite its face” and could force the firm to scale back its investment in the country.

The car giant's intervention echoed similar warnings from Honda and Nissan, which urged the country to stay part of the political bloc. Ford employs nearly 15,000 people in Britain and assembles a third of its engines at plants in Bridgend and Dagenham.

Steve Odell, chief executive of Ford's European operations, told the Daily Telegraph that a British exit "cannot make any sense", adding: “Yes, there are absolutely some rules and regulations, in the minutiae, that are difficult to take, particularly if you’re from Britain, which was, after all, this island state for years … but I don’t think that’s a reason to turn your back on your largest trading partner.

If our relationship was only as trading partners he would have a point, but we pay a fortune into Europe, and I stand to be corrected, but I believe we pay in more than anyone else.

Only good thing about that is Farage's head will have just exploded.

Bad thing I bet he will be on the next QT now!!

I can understand what hey are saying and why though. No, we don't want corps telling us what to do, however, in an ever globalising world, there are dangers to jobs if we constrict and go it alone, as the old barrierst I trade would no doubt be restored and exporting in Europe, our largest trading market, would be hit.

Oh so it's blackmail, that's illegal for the everyman, but corporations can get away with that as easily as they get away without paying tax it would seem.

Just because that's how they roll doesn't mean we have to accept it.

Blackmail or business?

They create jobs here, they chose the Uk as part of its corporation because it was in the union.

If we choose to leave the union, our choice (well, not really, we don't actually live in that democratic a country!) not theirs. But if they then have increased production costs, it's not unreasonable to expect them to look if there are cheaper alternatives.

The British would then also, obviously, have the same choice to buy or not buy their products.

Leave uk and we don't buy your motors.

Works both ways.

We did pride, and why should the costs of dealing go up or down depending on who your mates are? It's control of markets between the governments, corporations and the banks we are talking about here, I believe that's illegal isn't it? Well it would be if any of us tried it.

Yup. But the technical barriers to trade existed then, they don't now because of this union, the one that is going way too far, it was meant to be a trading union, that was a good idea.

So the position of Ford now will differ to the position it would have held in the 70's. Things changed.

Try to keep up folks!!!

I'm so interesting this was my thesis at uni. Used to send the women wild when I started telling them all about, they practically fell into my arms.

Boredom related coma's can be such depressing things.

The EU should not be telling us what to do that concern the general public of Great Britain, its totally a farce and a scandal, making us pay foreigners benefits i would luv to go to Spain oh no wait make that Crete and just turn up no job and get a roof over my head and money, sitting all day on a beach would be sweet lol, but in all seriousness no other countries would support us uk citizens for free and house us so why should we?

Just another reason to leave the EU. British jobs are at the mercy of prats like this who decide to play games with peoples lively hoods.

I think leaving the EU is a bit of a stupid idea because of the economical consequences, that people who want to leave the EU either don't or don't want to understand.

Whether politicians like Farage actually think leaving the EU is a good idea or if they are just trying to play up to anti immigration voters to get into power is the real question

Call their bluff I say. The yanks would do well to keep us onside.

Ford's biggest customer in europe has to be the UK doesnt it? Most of the continent stay loyal to their own manufacturers as I see it, because luckily for them they still have some!

Ford have already closed one of three sites in the UK, showing that they couldnt give a monkeys either way. Their euro HQ is in germany so this threat could be based on pressure fromt he germans.

Whatever the case, we shouldnt be dictated to by anyone.

They aren't dictating. They are just saying how their strategy would refocus.

It is a reasonable position.

These companies won't stop trading with us if we aren't in the EU FFS, talking about cutting your nose off to spite your face they say........

No, they won't, but it would be cheaper for them to re locate their factories.

That is just economic fact. They do what is best for their bottom line, their shareholders and as a business so they should.

The biggest cost surely (or certainly one of them) would be currency exchange and banking fees. This already takes place and they've lived with it thus far.

The UK has high labour costs, high land value (incentive to sell up and move to cheaper land abroad), and then if there are increased exporting costs and restrictions on trade from not being in the EU then why any large multinational company bother with production in the UK? It's not about Ford telling the UK what to do or blackmail, they are just being realistic and explaining their position, which is the same as most other exporters in the UK...

The Fear - 20/1/2014 16:46

That is just economic fact. They do what is best for their bottom line, their shareholders and as a business so they should.

And they don't do that already? They won't continue to do that regardless of where our political stance is?

They are looking after their interests, fine, but if it's in our countries best interests to leave then surely you'd agree we should.

david-avfc - 20/1/2014 16:50

The UK has high labour costs, high land value (incentive to sell up and move to cheaper land abroad), and then if there are increased exporting costs and restrictions on trade from not being in the EU then why any large multinational company bother with production in the UK? It's not about Ford telling the UK what to do or blackmail, they are just being realistic and explaining their position, which is the same as most other exporters in the UK...

They will relocate all of their factories if it suits them financially, they are a business and we run, or try, to run our country the same, if the financial benefits are there then we should leave the EU, not saying they are or aren't, that's another topic.

Let them do it, Ford are a disgrace to humanity, this isn't the 1st time Ford have shown themselves for the evil scum they are, I remeber reading that Ford were a major funder of Adolf Hitler and his ideals, looks like they still think the same as back then.

thefacehead - 20/1/2014 16:51

And they don't do that already? They won't continue to do that regardless of where our political stance is?

They are looking after their interests, fine, but if it's in our countries best interests to leave then surely you'd agree we should.

But it's not in the countries best interests, that's the point Ford are trying to make. Why make the country's economy, employees and firms all over the UK suffer because you don't want someone from Poland or Romania taking 'all the jobs' that are 'beneath' you anyway.