Dieting. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Dieting.

I'm starting my Life style changes immediately. My case is a little different to others due to the amount of meds I take. I wish it was as simple as changing what I put in my mouth and what I do with my body, but no. I went from 78kg to 115kg in a few years after rolling an off road buggy. The accident triggered a reaction to 30 years of taking prednisone (a steroid for asthma) and I piled on the weight over night, without any dietary or exercise changes. I have not kicked a football in 7 years as the doctors advised my knees and hip could simply disintegrate.

Well, I've had enough. A mate of mine, Graham Fyfe (Google him), ex Celtic player, who now coaches the Brisbane Roar youth teams along side Robbie Fowler apparently has come to my rescue me from my pathetic existence..

He also plays in the Queensland Premier League for the same club as my youngest son, however in the seniors. He has vowed that "he's got my back" and has combined forces with a few very highly decorated nutritionists. All this happened just last night would you believe!

I made the decision that at 54, I can no longer just tread water or simply exist. I have zero energy, can't sleep, and eat out of convenience. It all stops today.

I shall keep you posted as to the progress, although I have a feeling they're going to sell me on their costly plan during our first zoom call tonight, when they'll explain their pathway to a fitter, happier healthier me.

A little advice on drinking, and believe me, I'm very experienced in this department.
I used to drink at least 4 over proof bourbon cans every night, plus some beers. My blood sugars were way too high, as I have Steroid induced Type 2 diabetes, so I cut it down to drinking every other day. Then, when I did drink, I cut that back to half of what I used to drink. Now, I'd be lucky to have 1 can every 2nd night.

If you cut back your alcohol consumption from each day to every 2nd day, you'll find you actually look forward to having a tipple rather than it being part of your every day routine. I have zero will power but found that a great and effective way to not only cutting down my intake but saving about $450 per month.

Any way, have a great Thursday everyone. A nice cooler day in Brisbane today. A top of 29 degrees and blue skies again.
Good luck Hod...it’s going to be tough but we’ve got your back!

Go and get some bacon and eggs with fried bread obviously !!!

I have taken the momentous decision to end alcohol between now and Xmas and follow the blood sugar diet for 8 weeks.

This to be accompanied by reviewing my lifestyle choices (as per RD's advice) - because if I can't do it now when all the things I enjoy are closed, and probably will be for some time to come, I'll never do it!

My personal take and input is do not diet but change the lifestyle regime.

Blood tests for the last few years have shown pre diabeties por moi, so
I have cut down .....

No or very rarely a beer because of the sugar content .
So mainly my tipple is Gin and Slimline or a Nice Malt whiskey.

I also reduce carb intake at meals although my love of tatties in any shape or form is a hardship I must admit, so now they only take a qtr of a plate, green (above ground stuff broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower etc) is a half and the last qtr is the meat stuff. No underground veg like carrots or Parsnips unless as a subby for the tatties.

I also have half sandwiches i.e one slice and only Low GI slow release brown bread. We only have wholemeal as well, pastas and spaghettis etc

I luckily do not have a sweet tooth so never miss sweets and chocolate.

My poison is the sugars released by carbs not other sugars!

Fruit wise its berries like blackberries and blueberries and an orange a day for brekkie for the 'C'' I keep away from bananas grapefruit apples pears etc

My weight is steady now I am 6ft and 12stone 4 lb on average..so look a bit gaunt now and according to the feckin science they still class me as borderline obese FFS (load of bollox)...when I worked I was still 6ft (ha ha ) but more like 16/17 stone...all those business lunches and clients wanting entertained!

My aim was/and is to reduce the waist line reduce the belly fat and hidden fat stored around my internal organs liver kidneys etc.

Latest blood test was still pre diabeties but reduced and the waist ratio has reduced so am stabilizing but need to do more. I may be unlucky in that it runs in my family history, so it may be inevitable that I get full blown type 2 whatever I do.

Fitness.

Well no running for me any more, years .of playing footie and golf have taken their toll on my joints. I hate all those lazy couch potatoes who will never need hip or joint replacements cos they never wore them out! Who said sports when young were good for you! ha ha

I walk a hell of a lot and also when I get the chance I love swimming and did a lot when playing footie so that helped me play until almost 50 (not this walking football nonsense!) No way could I walk towards a football...FFS. No sign yet of failing joints just normal wear and tear.

