Do as you are told UK | Page 3 | Vital Football

Do as you are told UK

Juan Mourep - 19/1/2014 17:42

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/15/ford-cars-eu_n_4602115.html

Car Giant Ford Warns Britain Not To Leave European Union

Ford has urged the country to stay in the European Union, warning that a British exit would be "cutting its nose off to spite its face” and could force the firm to scale back its investment in the country.

The car giant's intervention echoed similar warnings from Honda and Nissan, which urged the country to stay part of the political bloc. Ford employs nearly 15,000 people in Britain and assembles a third of its engines at plants in Bridgend and Dagenham.

Steve Odell, chief executive of Ford's European operations, told the Daily Telegraph that a British exit "cannot make any sense", adding: “Yes, there are absolutely some rules and regulations, in the minutiae, that are difficult to take, particularly if you’re from Britain, which was, after all, this island state for years … but I don’t think that’s a reason to turn your back on your largest trading partner.

If our relationship was only as trading partners he would have a point, but we pay a fortune into Europe, and I stand to be corrected, but I believe we pay in more than anyone else.

So we should forgo self determination and democracy so Ford can make bigger profits?

Juan Mourep - 19/1/2014 18:42

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/15/ford-cars-eu_n_4602115.html

Car Giant Ford Warns Britain Not To Leave European Union

Ford has urged the country to stay in the European Union, warning that a British exit would be "cutting its nose off to spite its face” and could force the firm to scale back its investment in the country.

The car giant's intervention echoed similar warnings from Honda and Nissan, which urged the country to stay part of the political bloc. Ford employs nearly 15,000 people in Britain and assembles a third of its engines at plants in Bridgend and Dagenham.

Steve Odell, chief executive of Ford's European operations, told the Daily Telegraph that a British exit "cannot make any sense", adding: “Yes, there are absolutely some rules and regulations, in the minutiae, that are difficult to take, particularly if you’re from Britain, which was, after all, this island state for years … but I don’t think that’s a reason to turn your back on your largest trading partner.

If our relationship was only as trading partners he would have a point, but we pay a fortune into Europe, and I stand to be corrected, but I believe we pay in more than anyone else.

I believe yhe UK is the second biggest contributor to EU funds, behind Germany.

So according to you I'm putting words in your mouth because I said it's not in the countries best interests to leave the EU... That's just you getting arsey because you don't agree with someone else's opinion.

david-avfc - 21/1/2014 18:38

So according to you I'm putting words in your mouth because I said it's not in the countries best interests to leave the EU... That's just you getting arsey because you don't agree with someone else's opinion.

Mate, I have explained my point, if you look I have explained it, don't be so ignorant. I don't ever agree with you so that doesn't bother me, I am not typing it out yet again, choose to ignore it all you like, but it's written, you said it not me, I won't bother to speak to you again if you can't see why you were in the wrong.

david-avfc - 20/1/2014 17:50

The UK has high labour costs, high land value (incentive to sell up and move to cheaper land abroad), and then if there are increased exporting costs and restrictions on trade from not being in the EU then why any large multinational company bother with production in the UK? It's not about Ford telling the UK what to do or blackmail, they are just being realistic and explaining their position, which is the same as most other exporters in the UK...

UK costs are lower than German and yet Ford keep their European head ofgice and a large amount of production there. Any withdraw from the EU can be structured to avoid incurring extra costs, the isdue is about import taxes that the EU might impose on UK goods so this is not about real costs but market protectionism.