Dirty Leeds | Vital Football

Dirty Leeds

At the moment, I’d much rather watch Leeds than Newcastle.
Bielsa’s inclination is to attack, Bruce’s is to defend.
No particular like of either club or their supporters, and in a different league, the result doesn’t concern me - but on this occasion - I’d like to see a victory for Leeds.

I have to say from a personal view point i would not want Leeds to beat any club. The whole way that Sheffield is treat as the poor relation in everything from infrastructure investment, transport links, local TV coverage and just about everything and anything really riles me.
If Leeds were playing the Taliban Athletic i would want the Taliban to win.

I have to say from a personal view point i would not want Leeds to beat any club. The whole way that Sheffield is treat as the poor relation in everything from infrastructure investment, transport links, local TV coverage and just about everything and anything really riles me.
If Leeds were playing the Taliban Athletic i would want the Taliban to win.

It’s hardly the fault of Leeds United or their current managerial/playing staff, if Sheffield Council has been run by complete incompetents over the last 70 or so years.
Blame our Council - and the large number of Sheffielders who, unable to think for themselves, voted them in because “I’ve always voted that way and that’s the way my dad always voted”. The public get the politicians the majority of them deserve - the rest of us just have to suffer the consequences. Rant over!!!

It’s hardly the fault of Leeds United or their current managerial/playing staff, if Sheffield Council has been run by complete incompetents over the last 70 or so years.
Blame our Council - and the large number of Sheffielders who, unable to think for themselves, voted them in because “I’ve always voted that way and that’s the way my dad always voted”. The public get the politicians the majority of them deserve - the rest of us just have to suffer the consequences. Rant over!!!
I share your view about our incompetent council 100%. However they are not responsible for a lack of a motorway between Sheffield and Manchester or the difference in investment between Sheffield and Leeds railway stations. Or the fact there isnt one sign for Sheffield from Leeds all the way down the M1 until you get to Sheffield. HS2 will not come into Sheffield on a high speed line and if the Northern Power House railway, East to West, is ever built it will not include Sheffield.
Maybe it is just me but the majority of goverment investment in Yorkshire does seem to go to the the Leeds City Region.

I share your view about our incompetent council 100%. However they are not responsible for a lack of a motorway between Sheffield and Manchester or the difference in investment between Sheffield and Leeds railway stations. Or the fact there isnt one sign for Sheffield from Leeds all the way down the M1 until you get to Sheffield. HS2 will not come into Sheffield on a high speed line and if the Northern Power House railway, East to West, is ever built it will not include Sheffield.
Maybe it is just me but the majority of goverment investment in Yorkshire does seem to go to the the Leeds City Region.

Sadly, I agree with you. :mad: :death:

I may be in the minority but I actually dislike Leeds more than I do the Pork. Working out of an office in Leeds for most of the 70's, I got to see first hand what utter scum a large section of their fanbase were and as much as I rate and respect their manager, I don't wish them anything but misery on the pitch.

Sadly, I agree with you. :mad: :death:
Leeds was as bad as Sheffield in the 70's and 80's, worse in fact in places, but their council had a plan to regenerate the City and actively encourage new business investment while improving the facilities and the infrastructure. This was over 30 years ago and they've stuck to it and built on it unlike the car hating success smothering shower running Sheffield. By the 90's, it took me longer to travel 12 miles to the centre of Sheffield at rush hour than it did to drive 40 odd miles up the M1 to the centre of Leeds so guess what? Everybody involved with my company had the same problem, staff and customers alike, so the 'new' Sheffield area office was closed after just 2 years and the Sheffield area coverage was split between Leeds and Derby/Burton again.

Last edited:
Leeds was as bad as Sheffield in the 70's and 80's, worse in fact in places, but their council had a plan to regenerate the City and actively encourage new business investment while improving the facilities and the infrastructure. This was over 30 years ago and they've stuck to it and built on it unlike the car hating success smothering shower running Sheffield. By the 90's, it took me longer to travel 12 miles to the centre of Sheffield at rush hour than it did to to drive 40 odd miles to the M1 to the centre of Leeds so guess what? Everybody involved with my company had the same problem, staff and customers alike, so the 'new' Sheffield area office was closed after just 2 years and the Sheffield area coverage was split between Leeds and Derby/Burton again.
I think the acid test of how bad our council is would be that even Rod and Charlie could not argue they had done a good job. I went into the centre of Sheffield and walked up Chapel Walk and the whole of Fargate last week, for the first time in ages.
Two places as a teenager i did most of my cloths and record shopping. I just felt an overwhelming feeling of embarrassment. Most of the shops are closed or are really cheap and tacky. The council should hang their heads in shame.