Can't complain...had years of abuse of my body, eating whatever I wanted and when I was exercising more, it was less of a problem, but this needs to be balanced day in day out now.

Not wanting medicine for diabeties for sure. Am 67 years young at the moment

Be careful out there guys!

Nice topic. I was always fit and healthy. Done marathons and played sport until a football injury left me unable to walk properly. I was then a keen biker but the mileage I was putting in both off road and on road just caused me even more pain in the long run. Eventually i became scared of the pain I was causing myself and the inability to sleep because of it. I gave up and became a fat bastard. I hate it.

Anyhow, I have 2 fit and active kids. One is a football referee and the other has ambitions of representing GB in the olympics in the next 4 or 5 yrs. Instead of exercising I spend all my time helping them achieve their goals. Even though I have never had experience in my daughters sport I taught myself and now coach her against people who have decades of experience. I love it.

Isolation has changed this a bit. Instead of rushing home from work to blast off somewhere to train, we now do it at home. I have time to join in myself. We are able to schedule things a lot easier. I am now joining in with HIT circuits, normal circuits, cycling (flat track and no more spds) weight sessions. I don’t seem to be losing much weight but feel a lot better for it. I draw the line at going for a run because of my knees but I am definately fitter than I was before isolation.

With regards to eating we have changed our habits for the better. We make a plan for the entire week and stick to it. I don’t buy McDonald’s at work and I haven’t had sausage and chips for a couple of months now. I am eating more fresh cooked food, better food and more expensive food than ever before. But we are spending less because we eat together and eat the right things

Nice topic. I was always fit and healthy. Done marathons and played sport until a football injury left me unable to walk properly. I was then a keen biker but the mileage I was putting in both off road and on road just caused me even more pain in the long run. Eventually i became scared of the pain I was causing myself and the inability to sleep because of it. I gave up and became a fat bastard. I hate it.

Anyhow, I have 2 fit and active kids. One is a football referee and the other has ambitions of representing GB in the olympics in the next 4 or 5 yrs. Instead of exercising I spend all my time helping them achieve their goals. Even though I have never had experience in my daughters sport I taught myself and now coach her against people who have decades of experience. I love it.

Isolation has changed this a bit. Instead of rushing home from work to blast off somewhere to train, we now do it at home. I have time to join in myself. We are able to schedule things a lot easier. I am now joining in with HIT circuits, normal circuits, cycling (flat track and no more spds) weight sessions. I don’t seem to be losing much weight but feel a lot better for it. I draw the line at going for a run because of my knees but I am definately fitter than I was before isolation.

With regards to eating we have changed our habits for the better. We make a plan for the entire week and stick to it. I don’t buy McDonald’s at work and I haven’t had sausage and chips for a couple of months now. I am eating more fresh cooked food, better food and more expensive food than ever before. But we are spending less because we eat together and eat the right things

That's so positive, that it almost makes the lockdown worthwhile, brilliant Hobo, absolutely first class!

Remember though lads life is short, so don't ever deprive yourself of the things you love. Just don't do it every day.

Try cutting down to just twice a week and see how you get on.

Have a mentality of " If I eat or drink something naughty I will have to burn the extra calories off myself".

Another great tip for fasting is eating in the 8 hour window rule. So for 16 hours of the day you don't eat a thing. You are allowed water, tea or Coffee but no milks or sugar. The beauty of this one is you can sleep for half of it.

Try a 12 noon to 20:00 time frame. Or 10-18:00 which is what I prefer. This does amazing things for your sugar and cholesterol levels. Over time you will find that your stomach will shrink quite a bit meaning you don't need to eat as much.

I haven't read the case studies for a while but the results were so good for so many things it's certainly worth a try. :thumbup:

I have taken the momentous decision to end alcohol between now and Xmas and follow the blood sugar diet for 8 weeks.

This to be accompanied by reviewing my lifestyle choices (as per RD's advice) - because if I can't do it now when all the things I enjoy are closed, and probably will be for some time to come, I'll never do it!

