Discipline | Vital Football

Discipline

Bluedub

Alert Team
Just been looking at this

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/suspensions/clubdiscipline?league=74&club=10536164

Otter is just one yellow away from suspension and Fernandinho is two away. Looking at our upcoming fixtures my fear is one or both being suspended for the derby. The league cup game against Leicester is the one where a suspension for either would least impact us.

Also interesting to note that not only are we playing the best football in the land and all the world, we're also the dirtiest team. In the Premier League. :018:

I have noticed recently when watching our games I've winced more frequently at some of our tackling, so it doesn't surprise me.

It surprises me, fair enough we're no shrinking violets and we are guilty of some cynical fouling to stop counters but when you see we have double the cautions that Tottenham and Arsenal have and when you consider some of the sides that have a more physical approach like West Brom, Burnley or the rags it raises eyebrows.

I do think that given the speed with which we press to try and regain the ball that this may play a part in committing more fouls........but I also think that consstency is a big issue with opponents such as WBA and recently Wolves being offered greater latitude in respect of fouls which did/did not attract bookings. It's as if "well, City's opponents don't have the ball as much so we'll give them a little leeway as they have to try harder to get it back".

good point about both Otamendi & Fernandinho's proximity to a suspension. We will need them for the derby.

I looked at this issue and the FA website a couple of weeks ago to see where we were.
At that stage we didn't have anyone close, obviously that's now changed.

The frustration, as has been pointed out before, is that yellows can't be appealed. However, I've got to say that most of the games I've seen live or on TV I haven't had an issue with the decision.

My issue lies with consistency more than anything.

For example, Walker got a yellow for kicking the ball away against West Brom but Gibbs didn't get booked for the exact same thing.

Jesus got booked for a show of dissent yet the Polish lad playing midfield for West Brom didn't get booked for the exact same thing.

Spurs and Arsenal’s low tally surprise me too because they both play high defensive lines that are susceptible to counter attacks, perhaps they don't put that cynical type tackle in when being countered, I haven't watched them enough to say one way or the other tbf.

Bluedub - 3/11/2017 16:12

My issue lies with consistency more than anything.

For example, Walker got a yellow for kicking the ball away against West Brom but Gibbs didn't get booked for the exact same thing.

Jesus got booked for a show of dissent yet the Polish lad playing midfield for West Brom didn't get booked for the exact same thing.

Spurs and Arsenal’s low tally surprise me too because they both play high defensive lines that are susceptible to counter attacks, perhaps they don't put that cynical type tackle in when being countered, I haven't watched them enough to say one way or the other tbf.

Consistency within a particular game....twas ever thus.

Could be. Said to be nearly ready to return. At least Otamendi has gotten it out of the way before the derby

Fernandinho now one away after picking up a booking yesterday. Could do with him getting that against Southampton so that he's banned for the Hammers and fresh for the derby.

Meanwhile I see the Fail running a story today on a potential 3 game ban for Lukaku after he swung two kicks at Brighton defender Bong on Saturday. I didn't see this on a Sky Sports loop or hear mention on match of the day? Anyone seen this incident reported elsewhere?

Bluedub - 27/11/2017 07:55

Fernandinho now one away after picking up a booking yesterday. Could do with him getting that against Southampton so that he's banned for the Hammers and fresh for the derby.

Meanwhile I see the Fail running a story today on a potential 3 game ban for Lukaku after he swung two kicks at Brighton defender Bong on Saturday. I didn't see this on a Sky Sports loop or hear mention on match of the day? Anyone seen this incident reported elsewhere?

No. Not a thing.

Rising - 27/11/2017 08:05

No. Not a thing.

Not surprising and this is where the press become dangerous, we all recall the witch hunt on Aguero last season. :019:

Or he's rested for West Ham as another option.
If he's booked in the derby, he won't miss Spurs, as Swansea away is in between.

As an aside, if you look at the incident yesterday, you would think it was the right decision.....BUT....he was already stumbling, and there was that huge air shot by Van Der Parra, which could've done some damage if he'd connected.

What would the referee have done in that case?

Flukekaku will face no action according to breaking news on BBC.
Of course he won't. He plays for the rags. #specialcase

Lineker & motd have been roundly criticised for failing to highlight the Lukaku incident. You can bet that had it been Aguero they & Sky would have had it in a rolling loop influencing opinions.

I'd play him Wednesday, and then bring Gundogan in for him against West Ham.
Yaya may at a stretch get the nod, if fit/available, but he's not as effective now compared to previous seasons, on the evidence so far.