Dier: "we'll shut them up"... | Vital Football

Dier: "we'll shut them up"...

Spursex

Alert Team
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/socc...ill-shut-up-transfer-window-critics-eric-dier

Tottenham Hotspur will 'shut up' transfer window critics - Eric Dier
play
12:00 PM
  • i

Ben PearceTottenham blogger
Tottenham Hotspur plan to "shut up" their critics after becoming the first Premier League club not to sign a player during a summer window, Eric Dier has said.
Speaking after Spurs began the season with a 2-1 win at Newcastle on Saturday, Dier argued that few rivals had succeeded in strengthening their teams.

"It's a great challenge for us to shut everyone up, really," he said. "We're going to enjoy that challenge. We've got a fantastic squad here, fantastic players throughout the team in every position.

"To strengthen it is not easy as well. You can look at all the other teams around us -- they might have signed players, but not many of those players that they've signed are better than the players they've already got.

"Obviously there are signings that have been made which are players of high quality, but in many cases I don't believe that they've signed players that are better than they already have."

England international Dier stressed that Spurs had "a fantastic group" that had been challenging for honours in the past three seasons.

"We all really enjoy training together, playing together, being with each other," he added. "The manager said it before -- we're in a fight but we're having to use different tools.

"We've known that for the last three years and we have to try and compensate for what other clubs can do in different ways, with our attitude, our work ethic, our desire."

Dier was part of the England squad that reached the World Cup semifinals, but said he would only pat himself on the back when he had a winner's medal.

"Hugo [Lloris] can be a changed man because Hugo won it," he said. "Everyone else, we're in the same boat. If you don't win it you could get knocked out in the first round or lose in the final, it doesn't matter.

"Everyone else, back here at Tottenham we got to the [FA Cup] semifinal last year but we need to go that one step further and win."

More at the link above...

Everyone loves an underdog. That was drilled into me for decades being a Spurs fan. Love the attitude of Dier. The guy has minerals as demonstrated with his WC penalty after Vardy pulled out last minute.

Whilst I'm still not happy with Levy's mis-execution, and unsure he's the right man to take us forward, you cannot fault the players attitudes. They all want to improve and have a togetherness created sine Poch took charge.

Besides, transfer windows come around quick. Only 4 1/2 months until the next one.

Everyone loves an underdog. That was drilled into me for decades being a Spurs fan. Love the attitude of Dier. The guy has minerals as demonstrated with his WC penalty after Vardy pulled out last minute.

Whilst I'm still not happy with Levy's mis-execution, and unsure he's the right man to take us forward, you cannot fault the players attitudes. They all want to improve and have a togetherness created sine Poch took charge.

Besides, transfer windows come around quick. Only 4 1/2 months until the next one.

I think both Levy and Poch bear responsibility for what's happened.

I think both Levy and Poch bear responsibility for what's happened.

Heard you say this a few times but never fully understood your angle. I get the bit about Poch's previous targets may have not been right making it hard to rotate them out. Levy knew that coming into this window though and still couldn't execute.

Are you saying Poch had the wrong targets or something?

Heard you say this a few times but never fully understood your angle. I get the bit about Poch's previous targets may have not been right making it hard to rotate them out. Levy knew that coming into this window though and still couldn't execute.

Are you saying Poch had the wrong targets or something?

It's water under the bridge now; I believe Poch had other choices and 'his stubbornness' v 'our inability to get A list deals done' = no new signings.

TBH, I'm still peeved that we willingly let Gomes slip through our fingers.

Of Course, I hope I'm wrong and he fails miserably - but I bet he doesn't.

I think if Pochettino really had wanted a certain player, Levy would have got one for him but I think Pochettino didn’t see anyone that would really make a difference and let’s be fair, if you do buy in a player or two, unless they fit right in immediately, you have an adjusting phase to go through. Maybe Pochettino didn’t want that.

Last edited:
We saw loads of statements like this last season from the players and they delivered nothing except a top 4 place...why can't they just keep their big mouths shut and do their talking on the pitch....after last Saturday the MF and Defence need a good talking to, not just talking empty words for the sake of it.

Looking at the style of play of Liverpool and City, leaving aside the quality of the individuals and just concentrating on the style of play they were both faster, moved the ball forward quicker, had 5 sometimes 6 players supporting their attacks. Compare that to Poch's system and we seem light years behind but I guess we will only find out when we play them.

I feel that we haven't seen the best of last year's recruits yet e.g.Llorente,Moura,Aurier & N'Koudou.They all did well in the pre season tour of the USA. So Poch start giving these guys more playing time before indulging in the usual Levy merry go round of buying players then a few months later sending them out on loan or selling them .

We saw loads of statements like this last season from the players and they delivered nothing except a top 4 place...why can't they just keep their big mouths shut and do their talking on the pitch....after last Saturday the MF and Defence need a good talking to, not just talking empty words for the sake of it.

Looking at the style of play of Liverpool and City, leaving aside the quality of the individuals and just concentrating on the style of play they were both faster, moved the ball forward quicker, had 5 sometimes 6 players supporting their attacks. Compare that to Poch's system and we seem light years behind but I guess we will only find out when we play them.

I like Dier's statement.

It was about winning silverware is all that matters.

It was also about a team being written off just as the season has started and we now hear how at least one of them is thinking - if it reflects how the rest are rallying around to prove all the pundits (and me) wrong - I'm all for it.

Slagging off our chances could really bring the best out of them as a team.

If, and it is a BIG IF, Dier embraces the CB position he can be one of the best.

Last edited:
If anyone needs to prove he can get better it's Eric. He's a good lad proper mentality but his own development has stalled he looked like he could be a top CB then CM now he looks like a bang average both.

People seem to forget how good he was at CB at the beginning. There's gotta be a reason Poch believes that will be his best position in the long run, but he's definitely stagnating a bit. Bang average might be a little harsh but he's not lived up to his potential.

People seem to forget how good he was at CB at the beginning. There's gotta be a reason Poch believes that will be his best position in the long run, but he's definitely stagnating a bit. Bang average might be a little harsh but he's not lived up to his potential.

I will never understand why Poch let him win the argument over his best position; it makes no sense to me whatsoever.

He could easily be the best English CB around, if not one of the best in the Premier league, yet as a DM'er he has gone from reasonably good to bang average in just under two seasons - it drives me nuts.

Dier epitomises the lack of pace in our midfield;pair him up with Dembele & it's not surprising that we can't counter attack like Liverpool,Chelsea or Citeh. The only way we can do it is through Rose & Aurier attacking on the flanks with Toby pinging long balls into the space in front of them.Difficult when the coach is not picking Rose or Toby for being 'disloyal'.

I will never understand why Poch let him win the argument over his best position; it makes no sense to me whatsoever.

He could easily be the best English CB around, if not one of the best in the Premier league, yet as a DM'er he has gone from reasonably good to bang average in just under two seasons - it drives me nuts.

Has he actually won the argument? Or was it more that he wasn't getting in the team at CB and Wanyama injury meant DM was wide open.

If he'd not been so bloody vain with delusions of being Robin to his BFF Dele as Barman in midfield he'd be what Maguire is now. A combative ball playing CB that we raved over. Sheer vanity you would think seeing Pogba and Dembele close up he get all the stuff he can't do...

I like Dier's statement.

It was about winning silverware is all that matters.

It was also about a team being written off just as the season has started and we now hear how at least one of them is thinking - if it reflects how the rest are rallying around to prove all the pundits (and me) wrong - I'm all for it.

Slagging off our chances could really bring the best out of them as a team.

If, if, if Ex