That's a huge commitment Ex and good for you my friend.

We should all look at this current situation as an opportunity to embark on ideas, challenges or "one day I will" scenarios and give them a red hot crack.

I know my new life style change will give me something fruitful to focus on, rather than my new normal routine which...quite simply is speeding up the process of growing old.

Wish you all the best Ex. Remember......Nothing easy is worthwhile.

You naffing hypocrite. I'm mad and you're a hero for quitting drinking. :rofl::thumbup::finger:

"If your 'weighty thinking' does not change, then even if you lose weight you'll retain an overwhelming subconscious urge to gain it back. It's less important how quickly you lose weight, and more important how holistically you lose weight; you want your mind, your emotions, and your body to all 'lose weight.' Weight that disappears from your body but not from your soul is simply recycling outward for a while but is almost certain to return. It's self-defeating, therefore, to struggle to drop excess weight unless you are also willing to drop the thought-forms that initially produced it and now hold it in place."- Marianne Williamson

You naffing hypocrite. I'm mad and you're a hero for quitting drinking. :rofl::thumbup::finger:

He's only a hero '80 IF he quits until Christmas. Anyone who can abstain from drink for 8 months is a hero in m my book. But only once the said plan has been accomplished.

So we'll all sit back having the occasional quality red wine, scotch or bourbon on ice, in a crystal glass, whilst taking darn good care of ourselves, whilst Ex is climbing the walls.

Oh, and we'll have to adopt the honor rule Ex, as only you'll know if you go the distance....which I'm sure you will.:tophat:
:grinning::bounce:

He's only a hero '80 IF he quits until Christmas. Anyone who can abstain from drink for 8 months is a hero in m my book. But only once the said plan has been accomplished.

So we'll all sit back having the occasional quality red wine, scotch or bourbon on ice, in a crystal glass, whilst taking darn good care of ourselves, whilst Ex is climbing the walls.

Oh, and we'll have to adopt the honor rule Ex, as only you'll know if you go the distance....which I'm sure you will.:tophat:

He won't last it. Nor should he need to. He just needs to stop drinking every day. :LOL:

It begins from May 1st as I am being allowed shortly after that, to move to my cottage in Sussex as my daughters are both looking like they will be returning to work in May and I have to remain isolated (having previously having had open-heart surgery after a big damaging car accident a long time ago, and the doc thinks I shouldn't take the risk even now); I expect a tough time, but will let you know if I slip.

It begins from May 1st as I am being allowed shortly after that, to move to my cottage in Sussex as my daughters are both looking like they will be returning to work in May and I have to remain isolated (having previously having had open-heart surgery after a big damaging car accident a long time ago, and the doc thinks I shouldn't take the risk even now); I expect a tough time, but will let you know if I slip.
EX, firstly good luck with the move and secondly what I learned from the Noom approach was that if you exclude things you really enjoy completely from your diet you give up quite quickly, whereas if you include them as treats you adjust to a new way of thinking.....quite apart from all the healthy eating stuff the bottom line to losing weight as you will know is that it boils down to calories in versus calories out and the best way to maintain that is to change the way you think about food and drink and count those calories.

EX, firstly good luck with the move and secondly what I learned from the Noom approach was that if you exclude things you really enjoy completely from your diet you give up quite quickly, whereas if you include them as treats you adjust to a new way of thinking.....quite apart from all the healthy eating stuff the bottom line to losing weight as you will know is that it boils down to calories in versus calories out and the best way to maintain that is to change the way you think about food and drink and count those calories.

I know you're right Hari, I once went sober for 6 months a few years back, and the weight dropped off me...so know I can do it, but then I'll have to learn to adjust to a much more 'modest' in take!

Good morning. Well, I quit for a year. A long and boring story related to starting my first business that I will save you all from. Say thank you.

I hope Ex makes it. Nothing better to clear the mind and ignite the ambition to higher levels

Grey skies, 4 degrees today. Might clear later.

Hosting an employee trivia night tonight and a friends trivia night tomorrow night. Eventful weekend huh? Naff me.

Anyway, on we plough with a smile and thanks to all the people in our life who make it interesting.