Last edited:

Exactly
Leeds has become a magnificent city in spite of having a Labour controlled council for most of politics existence

Same with Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, and Nottingham

The difference is that the Sheffield Council is not Labour, it is an outdated completely Communist local government that has latched itself onto the Labour Party and has restricted its citizens opportunities, kept them poor, kept them pretty ignorant and largely kept them within its boundary walls by ensuring they have no ambition, no knowledge of anything better, and those that do know a little better are kept within through its lack of infrastructure.
It's just too much hassle to go anywhere.

They've done everything short of building a wall around the place to keep big business out and keep Sheffield poor and insular

Sheffield Oblast's Council has been run by Marxists, housewives and ex miners for decades - it's no wonder the city's in the mess it's in. Millions wasted on the legacy-less student games, the Heart of the City projects and nonsense like the South Yorkshire Afro Caribbean Centre.

They still found time to officially recognise Palestine as a sovereign state and ban the President of the US from visiting the city. Utter crackpots.

I think the acid test of how bad our council is would be that even Rod and Charlie could not argue they had done a good job. I went into the centre of Sheffield and walked up Chapel Walk and the whole of Fargate last week, for the first time in ages.
Two places as a teenager i did most of my cloths and record shopping. I just felt an overwhelming feeling of embarrassment. Most of the shops are closed or are really cheap and tacky. The council should hang their heads in shame.
This Sheffield council being rubbish is definitely one thing that even those posters on Vital Blades that don't like me can blame me for BFL,i can't vote in Sheffield council elections.I'm not keen on Leeds United but i don't hate them, i don't even hate the fake massives.I love it when like last weekend we have a Sheffield Double to celebrate tho.UTB

This Sheffield council being rubbish is definitely one thing that even those posters on Vital Blades that don't like me can blame me for BFL,i can't vote in Sheffield council elections.I'm not keen on Leeds United but i don't hate them, i don't even hate the fake massives.I love it when like last weekend we have a Sheffield Double to celebrate tho.UTB
I think Magnetnotmaggots summed it up, the Labour council in Leeds have done an excellent job but the Marxist Council in Sheffield have killed what was a vibrant city centre.
That is my issue with Labour the far left element has too much power and they are the ones that do a poor job. Give me a Labour council like the one in Leeds and i would vote for them

I think they should pull down Fargate and build retirement homes for the elderly so they can walk\wander into the city centre. Make the centre of Sheffield smaller, from more or less "Top of the moor" onwards, put in more cafe bars, try and tempt John Lewis back ( dare i say Selfridge's) put some life back into the centre of the City - build a bigger market hall with stalls serving food as well as selling food and drink Spanish style - it's not rocket science ffs!

I genuinely think that the way Sheffield is perceived away from football directly effects the way our clubs are perceived.

No matter how well we played we were always tarred with the plucky little Sheffield brush playing out of our skin against the big boys in the Premier League. We'd spent plenty of money and our attendances were better than many established PL clubs but we were still seen as the minnows of the division more on a par with Bournemouth than Southampton, Wolves or Leicester in size.

Sheffield is perceived by many outside this area as a small town who's main industry is no more. Just another Halifax, Donny or Huddersfield, not the nation's 5th biggest City. How could little o'l Sheffield possibly house two well supported clubs with endless potential? The thing is the goons running this city are ok with that. They don't want to do or change anything that might change the equilibrium. They just want to draw their substantial salaries, think of new ways to keep people out of the city (including football fans) and blame everything on Westminster and Maggie Maggie Maggie Thatcher. It's easy really. Money for old rope if you know how.

One disaster after another this city btw we used to be comfortably the 4th biggest city in England they even managed to fuck that up,biggest bollock has to be WSG we’re still paying for that today 30 yrs on what a legacy that left,typical of this councils decisions was to put a temporary cycle lane on what leads onto penistone Rd I saw 2 cyclists on it the whole time it was in operation and I used to pass it every day for work meanwhile the traffic backed up to the roundabout at the uni ! As for the city centre it’s had more regenerations than dr who but has steadily been on a decline over the last 40 yrs they couldn’t organise one cos all the main breweries shut a long time ago 🤬 :rant:

I see the Council are £3m short on budgets, because Westminster, or Tories or something. If they spent a fraction of the effort they put into being the perpetual victims into encouraging business here they would have a deficit to worry about. All of this while they waste large sums of money being the 'City of Sanctuary'... They are still battling Margaret Thatcher, ffs. (Sound familiar..?).

As for this new Labour/Green coalition, they will finish the job. A brand new city centre full of empty shops and office buildings no-one wants because no-one can drive to them. Absolute clowns. On balance I'd rather have the SNP running the town.